Lego sort and store

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Paul053

Lego sort and store

Post by Paul053 »

Just curious, how do you store your Lego pieces?

Originally I was putting them back to their original box but now with the increase amount of sets we have now plus got quite a few pieces from garage sale, I have to think about how to store before handing them all over to kids (they will dump all on the floor and we will end up missing pieces). Do you use something like storage container for papers? Just need some more ideas.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I've split it into containers -- 2xN blocks (i.e. basic LEGO), castle stuff, stuff I'm not likely to use, stuff I am likely to use (mainly small fiddly bits up to 1xN tiles and blocks), and minifigs.

Not really a regular builder. Once I've made CAD files of the last project (Space Marines Dreadnought) I'm probably going to make a variant of it and see what else is do-able...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Just sorted by part type (by colour makes it surprisingly difficult to find stuff). Models kept built up in boxes.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

i have mine in a large toy trunk and have flattened all the boxes and put the manuals in a folder. years ago, when i was small, i had all my bricks arranged by colour in various storage trays.The only sets that are still boxed are the farm, fire station and police hq from a few years ago as they are too damn big to fit in my trunk.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Thanks. What I worry the most is if only me organizing them, that will be fine. But after kids go through building and tearing things, no matter how much I teach them to sort, these pieces will all be mixed eventually and I have to go through again. Well, guess better than all on the floor.

And the Lego Sort & Store thing looks very useless and expensive.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Mine is split between 3 boxes. One is more organised because it's an official Lego one with compartments and stuff, another is more of a catch all box with all kinds of stuff in (mainly larger bits) and the other is full of completed models and minifigs.

But thats all gone out the window for now as last week I went on a ferocious sorting binge based on how the pieces are sorted in Lego Digital Designer for an art peice (by brick then by colour).
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

For the majority of my pieces I store them in a large bin with a lid. If I need anything sorted further (colors or whatever) than that I usually divide it up and put the sorted stuff in 1 gallon freezer bags, that way they squish down and I can still store them in the large container with the rest of the stuff. Same goes for my minifigs.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

How do I store my Legos?

Sadly: out of reach.

You see, I've a handicapped sister (that I help care for) whose buckets are the end repositories of all things not nailed down and anything obviously not nailed down because she can pry it up (like door knobs, which are virtually absent from our doors). She has lots of Duplos that I do occasionally try to get her to actually try to play with but she'll have nothing of it because to make something of Legos is to reduce the number of handy things to put in buckets. For that reason she'll eagerly dismantle anything built while she's elsewhere.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

I store mine built up on the living floor for my son Kyle to play with:

This is me and my 7745 on Christmas Day 1988:

and this is him a few weeks back (23 years later):

It just goes to show "look after your Lego and it will look after you"
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Fire Chief Go-Karts FTW. I love that little set.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Cliffjumper wrote:Fire Chief Go-Karts FTW. I love that little set.
Aye its one of my faves.
His collection is mostly all 80s goodness.
More pics(and my feeble attempts at humour)here:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p ... try1061223

in case anyones interested.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I usually end up with a Shell station at the end of the runway. Got to justify the gargantuan fire department somehow...
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Its the Police with me-more cops than townspeople to look after.
Sades

Post by Sades »

martyboy- your pictures make me want to pull Legos from the closet and build.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

It is your duty.
Do it....do it NOW!
Sades

Post by Sades »

I didn't do it then. But I AM going to, once I get home from trying to buy a pirate hat. Which I am buying specifically to wear while playing with Legos. Or possibly for Halloween, but I might wear it while playing with Legos.

On topic: As I've mentioned, our Legos (technically his) reside in the closet. In a box.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Lego. It doesn't get pluralised. Don't make us invade you again.