*Possible Spoilers* Batman 617

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
RBison
Protoform

*Possible Spoilers* Batman 617

Post by RBison »

I just got it and I just wanted to give my unsalted opinion about it.

Honestly, I am one of those guys that started seriously following Batman as soon as Lee and Loeb took over, altough I bought a few Batman comics on occasion when it sparked my interest. So a long time ago when Jason Todd got his butt kicked and took a dirt nap, I would't say I was moved, but I stil loved the story.

Now he is back and I was like %*&(^()) Keep keep him dead! He was voted to get offed!

What are Loeb and Lee going to screw up next?! :eyebrow:
Hellion
Protoform

Post by Hellion »

That's not surprising considering what Loeb did to Superman ( Krypto anyone? )
Hound

Post by Hound »

I like it, first imaginitive thing they've done with their entire run. It also explains why the Joker was set up to get his ass kicked and potentially killed by Batman. Not a bad issue at all...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

How the hell is he back? What wonderful explaination was used this time?
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Ozz
How the hell is he back? What wonderful explaination was used this time?

He shows up in a cliffhanger ending, no explanation yet. My guess is the next issue is gonna be the disappointment. I know it's coming and I'll probably still be pissed when I read it...
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Hound
I like it, first imaginitive thing they've done with their entire run. It also explains why the Joker was set up to get his ass kicked and potentially killed by Batman. Not a bad issue at all...

No, it's a huge-ass comic book cliché. Long-dead character turns out to have never been dead...bullsh*t. The Joker killed Jason Todd, he's dead, he shouldn't have come back.

Batman and Catwoman actually being involved is more imaginative and at least not typical comic book bullsh*t.

Although, keeping up with Detective Comics, the identity of "Jason Todd" may at least be who I think it is...
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

One more question:

I haven't read the issue when Jason Todd dies, but in one issue of Batman or Detective Comics from late 80s I remember some flashback where Joker shoots Robin. However, I also heard that Jason was beaten to death with a crowbar. Can anyone clear this for me?

Oh, and I hope you suspicions are true, Auros, and it's not really Jason. Him living could only be 'topped' by resurrecting Colossus in X-Men.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
No, it's a huge-ass comic book cliché. Long-dead character turns out to have never been dead...bullsh*t. The Joker killed Jason Todd, he's dead, he shouldn't have come back.

Batman and Catwoman actually being involved is more imaginative and at least not typical comic book bullsh*t.

Although, keeping up with Detective Comics, the identity of "Jason Todd" may at least be who I think it is...

Bringing any character back from the dead isn't imaginitive but bringing Jason Todd back from the dead is. In all the years since he was voted to be killed no one has ever gone as far as to bring him back. It's gutsy, the fans wanted the character dead and Loeb's brought him back.

I expect the follow up to disappoint me and if it did actually turn out not to be Todd I'd be even more disappointed. If they're gonna shock the reader's with something like this and then do the equivelent of saying, "just kidding" right after that's pretty lame. Oh and I'd expect that Loeb has absolutely no regard for what's going on in the other books, certainly not enough to base any major plot points on them...
Sir Auros

Batman 618 SPOILER

Post by Sir Auros »

Oh and I'd expect that Loeb has absolutely no regard for what's going on in the other books, certainly not enough to base any major plot points on them...

Hehe, looks like I was right and the DC and Batman storylines are entertwined...even though DC's moved off of the storyline a couple issues ago...

I didn't suspect it'd be Clayface impersonating Jason, but I knew it just couldn't have been him.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

I didn't suspect it'd be Clayface impersonating Jason, but I knew it just couldn't have been him.

Thank you, God. :)
Hound

Re: Batman 618 SPOILER

Post by Hound »

Hehe, looks like I was right and the DC and Batman storylines are entertwined...even though DC's moved off of the storyline a couple issues ago...

Well to be fair it wasn't the guy from the DC story though. I'm pretty confident that Loeb doesn't care what's going on in the other books and any reference made to storyies from the other books is editorial input for continuity's sake.

That said, I was pretty disappointed in 618, oh well, the finale is coming up at least...
Sir Auros

Re: Re: Batman 618 SPOILER

Post by Sir Auros »

I'm pretty confident that Loeb doesn't care what's going on in the other books and any reference made to storyies from the other books is editorial input for continuity's sake.
I dunno, I doubt that he was forced to have that actor from the DC series in as the villain from the beginning and I'd figured that the story arc was being continued in both books like No Man's Land or Bruce Wayne: Fugitive. I mean, isn't the figure in bandages the actor hired by the Arkham gang?
Hound

Re: Re: Re: Batman 618 SPOILER

Post by Hound »

I dunno, I doubt that he was forced to have that actor from the DC series in as the villain from the beginning and I'd figured that the story arc was being continued in both books like No Man's Land or Bruce Wayne: Fugitive. I mean, isn't the figure in bandages the actor hired by the Arkham gang?

Think so?

It would make sense but I doubt that that is what is going to happen. If you look at Loeb's past record he has a serious disregard for continuity. Plus this is a pretty high profile story for the villian to end up as some 3rd rate villain that 90% of the readership probably doesn't even know exists. Seriously if it's that guy then the only readers that it will pay off for is those that read Detective and Batman.

I think it will be someone a little more recognizable to the casual fan. I'm guessing Harvey Dent...
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Who's Hush?
My money is on Harvey Dent.

The reasons I came to is:

1) Hush wears long brown trench coat and bandages.
Dent was wearing the same thing when he met Joker and Gordon

2) When Hush shot Halrod he used two guns.
Dent/Two-Face used 2 guns all time.

3) He's been in Arkham so it's safe to assume that he's made friends with the other villains

4) Loeb has a fasination with the character of Harvey Dent/Two-Face.

How Hush is going to end?

The stupidest way is

Batman wakes up and realizes it was just dream/nightmare/hallution caused when he fell at the start of the
story and wastes a year of my life.
Lame in the extreme.

The best way is:

Batman unmaskes Hush and then beats Hush to a pulp and is about to turn over the cops when Joker shows up and kills Hush.

Joker brought back to be the supreme Batman villain and saves
Batman and company from having their secrets exposed and lays
the ground work for Loeb and Lee's second run storyline.

But that's just my opinions though.
Well to be fair it wasn't the guy from the DC story though. I'm pretty confident that Loeb doesn't care what's going on in the other books and any reference made to storyies from the other books is editorial input for continuity's sake.
That's my biggest problem with the X-Men is the fact that Marvel
makes feel that I have to 6 books to get the plot/point of 1.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.