Your favorite non-TF moments in Marvel Comics

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Zeeks

Your favorite non-TF moments in Marvel Comics

Post by Zeeks »

Hey! Another "list your favorites" thread.
As many or as little as you want.

1. Regarding Doom: Heroes Return (Doom TPB), FF 247, Doom's escape from hell (Road to Civil War ish of FF), Dr. Doom and Dr. Strange: Triumph and Torment

2. Hulk- both Planet Hulk HC and his part in the House of M

3. The Ultimates 1 and 2

4. Dr. Strange the animated Feature

5. Secret Wars

6. Marvel 1602 and 1602 The Fantastick Four

7. The Avengers: Ultron Unlimited

8. The Avengers Disassembled

9. The New Avengers: Breakout

10. Captain America: Red Menace
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Hound

Post by Hound »

Ultimate Spider-Man, all of it. That you failed to mention the series shows that you suck! You've shamed Doom! How dare you!

Umm, the Proteus story from Uncanny X-Men, that big long Brood arc where Carol Danvers becomes Binary at the end. Inferno, X-Tinction Agenda, Muir Island Saga. That Wolverine story in X-Men 4-7, Origin, Wolverine #75.

Galactic Storm, Iron Man (everything that I've read of any of his series except that crap when they turned him into a traitor and replaced him with a younger version, the rest is good)

Mark Waid's first run on Cap.

Peter David's run on X-Factor (both of them)

Bendis on Daredevil

That old Spider-Man vs. the Juggernaut story.

Byrne's run on FF, if you haven't read it what the hell is wrong with you?!
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Originally posted by Hound
Ultimate Spider-Man, all of it. That you failed to mention the series shows that you suck! You've shamed Doom! How dare you!

Byrne's run on FF, if you haven't read it what the hell is wrong with you?!

OMG!!!11 JoO SuXXoR!

Whiney little smartass brats are not Doom's style. Ultimate or not. Doom crushes spiders.

Of course I read the Byrne Run!! hence ish#247, which to me is the *definitive* Doom story- honor, destruction, love-it's chock full of Doom!

Bend over Hound, and prepare for a Doomtastic Paddling. :p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

X-Men: The Brood stories and Proteus (as Hound notes). I'm still partial to the Magick arc, but it's coming back to bite everyone in the rear right now when Marvel should just let it go.

Power Pack: The Dr Seuss tribute story. Now we know the truth about keeping your costume clean and that Namor dislikes seas made of lemonade!

Eternals: The Space Gods storyline. It laid down the foundations for, among other things, Apocalypse's interactions with The Fourth Host and Arishem.

Secret Wars: The first story. Did Janet really..? With Magneto..?

Avengers: Behold, the Vision. Plus the Wonderman link and the Oedipus syndrome Ultron develops.

Fantastic Four: The introduction of The Negative Zone.

Wolverine: Remember lil' Elsie Dee and Albert? I loved the possibilities the stories raised about Logan's future.

I've been a Marvel fan/collector for far, far too long...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Alias.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The brilliantly uncontrived fight between Captain America and Captain Britain when they first meet.

Police Officer: Now I'll unmask you Captain Britain!

Captain America: I'm sorry, I have orders here saying you can't do that signed by David Hasselhoff and the Prime Minister.

Captain Britain: Wait... I'll prove I'm a hero and not a crook by fighting Captain America to stop him trying to get me out of being arrested! Makes perfect sense.

They don't write them like that anymore.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
The Ultimates Vol. 1 ("This letter on my forehead..." Oh c'mon, it was hilarious).

And without it we never would have gotten Elsa's awesome parody moment in Nextwave.

Actually, that's my other moment. Nextwave. All of it. Even the strange last issue.

"My robot brain needs beer."
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Armor Wars is indeed aweomse - there's some suprisingly good stuff in there, like the bit with the kid soldier after it looks like he's been blown up.

That issue of Captain America Waid did pre-Onslaught that didn't really have Steve in it.

Pretty much all of Alan Moore's Captain Britain, except the weird bit with Arcade.

Ben Raab's weird performance on Union Jack.

All of Pryde & Wisdom.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I love the entire Runaways series. Especially Volume 1 though.

Ultimates 1 & 2

Most of Ultimate Spiderman, especially the Clone Saga.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Doodz, question..........

I can see that Mark Waid has some fans here. What is it specifically about Waid that you like? Why are the arcs he wrote any good, in your opinions?

I'm not going to fluff things here- I have only read one of his arcs on the FF, and IMO, well.........I have lots of opinions on him, most of them not good. But I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt- tell me your favorite arc and why.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Captain America: Winter Soldier (beats the hell out of Batman: Under the Hood).
Under the Hood is worth reading for Black Mask alone. The rest is fairly crap.
Ghost Rider Annual #2 (best Danny Ketch Ghost Rider story ever written. Absolutely brutal and twisted, especially how he solves the problem of the Scarecrow getting stronger whenever people fear him but not being allowed to kill the sunuvabitch. Ouch).

