Rubbish shoehorned characters.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Rubbish shoehorned characters.

Post by Auntie Slag »

Are there any TF's in the G1 universe who you feel really don't fit? The most obvious one's being Arcee and Wheelie I suppose.

I never liked Cerebros, & thought the idea of someone becoming his head, so Cerebros could become Fort Max's head a bit of an odd thing. He also seems pretty devoid of character both in the comics and Rebirth (he was a bit of ajohnny one-note with his pacifist schtick).

Also never really got on with Backstreet. Don't know why, I think it's his head design that makes him come across as a 9th rate Masters of the Universe toy mixed in with a Gobot. Override & Dogfight seemed pretty cool by comparison.

Sandstorm was wasted in both mediums because by all accounts he should have been a nutter. Proper Wrecker material, but we never really saw him wreck anything.

This is all because I watched Rebirth yesterday and Cerebros just stuck out like a saw thumb. Spike seemed to look upon him like a favoured old bit of kit. Silly sod.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Hosehead. You've got the trio of the cool detective, his brash young sidekick and... the guy who hangs round with them because he's in the same toy subgroup. Silly inuendous name as well.
grimlockprime108
Protoform

Post by grimlockprime108 »

cartoon sweeps.i never minded back ground palette swapped cannon fodder,but these guys were at the forefront of g1 season 3 for no good reason other than they're boss was an underling directly to galvatron
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Hmm, why did Arcee get so much screen time when there was no toy to flog off the back of her?

Although that would imply only the best selling toys featured in the cartoon, and I find it a bit hard to believe either Ironhide or Perceptor were at the top of many kids wish lists.

Never cared for Silverbolt either.

Telus & Rotorbolt, they were much more like it.
Airazor

Post by Airazor »

The Quintessons. They're shoehorned in like that. Just because they featured in TFTM, season 3 suddenly retcons them as being the Transformers' granddaddies. Never liked them.

Hardhead too. The original headmasters were the stuffy computer programmer, the elitist thinker and the scientist. Hardhead the military bot got lumped together with them.

The Matrix. Worst shoehorn ever.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Apart from any new character introduced in The Rebirth?

The Skuxxoid. I never understood why a character without a toy featured in a number of episodes as he did. His tasks couldn't be done by a Decepticon with an actual toy on the shelves?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The Movie cast. Especially the hardened veteran Kup, who we hadn't seen before, and Ultra Magnus, Optimus Prime's trusted heir, who no-one had bothered mentioning before either. Actually, it's mainly those two who bug me - Blurr and Springer are just more generic Autobots. The annoying ones are the ones they half-heartedly pretend were there all along, they just didn't do anything about Shockwave single-handedly running Cybertron because SHUT UP YOUR GAY and they jump up the chain of command instead of Optimus' trusted lieutenants like Prowl, Jazz and... eh... Ironhide because YOUR MOMMA SO FAT.

I personally felt, while not perfect, that the Rebirth Autobot characters worked a little bit better, just because it was more believable that the Autobots would turn up a dozen more troops when they'd had the run of Cybertron for a while. But then the problem this time is with the Decepticons - where did Galvatron get another dozen from when he's spend a couple of years hiding on a rock and he's as mad as Joey Barton in a blender?

Comics-wise, I always felt the introduction of the Crap Pretenders and the Powermasters was pushing things a little bit, in terms of them being on Steelhaven all along. "Who to trust with the personality of our greatest leader? How about those three idiots who've done nothing since we left Cybertron and stayed hiding on the ship while the Decepticons had a damn good tilt at wiping us out?"
snavej

Post by snavej »

Shoehornatron (UK G1 imaginary comic, no. 350). Turned into a shoe horn and hid at Clarks shoe shop for decades.;)
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

I'll phuk a gopher up!
S_Windell
Protoform

Post by S_Windell »

Auntie Slag wrote:Hmm, why did Arcee get so much screen time when there was no toy to flog off the back of her?

Although that would imply only the best selling toys featured in the cartoon, and I find it a bit hard to believe either Ironhide or Perceptor were at the top of many kids wish lists.

Never cared for Silverbolt either.
Love or it hate it, Arcee is quite popular. And from what I remember, Perceptor has always been a pretty popular toy. But I do agree, the show didn't necessarily seem to "star" characters based on toy sales. If anything, the opposite is probably true. How many kids only got the Ironhide toy because he was a favorite character?

Silverbolt I thought had a cool dynamic- leader of the Aerialbots with acrophobia? But that was his only real character trait, other than that he was rather bland. And it also came across as a bit corny that this was the reason he was given the lead role. "Hey, rank'll help with confidence, give you something else to focus on." Worst tactical decision ever! It's like giving a pacifist, conscientious objector the role of lead sniper.

Punch/Counterpunch is the main one that bothered me. Here's a guy who could have had an interesting story written around him. Instead, he was limited to the buy-new-toys cluster of Rebirth and his two lines or so made what could've been a decent feature episode for him come across as Clark Kent taking off his glasses.