Prime: 20th Anniv. vs. Masterpiece

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Vin Ghostal

Prime: 20th Anniv. vs. Masterpiece

Post by Vin Ghostal »

OK, so I'm confused. People seem to be tripping over each other to get their hands on the Japanese version of Masterpiece Prime (the one here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Masterpiece-Optimus ... dZViewItem
However, the prices aren't as high for the 20th Anniversary Prime ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Hasbro-Transformers ... dZViewItem )

Is there a reason? Is there a difference between the two? I'm confused.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Trailer / no trailer.

Some coloration differences, too. The Hasbro re-release (the one you linked to) is a bit brighter and not metallic like the Takara one.

Incidentally, I've got one of the Hasbro figures boxed if you're after one.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Other differences include diecast on the Japanese one with the trailer and full-length smokestacks. I believe the one with the blue gun packaged by Hasbro doesn't have any diecast and the smokestacks are shortened to conform with US toy laws.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Blue-gun-Prime's stacks are shortened, but there is still die-cast on the toy. I don't have any comparison since I've just got that one version, but there's metal there.
Civ

Post by Civ »

The chest is still die-cast? When I saw the pic, it looked as though it was plastic. Is the die-cast you're referring to on the legs?
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Nope, the chest is die-cast. Either that or a very very convincing plas-metal. :)
As for the legs, I'm thinking there's some metal there too, but I don't remember off-hand. I'd check, but he's on a top shelf behind a bunch of other Primes. If nobody's answered the question of his legs by later tonight, maybe I'll break out the stepstool of enlightenment.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Yep defo diecast on the chest and legs and another difference is the "battle damage" scorching dotted around which I actually quite like as it reminds me of Prime after Megs twats him in the movie.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Well, I was certainly fooled. I thought the lack of...umm...I guess the word is "luster" on the chest made it look like plastic to me in the packaging. My bad.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

The mold was released twice in both US and Japan:
-The first issue was 20th Anniversary (US) vs MP-01 (JP); the US version had shortened smokestacks and battle damage paint apps. Both originally had a grey gun, however, the Hasbro version acquired a black gun on later issues.
-The second is "Movie edition" vs MP-4; the movie edition has a blue gun, a "cartoon-accurate" paintjob (the die cast parts apparently have a matte finish, hence the plasticy look) and a base with a voice chip (which is best ignored, the voice sounds nothing like Cullen); The only difference between MP-4 and MP-1 is the addition of the trailer. Also, the stickers on Prime's comm panels have been switched around on both reissues.

Well okay, the mold was released thrice in Japan, but I'm not counting Ultra Magnus here.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Civ wrote:Other differences include diecast on the Japanese one with the trailer and full-length smokestacks. I believe the one with the blue gun packaged by Hasbro doesn't have any diecast and the smokestacks are shortened to conform with US toy laws.
Both of the Hasbro releases use die cast metal.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Clay wrote:Both of the Hasbro releases use die cast metal.
I knew the first one did but I was fooled by the second. My bad.
StryderK
Protoform

Post by StryderK »

Just bought Takara's MP-4 "Complete Convoy" in China for like 1500 RMB, equivalent to around $200!!! Hella cheap! I got another two on pre-order. Will pick them up next time I hit Shanghai! My wife threw a hissy fit until I showed her the Ebay page and how much those figure are going for! My version was super cheap because the little import shop owner is a good friend of mine and he usually sell TF stuff to me at rock bottom "Friendship" prices that you can't find anywhere else! Also, the 1500RMB version I bought has a little defect, the right gas tank on Prime leg has a bit of chrome rubbed off (Seemed someone touched it with their dirty finger before the chrome is set). This knocked the price off somewhat. The other two I paid around $220 for them! Still worth it consider MP-04 on Ebay is going for at least TWICE that amount! I love it! I got both Takara's MP-01 (With JustItToys trailer) and 20th Anniversary version too (this one is in the box, not opened). My friend in Shanghai still has aroun 3 MP-04 left. If you want, I can see if I can get you one. I need to charge abit more that what I paid though. No escaping international shipping prices (expect the thing to be heavy) and I do want to make a just a very small profit on them lol. PM me if you are interested. It's probably worth it since Ebay can run you anywhere from $300-$400!!!!. Current total price (+shipping) is around $260 for one! PM me if you are interested (Also of course, subject to supplies, "Qing Tian Zhu" of more affectionantly called "Qing Da Ge" as he is known in China is VERY popular! The last time my firend got some MP-01 in the house, they were gone in less then three days!).

EDIT: also keep your head up, if my friend is correct, Takara maybe re-releasing MP-01 soon before Mp-07 to get everyone hyped! This will certaintly bring down the price of MP-01!
SWMBO just discovered I preordered MP-20 Wheeljack, MP-21 Bumblebee and MP-22 Ultra Magnus perfect edition for almost $300 = My butt goes on the couch for another week...or two..........or.........three!!!!!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

We have a dedicated trade/sale sub forum here:

http://www.tfarchive.com/community/foru ... y.php?f=70

Where you can promote your stuff (once you meet a minimum 100 post requirement). Doing so outside of there is something of a no no.