Proving yet again that Warren Ellis should be worshipped like unto a god.

My list (some stuff that's been said before, but hey):

Nightcrawler: X-Men Unlimited #28 (?) - Story where a little girl has been captured by random mole people, and Nightcrawler agrees to duel the king (without teleporting) to save her, only to teleport himself and the girl out a moment later. Best characterization of Kurt I've read in a longish time.

X-men: Fatal Attractions - Scarred me for several years when I first read it, and deserves to be on the list for several reasons. Surprised that Marvel kept Wolverine Adamantiumless for as long as they did, and the ferocity of Xavier's attack blew me away.

The Trial of Gambit - Way back when, Gambit was one of my favorite characters (back before they did everything in their power to **** him up). The lead up to the Trial, and UXM #350 itself, was one of the best things they'd done with him in a while.

Wolverine v. Hellfire Guards - Worth mention simply because this was the first time Wolverine was shown cutting loose, back when that was still a fairly big deal. That last panel where Logan is in the sewer and looks up with murder in his eyes absolutely made me love the character.

X-Factor/Madrox/X-Factor - I was never really a huge fan of X-Factor when it first showed up (barring Archangel and Beast's "Every time I use my abilities, I get dumber" thing), but David turned the whole thing around.

Spider-Man: Return (Revenge? Whichever was illustrated by Humberto Ramos) of the Green Goblin - Flash winds up in a coma, Green Goblin plays with his dolls, Peter loses it, and the two of them have a heart to heart. The "Mr. Coffee" thing was stupid, but the rest is really friggin' good.

Hulk: Peter David's run - David turned one of Marvel's lowest selling books into one of its highest, and did more with the character than anyone has before or since.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

[.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

The only run by Mark Waid I recall ever reading because I thought "Waid RAWKS!" was his run on Flash.

But this is a Marvel thread, so I can't talk about it. :(

No, it's cool. I mean, I want to know what makes people tick re: Waid, so if it was his work with DC that did it for you, then so be it. Most writers have worked for both the bigwigs, and I like DC too. Maybe we can consider this a thread inside a thread. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sociopathic Autobot

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

Ultimate X-Men when Colossus overpowers Magneto's control over his body to punch him in the stomach.

Pretty much any frame Deadpool is in.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Hound

Post by Hound »

Except when Liefeld was associated.

My first exposure to Waid was when he wrote X-Men. It's good stuff but he's done tons of better stuff. His first run on Cap is really good and his second is good too. His best stuff is DC though. You can kind of tell he has more love for DC's characters. There's only that last year or so of his Flash run that was less than good everything else he's done is fantastic.

What I like about him is that he's got like twice the inventive imagination of the guy that would be second on the list. He figured more cool **** to do with the Flash's speed powers than anyone that's every written the character before or since. Like tons more. His run on JLA was awesome. He just finished a great run on Legion of Super-Heroes. It took him almost a decade to slump on Flash. It takes Morrison (who gets way more recognition) like 8 issues to slump on whatever he's writing.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

.to the Infinite Crisis.:\
BWW 2000
Protoform

Post by BWW 2000 »

Seeing as how I have read very few other non-TF Marvel comics (which is surprising, as, back in the day, I had been a big fan of the two early 80s Spider-man cartoons, and the Hulk one), I can only think of a very small number, most of which relate to Action Force/ G.I. Joe.
-the ending of the 'Battle for Cobra Island' story for being just so damn unexpected and downbeat.
-the whole Ripcord/ Candy/ Billy/ Springfield bit
-the UK story where Storm Shadow went after some old guy and just left him in the knowledge that he could return at any time
-the Spider-man/ Iron Man of 2020 encounter, which I saw as a back-up strip in the UK TF comic. Probably my first exposure to the black Spidey outfit...was this the alien one or the cloth version?
-it's sort of rubbish really, but, at the time, I enjoyed the Doctor Who/ Death's Head crossover, seeing as how I liked both characters
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

...Then this came back to haunt me in the early hours :

Thanos: Not at all a bad little series, which put the Titan back on the map and gave us strange insights into his character. For example: Lady Death appears as a young girl and teases Thanos that he likes her like that. Then there's the bit where Thanos, chasing after a rogue ex-herald of Galactus, invades Big G's ship and this leads to - oh, my! It's not so much that Thanos tries to seduce Galactus, it's that Galactus almost succumbs!

Captain Britain: The Jasper's Warp. Weird or what? I thought that The Fury was a great idea. The first CB tales were pointless and lowbrow, but the foundation for the idea of a cross-continuity drawing on the Arthur mythos. Inspector Thomas evolved into a great anti-hero. Agree that the Arcade stories were not up to snuff (ha-ha-ha), but the general madness went forwards so well into the original Excalibur run.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]