Deviations "What If?" comic one shots

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

"What If... we tried Hearts of Steel again?"

Just joking.

Maybe if these sell through we'll get some more Parker.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Promising prospect, assuming they get to work with a full franchise wide of material and Hasbro keep the **** out of things. The cartoon's habit of convenient reset buttons mean there are a load of fun ideas there, with lots of various points to kill off Prime and/or the Ark crew.

Ironically the Marvel comic wouldn't be so rich as the bad option tended to happen, though some chaos theory ideas might be good - what if Grimlock plain old killed Blaster on the moon, decided he didn't need Optimus and carried on leading the Autobots to apathetic disaster.

IDW's material is too easy. What If... The Monsterbots Had Their Own Personalities?; What If... Furman Had Actually Mapped Things Out?; What If... The DJD Actually Lived Up To The Hype And Killed The Lost Light Crew Apart From One Who Was Conveniently Dead In A Parallel Universe?

Actually, in fairness a LSotW one where Impactor bullies Prowl into sending in a transport to pick up Squadron X and it causes a galactic war would be a bit interesting.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Or how about "What if All Hail Megatron didn't happen"?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Agree with Cliffjumper's sentiments. It'd be nice to dip into some less familiar and less-well regarded areas - Armada, RiD, Universe even...

What If..? managed to be a reasonable success for Marvel, but only where the stories were good enough to back up the premises and just didn't opt for the easy route of everything going to s*** because character x didn't do y in this alternate reality. Although I've a very limited frame of reference, Ivan Velez did a stunning Ghost Rider one whereby Blackheart had got to (1990s Ghost Rider) Danny Ketch in childhood, slowly turning him into a murderer, so by the time he becomes Ghost Rider, the human host is so badly corrupted the Rider can't actually function. And obvs, the Death's Head one I own is also a hoot.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I could go for some big crazy death-mad ones but the problem with Transformers is that loads of people died in the regular comics anyway - What If Starscream Got The Underbase And Wiped Out 75% Of The Cast? What If Megatron And Galvatron Teamed Up And Killed Everyone? and so on. Regular character deaths also saw lots of stuff played out - we got to see what'd happen if Optimus died because, well, he tended to a lot (spoiler: Grimlock ****s everything up, quicker each time... it's amazing he didn't have time to get every single Autobot killed in the few frames Prime spends being eaten by the Swarm in G2 #12).
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I can see why they're doing it, but it's not something that really does much for me because we already have lots and lots of alternate Transformers continuities, even including just "G1", so it press many of my buttons. As a one off (at the moment anyway) it makes sense to do the single most obvious one as well.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!