[Original RPG] What do you think about a Movie-based RPG?

Got a story idea, or something you'd like to chat about?

You wanna Movie RPG wit' dat?

Awesome!
69%
Stupid!
8%
Nader!
23%

Total votes: 13

Reflector

What do you think about a Movie-based RPG?

Post by Reflector »

You may have noticed something I did - the movie freakin' rocks.

Or maybe you didn't.

Anyway and seriously now, what do you guys think about the notion of a side game based on the Movieverse a la the Beast Wars side game we did a while back? Would you be interested in playing it? The staff's been mulling over the notion, but we don't want to bother if you all think it's a dumb idea. So speak up.

As in real life, all votes for Nader will not be counted. ;)
Aero Blade

Post by Aero Blade »

Yay Nader :D

I enjoy the movie, but not sure how well it'd do for a large scale rpg (which is what this place is to me ;) ) so I can't vote either way. I'll gladly hang back and watch the fun, and if you guys get it going good you might get another player. For now, though, best get in the rest of those votes
Halfshell

Re: What do you think about a Movie-based RPG?

Post by Halfshell »

Well it's obvious that any Movie-based RPG would involve lots of sitting about doing nothing for weeks for the Decepticon characters, which suits my style of play no end...
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

I think it would be a good multi-person fan fic, but not an RPG, per se..
I think.

not enough characters.

could really give a backdrop for persona's and stray from established habits.
and for Ziggy, Ratchet could be yellow. ish.
kinda green...

but with the collective mod talent, it could be superb.
Aero Blade

Post by Aero Blade »

Characters to play in this rp would not be limited to those seen in the movie. We've been working on figuring out which bots from the various games/toys/etc. would also be well suited for this kind of game, so there will be no shortage of playable characters.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I think the count we came up with was 45 playable Transformers gathered from the Movie itself, the video games, the toyline and a few other Movie-related things. That's more than enough to start out, and if you haven't been paying very close attention to the secondary Movie universe stuff, you might be surprised to see who's on the list. I know I was. :)

I'm kinda excited by the prospect. The Movieverse is a fresh canvas, without the huge bulk of established continuity that the G1 game (or a game set in any other TF universe, really) has to deal with. It'll be fun, I promise. :)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Warcry
if you haven't been paying very close attention to the secondary Movie universe stuff, you might be surprised to see who's on the list. I know I was. :)

Flywheels?
miked23
Protoform

Post by miked23 »

I think its a good idea. But i still think it would be too short and it would not have enough Characters. Would this all be happening during the movie or would it be right after the movie.
Reflector

Let's address some of the concerns raised...

Post by Reflector »

- The Decepticons will be plenty busy with schemes and conquest and petty theft and all that. Yes, I know you were kidding, but somebody probably wasn't...

- As was said, there are plenty enough characters that this should be about as involved on a per-player basis as the BW game was. We want to make this a really character-driven story since there is such a small cast, but there are plenty to go around. And don't worry, we'll arrange character rules so that nobody's hoarding Movie-appearance characters.

- The story will be taking place in the aftermath of the film, so there won't be any time limit on it. Don't worry, we'll work out a way to revive the guys who died on screen.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Flywheels?
You and I both know that there's no way a new Flywheels would have escaped your attention for this long.

Although, if there was a Movie Flywheels, he'd end up being twice the size of Megatron. :D
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

Sure.
might as well.
but I already voted Nader.
like everyone else, I now want awesome... I mean, he invented the internet, when compared with Stupid.. too political. sorry
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

People died in the film noooo.

will know one way or another once it comes out in the UK if it's worth making a RPG.

until then i'll stick to it sounds like it could be a good idea.

Will it still be the Allspark or can we go back to the Matrix(tm) on the grounds that we are less likely to confuse the source of transformers life with a trilogy of films about alternative digital realities run by Colonel Sanders.
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Originally posted by optimusskids
until then i'll stick to it sounds like it could be a good idea.
When is that, by the way? We have a pretty good percentage of UK players here, and I'd like to give y'all an honest chance to weigh in.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Reflector
When is that, by the way? We have a pretty good percentage of UK players here, and I'd like to give y'all an honest chance to weigh in.

Opened in the UK officially last night. Though there's been previews scattered around the country on a regular basis since the premiere in June.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

If we're going to do a movie based RPG then we are gonna more characters and a continuing storyline.So far,there's about 20 characters including other robots not in the movie and humans.We could play where the ending left off With Prime sending the message and Starscream leaving Earth.Just a thought. :)
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Read the thread:
Originally posted by Warcry
I think the count we came up with was 45 playable Transformers gathered from the Movie itself, the video games, the toyline and a few other Movie-related things.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Sounds cool, providing there is a reasonable set of controls in place that assume the play is in the 'real' world here e.g. no other alien races, kinda using the rules of physics. I would happily run with the Allspark instead of the Matrix, and I assume it would be in pieces, neh? (There - you might even have a set piece to use!)

And will there be... squishies? By that I mean: will there be a chance to play a human role, or would these be NPCs and belong to the mods where appropriate?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Aero Blade

Post by Aero Blade »

We've been putting the role of humans under consideration still as far as how we are going to integrate them. They certainly play a more crutial role in the movie than they did in the other series, and it's going to take a bit of thinking to decide how the use of humans would be best applied. We'll give you guys some more details as we get that figured out. If you have any suggestions, though, here's the place to put them.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Since some of our Brits haven't had the chance to see the movie yet, lets try not to make this thread too spoilerific, OK? :)
Originally posted by optimusskids
Will it still be the Allspark or can we go back to the Matrix(tm) on the grounds that we are less likely to confuse the source of transformers life with a trilogy of films about alternative digital realities run by Colonel Sanders.
Well...no. Calling it the Matrix would just make it more confusing, since it really isn't the Matrix. It's different enough to warrant a different name.

But now I'm gonna have to toss a human named Colonel Sanders into the game. :D
Originally posted by Clogs
And will there be... squishies? By that I mean: will there be a chance to play a human role, or would these be NPCs and belong to the mods where appropriate?
It depends on how much interest there is from you guys. If anyone wants to put in enough time to properly develop a human character, we'd be happy to have that, but one-dimensional stereotypes and cyphers (like the humans from the G1 cartoon)...not so much. :)
barricade818
Protoform

Post by barricade818 »

Maybe we can revamp current G1 characters to be more "movie" like. Also, for humor, we could develop the xbox 360 and mountain dew machines into characters.

( If anybody wants to make make these characters, please contact me, I have a bunch of good ideas).