Okay, so I've gone and bought Alt. Wheeljack...

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Cliffjumper

Okay, so I've gone and bought Alt. Wheeljack...

Post by Cliffjumper »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0214919859

Is he actually any good? I'm not particularly sure why I bought him. He does look less awful than half the line...
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Looking at eBay and there was nothing you really wanted but really wanted to buy something?
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Is he actually any good?
Uhm... how can I phrase this?

No.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I like him, just remember he seems supposed to fall apart as you Transform him...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:fall apart as you Transform him...
... touch him, look at him, breathe near him, move anything in his remote vicinity...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think I transformed the Grimlock I had about five times in total. With sufficiently long gaps in-between to forget why I hadn't done so recently.
Clay

Post by Clay »

The Mustang has a higher learning curve than the others, to be fair. Car to robot is easy, but the other way around takes some practice the first few times.

At this point, I think the transformation is quite beautiful, like a flower unfolding. But, I'm insane :o

Um, incidentally, if you hate it... let me know. Can always use another `Stang :)

Oh, and your package went out today with a surprise bonus for being late.
Civ

Post by Civ »

In terms of articulation, Alt. Wheeljack is better than quite a bit of the line. To name a few the Dodge Vipers, Dodge SRT-10s, and the Honda S2000 molds off the top of my head. Now, I bought a BT Wheeljack so I can describe transformation problems but as far as quality issues with the Alternator version, can't help you there.

Things to look out for while transforming the Mustang molds:
  • The arms. Definitely the most confusing part about this figure bar none. Really, really pay close attention to how the arms transform because it's very easy to get confused since there's a little trick with how they fold. What the trick is, I'll have to get my Wheeljack (or Grimlock) and try to describe it to you, if you want.
  • The mid-waist. At the waist, Wheeljack is double-jointed/pinned. Meaning you can spin his "belt" around independently of the torso and the legs. Almost. Since there's a lot of friction in that area, it may take a certain amount of strength to twist it around without the torso or legs coming with it. Also, the bottom of the car, where the seats are, acts as a wrap/cape and it can fall off while transforming in case you use too much force. Don't worry though, it pops right back on.
  • The head and hood. Getting the head to clear the hood can be challenging. IIRC, you have to angle the front of the hood forward and down while tilting the head backwards as far as it will go. This should allow you to transform it with minimal effort; however, some fiddling is required. Also, the head and neck are attached to slotted link, which allow the "neck" to extend. I don't remember if that was covered in the directions or not.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

As mentioned the transformation is really difficult and the instructions (or instuctions as your seller calls them) are worse than useless but you're not getting them anyway.
I really struggled at first and as mentioned if you do anything even slightly wrong random pieces just fly off.
What I eventually ended up doing was watching a couple of the reviews on youtube a few times and once you get the knack it gets easier tho' I cant have transformed him more than a half dozen times then left him in bot mode where I think he looks best as I had a both a New Mustang convertible and coupe in my car collection and thought I had the car mode covered.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

The new Mustang is one of my most favorite cars.

That being said, This is one of the most difficult Alternators to transform. The doors fly off durring transformation on both Grimlock and Wheeljack.

Once transformed it is a wonderful robot with an awesome alt mode.
Come on and wind me up.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Anyone know if this is the same with BT 10 Grimlock?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Treadshot A1 wrote:Anyone know if this is the same with BT 10 Grimlock?
http://tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/jbt_grimlock.php
Target
Protoform

Post by Target »

Not sure if this will be of help, it's got the instructions for both Wheeljack and Grimlock. One was in colour the other grey!

http://hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=cs_i ... s&letter=T

Hope it helps.
If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Okay, so it sounds like he sucks the big 1111!!!. I don't really have the patience for the Alternators I do have (even Smokescreen has that awful shoulder thing. Live and learn. Clay, sounds like I'll be dropping you a line soon ;)
inflatable dalek

Oh come on, you know you only brought it so as to reafirm you GO-bot superiority complex. "Leader-1, better than a Alternator".
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

For God's sake, there's no hyphen :p

TBH, if half of what's been said here is true, it probably won't come off favourably - simple but works > complicated & unworkable (not that I'm a big fan of Leader-1 - a pretty bad choice for the Guardian leader, as Cy-Kill, Royal-T, Defendor, Turbo and Crasher would have all made better choices - I'd love to know whether Tonka's decision was made with the Super/BMR version in the works, or if it was produced at their prompting... the date of its' release suggests the latter, which makes it a very bad choice by Tonka). At the end of the day, they're all just toys. Except Voltron, who's my own personal unicorn and thus a way of life at the moment.
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:For God's sake, there's no hyphen :p

If I spell it that way enough the world will follow.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:If I spell it that way enough the world will follow.
Doesn't work for anything else you write...
inflatable dalek

Halfshell wrote:Doesn't work for anything else you write...
Have you checked with the entire world have you?

Does the die cast metal make Bineltech Wheeljack a bit more sturdy? Because apart from the arms never staying on during Transformation I don't seem to have that much trouble with him.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I am part of the entire world. If I'm not doing something, that means that "the entire world is doing it" is bollocks.

Keep up.

I'm also 90% of the board.