They have announced the new writer for Astonishing X-Men

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

They have announced the new writer for Astonishing X-Men

Post by Halfshell »

It's Warren ****ing Ellis.

http://www.newsarama.com/Comic-Con_07/M ... Ellis.html

And to think I lived in fear since #1 that Chris Claremont would jump on it first chance he gets.

Wooha.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Does that mean the final however many Joss issues are in the can and may even actually be published before Dommsday then?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Well supposedly the last arc was absolutely definitely no problem at all going to actually come out monthly.

Quite what planet's moon's month I'm unsure of, though.

AFAIK, Joss finished writing it before moving to Runaways... which means it's Cassady's fault.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I've always admired the X-men from afar, alas, money has stopped me from seriously getting into the comics -- now would be a good time to really jump on board.

So there's going to be a new line-up -- though the current, core team seems to include the likes of Shadow Cat, Beast and Emma Frost, it is missing a fair few of my favourite characters. Not that they can please everyone in that respect or anything.

I was going to enquire about Chamber, an old favourite of mine, but I've just after seeing a pic of him, and he's all grey and ****. Uggg . . .

Man I loved Generation X (Well, eventually, the wheels did come off it). Is that a good or bad thing? :o

Edit: Got a new keyboard! Fixed my comp! Symbols and whatnot removed! Huzzah!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Brendocon

Quite what planet's moon's month I'm unsure of, though.
Most likely one that doesn't have a Moon by the looks of it.
AFAIK, Joss finished writing it before moving to Runaways... which means it's Cassady's fault.

Fine, we'll blame Cassady for the comic being late and Wheedon for it not being very good. Fairs fair.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Astonishing's brilliant. It's just really... really... seriously... decompressed. The pacing's wrong for a monthly book, let alone a bi-monthly one.

Other than that, it's brilliant.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Kudos for choosing the writer, less so for the artist, but Bianchi's not that bad.
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Does that mean the final however many Joss issues are in the can and may even actually be published before Dommsday then?
According to X-editor, Ellis' run is supposed to deal with the aftermath of Messiah CompleX cross-over which will finish in January. So rest of Whedon's issues should be out till then. But seeing as #22 is planned for October, it may not happen.

As a side note, new regular (Whedon and Ryan were always supposed to do only six issues) creators or Runaways were also announced: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=122838
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Hound

Post by Hound »

That just figures. I was planning to stop buying the comic when Whedon left it. Well can't do that now!
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

As I just posted at Whedonesque a little while ago, I was really hoping that Marvel would just end this title when Joss and Cassiday were done. No subsequent team is going to match what this series has been, so it's doubtful I'd pick up the new team's issues, anyway. But Ellis has me very close to dropping Thunderbolts from my pull list (he's done just enough of interest, or gotten a couple of characters close enough to right, to keep me on... but it's hanging by a very thin thread, and getting thinner), so his showing up on Astonishing just makes it, if anything, even more definite of a "drop" for me, personally. (I am still curious enough about Nextwave to give it a chance, though, if I can find the first issue/TPB.)

And yeah, I think you're right that it must be Cassady causing the delays in Astonishing, considering that Joss has had no problem in getting out every issue of Buffy season 8 on-time - hell, issue 5 just came out a week early...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by LKW
As I just posted at Whedonesque a little while ago, I was really hoping that Marvel would just end this title when Joss and Cassiday were done. No subsequent team is going to match what this series has been, so it's doubtful I'd pick up the new team's issues, anyway.

Hence Ellis making it perfectly clear it's going to be a clean slate / fresh start / completely seperate. So as not to piss all over what Joss has done.

Seriously, though, if I'd been asked who my ideal replacement for Joss would be, there'd have been precisely two names on the list. My realistic choice of BKV, and my no-chance-in-hell choice of The Ellis. I'm an ecstatic little bunny.

I'm not bothered that it's got the Astonishing title on it. It's Ellis doing X-Men. The fact it's AXM just serves to prevent somebody like Claremont from raping the legacy of the title. And that's the important thing.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Hence Ellis making it perfectly clear it's going to be a clean slate / fresh start / completely seperate. So as not to piss all over what Joss has done.

Well, that is decent of him :up:. And to be fair, while Thunderbolts has left me non-thrilled at the idea of Ellis taking over one of the titles on my reading list, Peter David might be the only writer who could compell me to keep reading a reconfigured Astonishing. To me, it's just too much of a Joss, and Cassady, thing.
cflames89
Protoform

Post by cflames89 »

I have never read anything by Warren Ellis, is this a good move?
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Well, me and everyone I know, except Nicieza's Thunderbolts' fans, are very happy with it.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
cflames89
Protoform

Post by cflames89 »

Yeah, I have heard lots of good things.

I really hope that it is as good as now, as AXM is the book that brought me back into comics.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

That's some seriously good news. At least Marvel takes one of their x-titles seriously.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Aardvark
I was going to enquire about Chamber, an old favourite of mine, but I’ve just after seeing a pic of him, and he’s all grey and ****. Uggg . . .
Yeah, that whole thing didn't really do a whole lot for me. But, it beats Jono laying in a hospital bed for the rest of whatever.
Man I loved Generation X (Well, eventually, the wheels did come off it). Is that a good or bad thing? :o

It's not necessarily a bad thing. Generation X was pretty good for quite a while, until Marvel decided to do their absolute best to screw over what was left of the team.

On topic, word technology has not yet advanced to the point that I can accurately describe how happy this news makes me.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Woohoo! Warren Ellis writing Astonishing X-Men.

I will join Dead Man Wade in saying that this news is so great I can't find words to state how pleased I am. Whedon's run was (is?) great, but I can't wait to see what Ellis does with the group...
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Cassrae
Protoform

Post by Cassrae »

Ellis and XMen all together? I think I just wet myself...

The two best factions (imo) in graphic/comic all in the same place. HOOAH!
Love is blind; Friendship closes its eyes
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

The fact it's AXM just serves to prevent somebody like Claremont from raping the legacy of the title.[/B]

As someone new to comics other than TFs can someone explain what the problem with Claremont is? Cliffy obviously loathes him as do you so what did he do?
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Neuronutter
As someone new to comics other than TFs can someone explain what the problem with Claremont is?
He's not as good as he used to be. Or back then he was basically the only guy who wrote for X-titles - now you have several other writers who are clearly capable of doing better job and by comparision Claremont's work looks poor. Or both.