What Manga?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

What Manga?

Post by CloudStrifer »

Every month I go out to the local book store or Amazon.ca and pick up some manga. Currently, I am reading Berserk and just finished xxxHolic number 7 and have pre-ordered 8 from Amazon. To find new ones to read, I picked up Genshiken 1 and 2, Mohoromatic 1 and Claymore 1 to read. Is there anything else I should pick up that is good or similar to the ones I have listed? I am not that interested with Love Hine for some reason and the same goes for Yu-gi-oh. Art also is sometimes a factor, but if the story is good, I can forgive the art.

Also is there any h manga that is good too?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

A friend of mine loves the Battle Royale stuff -- and there's quite a few volumes -- personally I gave it a skim and found it rather repetitive, visually and storywise.

Hentai tends to be most amusing when torrented from places that have unofficial hentai-isations of well-known books and series... generally about as erotic as wallpaper, but the writers sometimes have a sense of humour and write the characters, rather than thin pastiches who get down to it as soon as possible.

Vaguely in the same ballpark:

http://www.pixelscapes.com/amh/amh.html

Really very entertaining.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Thats neither manga or Hentai...Though it is cute.

On second thought, I actually bought Love Hina 1 and 2 and so far its looks good. My previous assesment was because of a friend's suggestion, so I take my bad Love Hina comment away.

I will look into Battle Royale, it sounds good.

On the subject of Hentai, yeah I know about the famous characters and thier on goings, but I was more looking into new and orginal series rather than just open the book and seeing them get down. More story is what I want though with the subject I doubt I would get it. So Orginal characters are what I am looking for.

Are any other suggestions into what I should look into? Also volumes doesn't matter to me as long as the story is good be it a 100 or just 3.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Old, but still recommended. Hayao Miyazaki's "nausiaä of the Valley of the Wind".
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/manga/nausicaa.html

IIRC the current edition available is divided to seven albums.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Ah yes, I heard about that and it sounds interesting. I will look into it.

I also read Love Hina 1 and found it extremely funny, looks like I will have this in my collection too.

These magazines, Shoen Jump and Shoen Jump Advance, is this a good magzine to have? I got a subscription card in Claymore so I was wondering how it is. Apprently Claymore came from SJ and SJA so are there more stories like that?
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

i reckon ebichu is manga. but i also see inspector gadget as manga too...

from what i know, pretty much every mainstream manga gets printed in jump... one piece and naruto are in there for example. can't find it in france but i guess that's because fantrads are up on the net quicker than you can say "kage bunshin no jutsu".

as far as current editions go, my personal faves one piece, naruto, black cat, and hunterxhunter... they're all about über-cool children kicking the crap out of people... so depends if you like that kind of stuff. i recommend fruits basket too, in the love hina vein.

still looking for full scan trads for the kiss players though....
Lucifer
Protoform

Post by Lucifer »

Originally posted by slartibartfast
EBICHUUUU !!

Wow. That is a near dead-on depiction of an average modern Japanese relationship. Good stuff ^^
"'If you die,' you said, 'so do I,' you said, but it ends the day you understand, there is no forever, just this."
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Well an update no less.

Finnished the .hack\\Legends of Twilight series. 3 books in all. My opinion? It was a good Manga, but I think it was to rushed at the end but still it was good.

Up to the lastest with My Hime, Queens and xxxHolic. All three are quite excellent and I would recommend them to anybody.

My collection is missing Genshiken 7 and after I get that its just a wait for 8 otherwise my collection is up to date.

Love Hina is progressing nicely, got 5 and 6 and the story so far is quite good.

Got lots of new manga as well, Nodame Cantablie (1 - 4), Petshop of Horror (1), Battle Club (1), Claymore (3-4), Pita-Ten (1), Law of Ueki (1-2), Those who hunt elves (1), MAR(1), Lament of The Lambs (1), Blade of Heaven (1), Suikoden III (1), Pastel (1), Mystical Princess Yoshida Kun (1), Slayers (1), Eureka seven (1), Steel Angel Kurumi (1), Crest of Stars (1), Cresent Moon (1), Mahoromatic (2-3), Get backers (1-2) and Imadoki (1).

