[Fun Publications] Club and Convention comics

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

[Fun Publications] Club and Convention comics

Post by Denyer »

Timelines #1: Beast Wars

http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=98&itemid=8935

Anyone get this? Anyone willing to review it who knows stuff about Beast Wars?

(Maybe I should say "anyone getting this?" It was already available at BotCon, I think, but is being released through Diamond with other bits in on the 29th.)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

"In an attempt to cash in on the anniversary of Beast Wars and shift some easily-mass-produced repaints to some gullible fans at extortionate prices, Hasbro commissioned this as a marketing tool.

It probably serves as a prelude to the tv series and contextually probably makes very little sense. But Ben Yee's contributed, so this piece of what would otherwise be dismissed as fanwank has the Official Transformers Fandom Mark of Approval."

There you go. There's your review.

On a more serious note - anybody managed to gather an explanation as to why Cheetor's pre-Earth mode has spots?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I know One Shall Stand has some in, if they're not all gone by my next pay day I might get one in and review it if so.

Random question: As the Marvel GI Joe crossover was released as a tbp around the time of G2 would a review for the Marvel trades section of the site be welcome (once I've found time for Fallenstar of course). As a sort of general warning to people...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

I picked it up the other day. I'll do a review for it but I'm not great on Beast Wars General Knowledge. I watched the whole series recently but only once. You may need another review to put the comic into context but I'll do a review anyway.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Read it due to hookup described below, wasn't bad, packed a lot in.

http://oneshallstand.com/2005-present/timelines1.html

I'll do an alternate review for here when I get chance.
As the Marvel GI Joe crossover was released as a tbp around the time of G2 would a review for the Marvel trades section of the site be welcome (once I've found time for Fallenstar of course). As a sort of general warning to people...
Could probably slot it in somewhere.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Originally posted by Brendocon
[BOn a more serious note - anybody managed to gather an explanation as to why Cheetor's pre-Earth mode has spots? [/B]
Measles?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cybertron: Balancing Act (mass-market release by IDW)

Out on the 25th June. :)

Preview: http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/preview ... cellaneous

(The preview is minus text. The issue isn't...)
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Bought it and I have skimmed it at this point.

I look forward to reading it later, but with the IDW universe and the movie prequel going on, There is too many story lines to start another, so I'm gonna wait a while to read this.
Come on and wind me up.
inflatable dalek

Soooooo, that was a bit odd. Nice to have it collected together, but it rambled a faiur bit and often didn't make a lot of sense. Nice art though.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Meh. The story meanders around a lot, there's not really a point to it other then "MUST STOP UNICRON SAVE UNIVERSE EXCLAMATION MARK", characters pop up rather randomly ("A cross-dimensional portal just opened! Another non-show character who got a toy recently has just arrived!"), the plot pretty much just serves to jump from one battle scene to the next one, Unicron's resurrection occurs rather abruptly, and the ending leaves a lot to be desired.

Also, while the character artwork itself isn't bad, the visual storytelling and dynamics and such leave a lot to be desired.

Overall, this one reads a lot like a better fan comic moreso than an officiall licensed comic by professionals.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Dreadwing
Protoform

Post by Dreadwing »

What is this and what, if anything, does it connect to? Is it just IDW dumping out another random story like Hearts of Steel? Could it be the end of the Armada/Energon comic from DW? Somebody please explain it to me.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It was produced by the Official Transformers Club -- IDW are just helping them to publish it as a regular comic, which gives people opportunity to buy it from a store rather than subscribe to FunPub and get it a few pages at a time in the Club newsletter.

There's some info here.
inflatable dalek

There is a small tie in to the defunct Universe comic put out by the previous convention peeps in that RID Prime and Magnus mention having just come from the big punch up there. To have been kidnapped once to take part in a huge cross continuity fan wank is bad enough, twice is quiet beyond the pale.

Isn't Prime'sArmadaMinicon being tied into Cybertron from the DW Energon comic, or did that happen in the cartoon as well?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Well, finally got round to reading this over the weekend and my first impression was "oooohhh, pretty!". Got to admit it, there's an absolute riot of colour there - shame about the plot, which actually seemed to go nowhere after the initial couple of chapters, but I didn't actually care once the Primes started arriving (did the interdimensional bus just come in?). Sentinel Maximus, at least, got to toss in a couple of very good, dry lines.

Do I want to know more? Bring out bumper issue 2 and I'll give it a go, as I hate to see plotlines unfinished.

And Ramjet really rocked.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Philister
Protoform

Post by Philister »

From what I can tell this comic tries to combine plots from several different sources:

- The defunct Dreamwave Armada/Energon comic (Overrun, Downshift, etc.)
- The defunct Universe Comic (Omega Prime's appearance)
- The Cybertron TV series (the surrounding events)
- The Classics toy line (the universe we briefly see at the end)

While I didn't find the comic all that bad, I think it tried to be a bit too much. The many scenes with Vector Prime at the beginning (from the Marvel comics, Beast Wars, Armada, and others) are pretty much just easter eggs, since they can't all possibly be tied into the same universe.

Btw, Vector Prime kinda alludes to having met Ramjet before. Was there another Club-comic or something that featured him?
Tramp
Protoform

Moved

Post by Tramp »

Originally posted by Philister
From what I can tell this comic tries to combine plots from several different sources:

- The defunct Dreamwave Armada/Energon comic (Overrun, Downshift, etc.)
- The defunct Universe Comic (Omega Prime's appearance)
- The Cybertron TV series (the surrounding events)
- The Classics toy line (the universe we briefly see at the end)

While I didn't find the comic all that bad, I think it tried to be a bit too much. The many scenes with Vector Prime at the beginning (from the Marvel comics, Beast Wars, Armada, and others) are pretty much just easter eggs, since they can't all possibly be tied into the same universe.

Btw, Vector Prime kinda alludes to having met Ramjet before. Was there another Club-comic or something that featured him?

They're tied to the same multiverse, not universe. Their connection is Primus, Unicron, and the Original 13 who are Multiversal singularities. Primus exists on all universes—all realities— at the same time while Unicron travels between realities. The Original 13 are also capable of travelling between realities. Vector Prime in particular has demonstrated this ability on more than one occasion as Guardian of Space and Time.