[CUSTOM] Titans Return Freeway (Done!)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Warcry

[CUSTOM] Titans Return Freeway (Done!)

Post by Warcry »

Normally I wouldn't post anything until the project was done, but with how busy I seem to be these days, I'm hoping that posting about it in public will ensure I actually finish!

The last Transformer I'd taken apart for a custom was Generations Scoop, so I just have to say that...wow, are they built a lot more lightly these days! Taking apart TR Roadburn only required me to take out two screws and one pin. Unfortunately there were also a couple one-way pins in the feet that I'd have liked to take out but couldn't without risking damage. But almost everything was ball-jointed or otherwise only held together with friction. It's a big departure from the screw and pin heavy figures of old. They're probably less sturdy now, but damn if it doesn't make doing this a lot quicker.

As far as progress on the custom itself goes...well, I'll let Freeway's Throttlebot buddy Chase get you up to date.

Now I just need to actually find the right blue before I can go any farther. Thankfully a huge hobby store has opened up right on my normal route home from work since the last time I did any customizing.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I hope the rest of this custom carries on like this :D
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

You know it!

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Best custom article ever.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

First Aid, are you spray-painting with that weird silver... doohickey thing? What is that thing First Aid's holding?
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Blackjack wrote:First Aid, are you spray-painting with that weird silver... doohickey thing? What is that thing First Aid's holding?
It's a paintgun.

I think?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Yeah, its an airbrush. Way easier than hand-painting, at least for a shaky-handed guy like me.

Alas, my nephew was generous enough to share his strep infection with all of us, so the project's been on pause for the last few days. Hopefully I can work on it a bit tonight.

Anyone want to take odds on whether or not I accidentally turn First Aid blue while I'm doing this?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I've finished the the main blue coat! That's most of the work (or at least most of the time) done. Still have to finish the detail work, touchups and clearcoating before I can put him back together.

(I was bored waiting for the paint to cure.)
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Almost done!

Warcry

Post by Warcry »

And finally...

...done!

I think he turned out quite well. And customizing a figure that I hate transforming means that I don't have to worry about scratching the paint up so badly! these pics may well be the last time I ever transform either of them.

The blue isn't quite what was advertised on the bottle, but Freeway has been so many different shades of blue that it really doesn't matter as long as it's a nice blue (and it is).
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Looks good! I love your Searchlight too - he was my favourite Throttlebot :)
Clay

Post by Clay »

You obviously had too much fun doing this.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote:Looks good! I love your Searchlight too - he was my favourite Throttlebot :)
Searchlight is my favourite Throttlebot too. Even though I thought he was Chase until about 2003 thanks to the G.I. Joe/G2 crossover using the wrong model.

Also, speaking as objectively as I can given that I made him, I think he's probably the best all-around custom I've done. Also, the Classics Bumblebee mold was a joy to work with.
Clay wrote:You obviously had too much fun doing this.
You know it!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

"Is that an accessory? For sure not a Throttlebot!"

God damn this is hilarious!

:lol: