Names and their Meanings (Largely ROTF) **spoilers**

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Tramp
Protoform

Names and their Meanings (Largely ROTF) **spoilers**

Post by Tramp »

The main problem with calling the purple bike Elita-1 is Arcee's the leader of the trio. If the third bike were Elita-1, then she, not Arcee, should be the leader. There are several names they could give the third sister—Minerva, Road Rage, Override, Roulette, etc. With over 80+ female Transformers' names to choose from, it shouldn't be too hard to select one that fits.
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

Tramp wrote:The main problem with calling the purple bike Elita-1 is Arcee's the leader of the trio. If the third bike were Elita-1, then she, not Arcee, should be the leader. There are several names they could give the third sister—Minerva, Road Rage, Override, Roulette, etc. With over 80+ female Transformers' names to choose from, it shouldn't be too hard to select one that fits.
Why, exactly?
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Gouki wrote:Why, exactly?
Because, Elita-1 is the female counterpart (and mate) of Optimus Prime. She's the leader of the Female Autobots. Even her name is nearly synonymous with Optimus' name, which itself means "Best First" in Latin. Elita's name is derived from the word Elite, which means, "the choice or best of anything collectively." Thus, Elita-1 means "Chosen One" or "Best One". Her name alone establishes her as the best of the best, the highest of the high. She is the "elite" one. This alone places her above Arcee. It's the name of a great leader.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Well that's it. I'm going to change my name to "I'm better than you, and all women in the universe want me." Then it'll have to be true!
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

RID Scourge wrote:Well that's it. I'm going to change my name to "I'm better than you, and all women in the universe want me." Then it'll have to be true!
ROFLMAO!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
borg72

Post by borg72 »

Tramp wrote:The main problem with calling the purple bike Elita-1 is Arcee's the leader of the trio. If the third bike were Elita-1, then she, not Arcee, should be the leader. There are several names they could give the third sister—Minerva, Road Rage, Override, Roulette, etc. With over 80+ female Transformers' names to choose from, it shouldn't be too hard to select one that fits.
i'm torn between :wall: and :deadhorse:
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

Tramp wrote:Because, Elita-1 is the female counterpart (and mate) of Optimus Prime. She's the leader of the Female Autobots.
For G1, maybe. This isn't G1.
Even her name is nearly synonymous with Optimus' name, which itself means "Best First" in Latin. Elita's name is derived from the word Elite, which means, "the choice or best of anything collectively." Thus, Elita-1 means "Chosen One" or "Best One". Her name alone establishes her as the best of the best, the highest of the high. She is the "elite" one.
And Bumblebee should totally be stocky, and able to fly with no help. And I hope Ironhide's arse is truly made of iron and only iron.
This alone places her above Arcee.
Shouldn't it place her above Prime, too?
It's the name of a great leader.
Not, it's not.
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Protoform

Post by Xeno-the-Hedgehog »

If Chromia and Demolishor had a kid, it would probably look like HA Arcee's robot mode.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Xeno-the-Hedgehog wrote:If Chromia and Demolishor had a kid, it would probably look like HA Arcee's robot mode.
But that would break Sideways' heart!
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Protoform

Post by Xeno-the-Hedgehog »

What drew you to that conclusion?
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Gouki wrote:For G1, maybe. This isn't G1.
That doesn't matter. The essence of the character is still important, hers isn't the type of name you can just slap on any character.

And Bumblebee should totally be stocky, and able to fly with no help. And I hope Ironhide's arse is truly made of iron and only iron.
Very funny. Ironhide is named so because his armor is nigh invulnerable to most damage.

Shouldn't it place her above Prime, too?
No, because his name means essentially the same thing as hers. Optimus Prime is Latin for "Best First"
Not, it's not.
Yes, it is. "Chosen One", "Best One", "Highest One". That is what Elita's name means. It is the name of a leader. She is the Elite one among the female Autobots. That is where the name comes from. It's all in the name. It isn't the type of name you give a subordinate.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Tramp wrote: Yes, it is. "Chosen One", "Best One", "Highest One". That is what Elita's name means. It is the name of a leader. She is the Elite one among the female Autobots. That is where the name comes from. It's all in the name. It isn't the type of name you give a subordinate.
We don't really know when they get named, though, do we? Maybe Elita-1 just had really, really optimistic parents.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Summerhayes wrote:We don't really know when they get named, though, do we? Maybe Elita-1 just had really, really optimistic parents.
Well, looking back on previous canon, Leaders—particularly among the Autobot ranks— often take on new names upon ascending to that postion. Optronix/Orion Pax (DW and Sunbow respectively) became Optimus Prime upon gaining the Matrix. In the cartoon, Ariel was reborn as Elita-1 at the same time as Orion became Optimus, becoming leader of the female ranks.

In the movie-verse, Optimus was already leader of the science division even before he even knew he was a Prime, ruling Cybertron along side Megatron, leader of the military. His name alone establishes him as a leader. one of the Nobility. Elita's name as well, places her in this class, a high ranking officer, a leader, Nobility, Aristocracy.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Explains why Prince is so rich, doesn't it?
borg72

Post by borg72 »

Tramp wrote:Well, looking back on previous canon
i'm frankly amazed you even know this word exists (although you still seem to be utterly lacking in any clue about the 'previous' part)

if i might make a call for a :derailed:?

i re-watched the movie last night and made two very particular notes, one of them toy related(ish):

1: you can happily drop any attempt at shoe-horning 'the thirteen' in... jetfire is extremely categorical when he states that there were seven (and only seven) primes.

2. the arcee bikes... apparently not a 'hive mind'/triocon... the very first scene they are in, they are in a truck in shanghai being dropped off with a bunch of nest buggy things. its underneath the music/optimus intro, but she says 'we're ready' after being referred to as (possibly, it was hard to hear this bit) 'arcee team'.

i say this as it lends more credence to the toy names
Civ

Post by Civ »

Speaking of back to topic, I am moving the relevant posts out of the ROTF toy thread so that it can remain solely about the toys; therefore, you guys get your own thread. Let the debate continue.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Chris McFeely
Protoform

Post by Chris McFeely »

I'd think the major argument for the third bike not being Elita One would be that Elita One died in "Reign of Starscream".
Raze
Protoform

Post by Raze »

Chris McFeely wrote:I'd think the major argument for the third bike not being Elita One would be that Elita One died in "Reign of Starscream".
Since when did paying attention to things win arguments? :lol:
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Chris McFeely wrote:I'd think the major argument for the third bike not being Elita One would be that Elita One died in "Reign of Starscream".

He's right you know, there's only one canon after all, Takara say so.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

borg72 wrote:2. the arcee bikes... apparently not a 'hive mind'/triocon... the very first scene they are in, they are in a truck in shanghai being dropped off with a bunch of nest buggy things. its underneath the music/optimus intro, but she says 'we're ready' after being referred to as (possibly, it was hard to hear this bit) 'arcee team'.
I'm pretty sure it was "Arcee bikes" or something like that. I've only seen twice

Although "team" and "we're" don't necessarily mean they're not a trimind/triplicate/whatever the word is: I, for one, haven't got a clue how I would talk to an entity like that. I'd probably find it really awkward.