Transformers 3D Card Game

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Brimstone
Protoform

Transformers 3D Card Game

Post by Brimstone »

So...I did a search on "card game" (on these boards) and came up with nothing, so this seemed like a good place to mention it...or better yet to ask questions about it. Does anyone have any news or know just what the heck this is all about?

http://www.wizards.com/transformers/

It is definately the first I've heard of it. It kind of looks like that Pirates game, but beyond that...I've got nothin'.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Thats officially topped the list as the worst Transformers merch of the last few years for me, just managing to beat those stupid Armada lego type things..
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Leaving aside the fact they've managed to spell "transforms" wrong, this has to be a joke? Bits of rapidly-wearing cardboard stick together to make unconvincing 2D-limbed robots?

Flatman is in the house!
starscreamjericho
Protoform

Post by starscreamjericho »

This isn't a joke just a stupid idea. They also spelled scorponok wrong which shows they have no clue whats happening.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Hasbro is running out of ideas for transformers.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

If it's anything like the Pirates game, then no, it's not cardboard, it's plastic.

But, part of the novelty of the Pirates games is the ships are pretty cool (also, the game is pretty fun)...but these don't look so great.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

No. I'm waiting for the Top Trumps TF film edition with, quite possibly, a 'classics' set, too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Looks like /one/ figure per booster, too.. $4.00 (US) per figure? That's insane. I'll buy a starter and a booster to rate them fairly, though, but this seems like a double-rush-job, one to capitalize on the Pirates market (which also explains the new Star Wars Construction Game), and one to capitalize on the movie.

Half-assed efforts, though, hurt more in the long run than any short-term profit gain.

Oh well, maybe I should ressurect the Paperformers and add the game stats? :)

Edit - Quick correction, looks like there's 2 characters in each pack. 2 'cards' of pieces per figure, a 'stat' card for each, and lastly a summary card.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

:wall: whats next transformers dominoes
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Sadly, I can see it...

"Stand them up for robot mode, knock 'em down to turn them all into car modes!"
starscreamjericho
Protoform

Post by starscreamjericho »

They would have been better off making Transformers heroclix or followed the star wars angle and did a miniature game. That will make a lot more money for them and be a whole lot more fun to play.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Well, Star Wars is ALSO getting a 'card assembly' game, launching literally any time now.

The concept here isn't all that bad, honestly. It's the card execution that's really lacking. The looks of these things are vastly inferior to Pirates, Nascar, or that space-fantasy game (whose name that I forgot) that had come out.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by TFVanguard
"Stand them up for robot mode, knock 'em down to turn them all into car modes!"

Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

To be fair...

No, you're right, Denyer. He's a domino.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

:) Lol i forgot about him should have two sixes on his back
BlueSkids

Post by BlueSkids »

If the game mechanichs are good enough, I'll just replace the cards by my own TF figures, and we'll have an official strategic battle game based on transformers.*

* I'm not counting attacktix as a strategic battle game...
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

I'm seriously considering salvaging some of the Paperfomers and adding the stats accordingly. The game doesn't seem to even NEED the cards at all. (And, oddly, it doesn't really seem to be a minis game, either... I'm not sure WHAT it is now.)
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Well, got the Jetfire preview set today... I'll break down what's included - which unfortunately doesn't include the rules yet. The preview set is the same as what's shown on the http://www.wizards/transformers site for Jetfire.

1) Character card.

The card has two sides, one each for the robot mode and vehicle mode.

The card is broken down (on each side) into a HP bar at the left, with the 'full health' number at top next to the card name.

The rest of the 'banner' part of the card is taken up with the faction and descriptor of the card- as well as a photographed picture of the character and mode at the right.

Beneath that are three boxes which denote 'spark tokens' next to attack names. These can include basic damage, or 'special attacks' similar to how MTG functions. (Hazarding a guess, it seems like you expend your tokens to activate attacks every turn, them sum out the total damage applied.)

At the bottom of the card is a small note on 'crit 20' which gives an extended bonus to attacks if a critical hit is scored. (Sadly, I can't tell you how that's managed.)

The 'point value' of the card is at the lower right (likely used for 'tournament' editions). Jetfire, for instance, is 38pts.

2) Model Cards.

Jetfire comes on two 'plastic cards'. If you're expecting the love and detail found in the Pirates (or even Nascar) games of this type... well.. it's not there. The cards are 'okay' looking, but the model of Jetfire himself is pretty weak.

The card doesn't 'transform' so much as require complete reassembly - which is a BAD idea for this type of game and material. As anyone famliar with Pirates knows, the little tabs often BREAK with use. If you're going to play with the models, you may want to have two and keep one copy each in one mode permanently and switch out as needed.

Thoughts
Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to see a wave three of this game (wave two is underway already). This is definately a movie-tie-in-only game, and the design shown so far betrays a lack of elegance in the mechanics.

The 'figure' part of the game seems extraneous, and the figures being problematic in use. ('on the fly' transformations, which involve complete reassembly during the course of the game...)

Of course, final thoughts will have to come with the main rules set, but I'm left with the impression that this is a bit of uninspired merchanising only.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

From WOTC tonight... aspects of the game are being reworked even now. So what's on the site may not be what we actually get at all.
BlueSkids

Post by BlueSkids »

For the photos of the characters stats cards, I would say that each transformer's card contains his own motto... typical, but cool.

Mmph, as soon as they are availible, I need to take a look on the game rules...