Latest Don Murphy Q&A

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Latest Don Murphy Q&A

Post by Nevermore »

http://www.d13satellite.com/donmurphy/s ... eadid=3616

I'm going to bed, could anyone else please filter out the essence?

All I can see so far is that Hasbro apparently are going the BW season 3 route again. :(
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Current plans are for 5 main characters per side.

"Megs...Optimus... of course Soundwave (no longer a blender) Bumblebee (thanks to Herbie not likely a Bug) Jazz.... Starscream.... RC.....more to come...."

"In the meeting on Thursday Hasbro all but DEMANDED that Soundwave mass shift..."

Current plan is for the TF war to be a hidden one rather than public to the world.

Arcee may be there as a motorcyle.
The writers want Ratchet as an ambulance, the animation studio would prefer him as a firetruck.

"Hasbro seemed anxious to get Soundwave into musical form to unleash Ravage even if it made no sense." He could be a copter, or Don may be taking the piss.

Skywarp isn't in the running.

Arcee may be paired with Spike's girlfriend.

"Official website ASAP- literally as soon as we can.... Final ten TFs chosen- 3 weeks. Colors/Models of those ten finalized JULY 1. Prep begin Sept 1. Shoot begin Dec 1. all Tentative"

No Quintessons.

Currently no plan to use background characters.

Desanto + writers want stars for lead roles of Prime + Megs. Don would prefer Cullen + Welker.

PG/PG-13.

There'll be a team of humans.

I gave up around page 14... someone else feel free to trawl for more...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer
RC.....

Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Something like 30 pages in...

Only other thing of note is that Don encouraged people to express their loathing for bad ideas like the Arcee/motorcycle and that none of this stuff is final and can all still change.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

He STILL didn't answer my question about foreign distribution of the movie.

Which, in a way, disturbs me.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

"Bay will likely hire ILM

like 90%"

If that is true then I'm hoping the special effects won't be letting the film down at least.

Quick question, and feel free to remove it if you think I'm going to spiral the whole thread off topic, but does anyone know if many/all producers this open and available to fans (in this kind of adaptation of a cult franchise at least) or is Don something of a one off?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Don himself admitted it was an "experiment" he never did before.
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

Originally posted by Nevermore
He STILL didn't answer my question about foreign distribution of the movie.

Which, in a way, disturbs me.

Why? Because A) it wasn't a question and B) it was a stupid question.

It's going to get an international release, we all know this. It's a Michael Bay movie, produced by Speilberg, with a budget of $120m +.

What part of that ever said "straight to video"?!
Ghirox

Post by Ghirox »

only 5 TF for each side, included Arcee, no suuport cast of TF - no way, my rating for the movie is quickly decreasing - Don, this si a TF movie, that mean the main character are robot, not human, so why have only ten (10) character?
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Hey don't be so quick to judge yet ... Armada had 3 Autobots and 4 Con's. The only reason Armada sucked was becasue of the kids, here we get a team of humans and 5 a side, hell they might not even stick to that its still in the draft stages.

Don't judge it until you've seen the movie, nothings final ...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Angelophile
What non-English-speaking part of Europe are you in?

(And if you aren't in mainland Europe, shut the hell up—people in a country know best the history of film releases for their territory.)
Ghirox

Post by Ghirox »

Originally posted by Tempest
Hey don't be so quick to judge yet ... Armada had 3 Autobots and 4 Con's.
at first, then more character appear, instead of having only 7 character. the total count is more than ten (not counting repaint and combination)

More, how many guys were part of season 1 original cast (that crashland on Earth)? ... Only two human were part of the cast for the most part of the season, while here there will be a cast of human, probably collected in a team ...
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Angelophile
Why? Because A) it wasn't a question and B) it was a stupid question.

First of all, welcome to the Archive.

