Getting MP-36 in Australia

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Whiteshark01

Getting MP-36 in Australia

Post by Whiteshark01 »

Hey everyone, I've created this account for this express purpose and was hoping you'd guys would be able to help.

I've recently started getting my hands on some MP figures from BBTS (Soundwave with all cassetticons and Bumblebee, with Hot Rodimus and Grimlock on the way)

But in April/May/June when MP-10 gets another rerun from what i've read. I was hoping to get an MP-36 to go along with it. But being in Australia the laws are a bit strict on importing "replica weapons" in QLD (my home state) the blaze cap in the barrel and silencer should be enough but I wanted to know if anyone's bought MP-36 off BBTS and had any issues in Aus
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Howdy.

Not sure if anyone around at the moment is in or around Queensland, but this came up with the original MP Megs and AFAIK BBTS are good about making sure caps are used as the US is also touchy -- they're also likely to have shipped a few to Aus by now, so worth asking them directly if any problems so far.

If you're after a larger scale Megs such the Wei Jiang one to go with the original MP-01 Convoy, you might find a store willing to cap one (and they're packaged in robot mode) but definitely don't come like that as standard.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Welcome.

I too remember vaguely that the first MP megatron was something like contraband in Australia, but I don't remember anyone not being to acquire it if they really wanted.

I don't have the new megatron, but I do still have the first version from 2007 that came from bbts. The glue they used then wasn't all that strong, and the cap twisted out easily with a pair of pliers. You could also try robot kingdom, who sell it without the plug, although I would email them first about shipping to Australia. I ordered exhaust from them without any problems, and he had a much bigger problem with distribution within the US than megatron did (although he may have posed no acquisition problems for Australians, can't remember).
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Not an Aussie, but I do remember people saying that by the strict letter of the law, MP Megatron is considered a replica firearm and you need a firearms license to own one in some states, orange cap or no.

One Australian site has this to say:
Before purchasing this item it is the customer’s responsibility to contact their relevant authorities to ensure that the possession of this item is legal in their state.

Premium Collectables will not accept any claim or responsibility in the event of consequential action by any law enforcement agency against organizations or individuals that have purchased this product without prior investigation as to its legality in the relevant state.

As State laws change regularly, it is impossible for us to give exact information regarding the legal status of items in every State of Australia. As such, we strongly suggest that you contact your local State Police Department and ask them for specific information regarding the ownership of the item you purchase.
And BBTS says:
Please Note: The Australian Government & Australian Customs may seize this item, please order with caution if you live in Australia.
That quote is referring to the version with the orange cap added, too, so I'm not sure that's a solution to the problem.

I would guess that if you import Megatron and customs open up your package to inspect the contents, they'll probably seize it. I have no idea what percentage of packages get opened, though.

Maybe try to buy him locally or in person first? You'd probably end up paying a little more, but you won't need to worry about the government stealing your toy either.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I seem to remember there was a video on YT about some dude in Australia who had bought the first MP Megatron and had to apply for a firearms license, then keep the figure in a locked room secured away. He had CCTV and everything to protect the figure.

..I'm not sure a toy is worth all that hassle, tbh.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I've heard of several members of the Transformers Collectors Club Australia Facebook page being able to import the current MP Megatron, many of whom do live in Queensland, so you're results may vary.

But don't order from Premium Collectibles, from what I've read from people ordering from them, they haven't received their items or any correspondence from them in a long time (about a year).
Destruction is my specialty