That Gum You Like Is Coming Back Into Style.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

That Gum You Like Is Coming Back Into Style.

Post by inflatable dalek »

So Twin Peaks is coming back as a nine episode limited series following up on the original (ie: Not a reboot/remake/reimagening) a quarter of a century later, with all episodes written by Frost and Lynch and the lot directed by Davey Boy.

https://deadline.com/2014/10/twin-peaks ... st-845804/

This sort of thing rarely ends well, but equally I can't see Lynch doing the obvious, and the whole thing is likely to be interesting if nothing else.

My watch of the blu ray of the original has stalled a bit due to my sleeping being all over the place in the last few weeks, I've gotten as far as David Warner turning up. All these years of people telling me to watch Twin Peaks, and not one has ever said, "Hey, you know how much you love David "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze" Warner? Well he's in it". What is wrong with you people?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Might wait until it's been on and reviewed a bit before deciding whether to watch, personally.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Don't expect any sort of closure or even particular relation to the series. FWWM was hyped as tying up a lot of loose ends but actually just involved Lynch doing whatever the hell he liked in a pretty determined attempt to piss the fanbase off. His form's also tailed off quite startlingly what with Inland Empire and all.
Clay

Post by Clay »

A friend gave me the season DVD sets a few years ago while stating that it would be my sort of thing. I should probably get around to watching them, eh?
inflatable dalek

Finished the main series now. Spoiler box for Clay ho!

SPOILER! (select to read)
What everyone says is true. Great first season, great second season until you find out who done it, then a meandering clueless second season that doesn't really know what it's doing (it's telling how David Warner is introduced as if he's going to be a major antagonist, but then proceeds to not do very much before that bloke from Halloween 3 arranges his death just a few episodes later) until a brilliant final.

The worst bit was the subplot about James Hurley (who then basically vanished before the end of the series making everything he did in the show fairly pointless anyway) and the married woman. It went nowhere, did nothing and sucked the energy out of the show.

And though I'll always have time for Heather Graham, the introduction of her and Billy Zane felt a bit pointless, especially as for the first season and a half the show seemed to be setting Audrey up for the role Graham's character played in the final (reading around, it seems there were behind the scenes conflicts between MacLachlan, his then girlfriend of the actress who played Donna and the actress who played Audrey. And you can tell as Coop and Audrey barely have any scenes together in the second half of the last year. Though if Donna had problems with her boyfriend's onscreen relationship God knows what she made of him cavorting with Felicity Shagwell. Interestingly neither actress seems to be in the film).

Still, a really great last episode that actually wrapped up a lot more than I was expecting, the only real cliffhanger (as what happens to Cooper works perfectly well as a downbeat ending) is whether or not Audrey died in the explosion. And all the surreal bonkers imagery of the final is just lovely, and pretty much influenced every dream sequence you've ever seen on TV in the last quarter century.

The only real flaw with it was them feeling the need to parade characters who hadn't been in the show for ages just to say two lines. Those who were in the Black Lodge sequence made sense, but I'd forgotten Ben Horne was supposed to be married it had been so long since she'd been in the show. Sherry Palmer and the Polanski girl seemed a bit random as well.
Overall though, great last episode. Onto the film!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Have acquired this to catch up ahead of the new stuff...

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/movies/no ... s-fanedit/
inflatable dalek

Apparently Mark Frost is writing a novel that covers the period between the original run and this, it's a fair bet a lot of the unresolved minor stuff will be dealt with there.

The film...

Blimey, what a pointless movie. Over two hours of telling you things the either the TV show conveyed perfectly well in a couple of lines with an opening half hour mostly focused on characters who have nothing to do with the rest of the film.

The hour and a half of deleted scenes make as much sense when watched in one go as the proper film does and actually features some of the cast of the TV series. Albeit in pointless Best put them in!" ways mostly, but it's not any better or worse than the stuff that was left in.

The stuff right after the end of the last episode, other than being impressive for rebuilding the hotel set exactly for thirty seconds, wouldn't have added very much though.
inflatable dalek

Yeah, I forgot to update this when Lynch pulled out and the future of the thing seemed uncertain.

But now it's back on and he's directing the whole thing.

So nay, now yay.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cool beans.

Still haven't watched that edit...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The second season is ropey; the arc where Cooper loses his badge just to have some sort of excuse to keep him in Twin Peaks is desperate stuff. Another way the show was a victim of being so far ahead of its' time; Pretty Little Liars has just made a "who is this person?" mystery run for five or six years without the execs getting nervous.

FWWM is basically an epic troll; it's Lynch getting given a ****-ton of money to do a Twin Peaks sequel and basically doing whatever the Hell he wanted with it, possibly in a deliberate attempt to loose the mainstream fanbase Blue Velvet, the show and Wild at Heart had lumbered him with. There are some good bits in it - the Bowie cameo, Chet Desmond, the scene shift to Twin Peaks with the theme music playing, the confirmation that Cooper's totally ****ed (soon to be undone on a faintly disappointing big-budget revival on a TV near you!).

The one good thing about the film was its' reaffirmation of the incredibly bleak last episode - the real Cooper is trapped in the Lodge (with black and white the same; everything the Giant said was part of the trap) with an evil doppelganger implicictly trusted by everyone in town on the loose.

And now the revival's likely to undo even that because Cooper saying "Aces". More interested in what exactly Lynch is planning to use the huge sack of cash for, even if Inland Empire was terrible. Ronnie Rocket? Dune 2?
inflatable dalek

Perhaps because it's been a few months, perhaps because I'm thick, but I don't remember any of the foreshadowing of what happened to Cooper beyond Heather Graham's brief cameo.

Mind, my memory of what was in the actual film and what was in (what is effectively) the completely different film that the deleted scenes make up is a bit muddled now.

I'm not sure if it's on a format other than blu ray, but if you get the chance the missing pieces are well worth a watch. The deleted stuff basically makes a sequel... parallel film... or something. And has more Bowie.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

So I just finished the series, and want to give a big thanks to Netflix for taking Fire Walk With Me off without telling me. They know what shows are in my list, so how about a little "Hey, just so you know, you've got a week before we take away that movie you've been putting off."

I know from glancing at the conversation here that FWWM will be disappointing, but now I have to see it.

Knowing that they're working on a follow up, I found it very interesting that in the last episode
SPOILER! (select to read)
Laura says to Cooper "I'll see you in twenty-five years. Until then..."
So was the follow-up semi-planned all along, or was that Lynch putting some crazy stuff in there to mess with people, then going, "Oh, hey, that kinda works now, doesn't it?"
So now I either get to flip through pawn shops in hopes of FWWM showing up, or pay the $3 to rent it through Amazon.

On the plus side, I watched the movie "Frank" instead and rather enjoyed it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Frank's fantastic. How the heck does Fassbender act so well with a papier-mache globe on his head?
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I'm starting to think that Fassbender might be awesome.