Second of all, it WAS a question, even though there wasn't a question mark at the end.
Stupid question or not, if it's such a blatant thing to answer, not answering it only gives way to crazy speculations, something which I want to AVOID by having a clear "NO" answer which I can hold in the face of every dumb**** who will still continue the speculation.

Plus, at least to me, it's a more important question than "What color will Arcee be" or "Will Cullen & Welker be in it", which I won't even hear unless a) I attend a special "original English version" showing or b) I buy the inevitable DVD release with the English audio on it.
It's going to get an international release, we all know this. It's a Michael Bay movie, produced by Speilberg, with a budget of $120m +.

I can't speak for other countried, but the original Transformers movie was first shown in Germany in 19 ****ing 94. On TV. After the cartoon debuted over in 1989.
We got 20 episodes of Armada. Two comics. No RiD show, no Energon. No Cybertron TOYS. German stores are hesitant to order ANYTHING that says "TRANSFORMERS" because that reads "SHELFWARMER" to them.

Plus, I've been told the international distribution of the movie is going to be handled by Paramount, who might have some bizarre concepts for countries they know don't have a glorious history of sucecssful Transformers releases after 1992.

Same might probably hold true for France, from what I heard.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Denyer
What non-English-speaking part of Europe are you in?

(And if you aren't in mainland Europe, shut the hell up—people in a country know best the history of film releases for their territory.)
I'm from Northern Europe, small country, and I have trouble understanding Nevermore's question. Possibility that a movie of this high profile/budget/etc. would go straight to video is really small IMO. Why do you fear it wouldn't be released in mainland Europe, Nevermore?

Only way I can see it not being released in theaters in Europe, is that completely fails in US. Heck, they released even Catwoman and Elektra here.

Edit: Hadn't seen Nevermore's latest post.

Cybertron toys not going to be released in Germany?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Osku
I'm from Northern Europe, small country, and I have trouble understanding Nevermore's question. Possibility that a movie of this high profile/budget/etc. would go straight to video is really small IMO. Why do you fear it wouldn't be released in mainland Europe, Nevermore?

Only way I can see it not being released in theaters in Europe, is that completely fails in US. Heck, they released even Catwoman and Elektra here.

We got Elektra for two weeks.
Edit: Hadn't seen Nevermore's latest post.

Cybertron toys not going to be released in Germany?

Official word from Hasbro Germany: NO Transformers toys in Germany in 2005.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Official word from Hasbro Germany: NO Transformers toys in Germany in 2005.

Link to German message board's thread?

Ich kann Deutsch lesen. :)
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

No message board post.

Various mail inquiries from me and T-Bozz.

We had things like a magazine article hinting a German airing of the Energon cartoon, Alternators Swindle showing up on Hasbro Germany's main page, someone finding a lonely Energon Duststorm in a German store etc.

Everytime were asked Hasbro Germany about it, their response was the same. "We have no plans for Transformers this year/we didn't ship any Transformers toys this year" etc.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

edit: Nevermind, already covered.

http://www.thetransformers.de/ is probably a good place to start... it seems that even the pic of Alt. Swindle on their Hasbro products page is a cross-promotion with the Netherlands.

France isn't getting stuff TF-wise, either. Hasbro UK are doing a piss-poor job with finding outlets for Alternators and not pushing them at all—they've devolved to taking guidance from Hasbro US over the last few years.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I like that someone's pulling for Ratchet being an ambulance. Not for being a fanboy, but because an ambulance evokes a medic better than a firetruck.

Not so sure I like the idea of them going for stars for the voicework instead of voice actors. I have no interest in Cullen/Welker doing the voices, but it would better than getting stuck with Ben Affleck and Kelsey Grammer or something.
Cyberman

Post by Cyberman »

Originally posted by Osku
I'm from Northern Europe, small country......

Small country? Do they dub or sub the movies? Subbing is cheaper than dubbing, Germany means dubbing - i.e. new voice actors and that.
Might be too expensive to do.
In a perfect world, this would be a signature. As it stands, it's just the lack of.