Most of these I have read and plan to complete all the series. The backets next to the name mean volume just so you know. Any other suggestions?
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

New Manga and new series for me!

Get Backers (3 & 4), Imadoki (2 & 3), Suikoden III (2 & 3), A.I Love You ( 1 & 2), Boys Be (1), To Heart (1), Maniac Road (1), Couple (1), Steel Angel Kurumi (2), Mahoromatic ( 4, 5 & 6), Chronicals of the Cursed Sword (3 & 4), A Perfect Day for Love Letters (1), Genshiken (5 & 6), Louie The Rune Soldier (1), Love Hina (5 & 6), Now (1), Queen (1) and Shaman King (1).

I am starting to like the Manhwa (South Korea) and Manga (Japan). I haven't read anything from China yet so I can't comment of them.
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Death Note is awesome. I'd suggest it definately.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Yeah, I will check that out. People have recommended it to me though so I might as well. Thanks.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Wow, long time no updates for me.

Anyway, I finished off Imadoki and Mahoromatic. Got to the current end of Genshiken and started Battle Vixens and a couple of others. From the last month till now I have gotten:

Battle Club (2), Battle Vixens ( 1 & 2), Orphen (1), Yakitate Japan (1 & 2), Popo can Super Trouble Heroine (1), D Gray Man (1), Suzuka (1), Saiyuki (1), Berzerk (7 - 9), Law of Ueki (3), xxxHolic (8), Fruit Basket (1 & 2), Love Roma (1), Buso Renkin (1 & 2), Welcome to NHK (1), Chronicals of the Cursed Sword (5 & 6), Claymore (5), Love Hina (7 & 8) Nodame Cantabile (5 & 6), Genshiken (7), Imadoki (4 & 5), Mahoromatic (7 & 8)
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

More Manga for me!

Love Roma (2 & 3), ToHeart (2 & 3), Maniac Road (2 & 3), Couple (2 & 3)

This finished the ToHeart, Maniac Road and Couple Series. 2 more for the Love Roma to be finished.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

This weeks Manga run netted me:

Balde of Heaven (2 & 3), Suikoden III (4 & 5), Get Backers (5 & 6), Yubisaki Milk Tea (1 & 2), Battle Vixens (3 & 4), Battle Club (3) and Fruit Baskets (3 & 4).

Not a bad haul at all.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Well I had two manga runs this month and I got:

Claymore 6, Get Backers 7 & 8, Chronicals of the Cursed Sword 7, 8 & 9, Love Hina 9 & 10, Fruit Basket 5 & 6, Battle Vixens 5 & 6, Nodame Cantablie 7, Steel Angel Kurumi 3, 4, 5 & 6, Boys Be 2 & 3, Love Roma 4, R.O.D 1, 2, 3 & 4, Suikoden II 6 & 7, Welcome to NHK 2, Girls Bravo 1 & 2 and Yunisaki Milk Tea 3.

Quite a lot of Manga actually, I really have a huge backlog to get through.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Well another series is finished. Steel Angel Kurumi 7, 8 & 9 are bought. Well there was supposed to be 11, but ADV has eaten the two and doesn't seem to want to release them. But anyway, its complete.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Another series finished off with the buying of Seikei Trilogy: Banner of the Stars and Banner of the Stars II. I also got Get Backers 9 & 10 and Fruits Basket 7 & 8.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Manga Run this week: Love Roma 5, Pita ten 2 & 3, Queens 2 and My HiME 2. This finishes off the Love Roma series and I encourage you all to read it. Its quite good.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

Last weeks manga run netted me: Fruit Basket 9, 10, 11 & 12, Blade of Heaven 6, 7, 8 & 9 and Battle Vixens 7, 8 & 9.