BotCon 2006 location and details

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

BotCon 2006 location and details

Post by Nevermore »

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=93230
BotCon '06 will be held in Lexington, KY, September 28-Oct 1. We will be at the Hyatt Regency Lexington and the adjoining Lexington Center. Hyatt will have us loaded into their system for reservations by the end of the week.

Convention brochures will be available in a few weeks and I will email you when they are ready.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

What a wonderful time of the year!

They don't have their heads up their asses at all timing it so that the lucrative college-aged nerds can't attend, but long enough past their GI Joe wankfest so that it doesn't cut into profits. Of course, I'm sure attendance is going to be great once you eliminate all the folks that could go during the summer.

The only redeeming factor is that it's somewhat closer to where I am, but I'm still probably not going to go because of the timing. That's a redeeming factor for me anyway, but it doesn't get much more out of the way for the rest of the country than effing Kentucky.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

SEPTEMBER 28th?

Man, if they don't really want to do a con, they should just not do one. Would be easier for everyone all around, I would say.

Well, I'm not going. I've got two girls in school then, and I'm so not taking them out so I can go to a convention.

Savage: "And we've listened to your complaints, and said 'sod off' you whiny selfish Transformers nerds. We've got GI JOE fans to think about!"

Dumbass. Can I say 'dumbass' here? Is that allowed? I mean, 'dumbass' seems appropriate.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by TFVanguard
Savage: "And we've listened to your complaints, and said 'sod off' you whiny selfish Transformers nerds. We've got GI JOE fans to think about!"

Dumbass. Can I say 'dumbass' here? Is that allowed? I mean, 'dumbass' seems appropriate.

1 - Yes, that's pretty much the impression we're getting with them hosting the convention at a piss-poor time of the year again. They can't manage two cons a summer, and for that reason, they shouldn't have two.

2 - Half of my posts are a maelstrom of swearwords and other obscenities and you ask if you can call Brian Savage a dumbass? By all means, call him that and then some.

Does anyone think that a negative fan reaction would work to get the license out of bad hands again? I mean, I'm hoping lightning didn't just strike once when Halit lost things over incompetency.

The fanclub is a load of crap that really only serves a convention that is held at one of the most inopportune times of the year.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
1 - Yes, that's pretty much the impression we're getting with them hosting the convention at a piss-poor time of the year again. They can't manage two cons a summer, and for that reason, they shouldn't have two.
Yep, I mean, if you're in University, that's around mid-terms. Seriously, exam week? I mean, it's not like he didn't get - oh, I dunno - a metric bagillion posts about 'Dude, I'm in college, and I'm not fargin' skipping to go to your rip-off convention!'
By all means, call him that and then some.
I'll stick with 'dumbass' and numerous other variations on the 'ass' theme for now. My kids are around. :P
I mean, I'm hoping lightning didn't just strike once when Halit lost things over incompetency.
Halit deserved to lose the con... this guy never deserved to get it, apparently. I guess I know why John and Karl announced - quite rudely, unusually for them - their departure from Transformers. (Or something like that .. don't have the details there).
The fanclub is a load of crap that really only serves a convention that is held at one of the most inopportune times of the year.

Yeah, can't say that i got my money's worth. I could do better on my own for .. well... free, really. (I never got my figures, and can't seem to get a response from 'em.)

Edit - Nice bit of timing too, that week falls EXACTLY where mid-term exams happen for a lot of students, making it impossible for a lot of the target audience to go.

So, to repeat, 'dumbass'.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Only Jon quit. Karl is still lurking.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

This club is going to hell, fast.
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

that week falls EXACTLY where mid-term exams happen for a lot of students, making it impossible for a lot of the target audience to go.
Ah, but I think they've calculated for that... by choosing a more central location (even with a greatly decreased potential customer base) they should be able to make numbers.

Which should be smaller anyway -- reports are that the convention centre chosen is only designed for just under a thousand, so the aim seems to be to make each attendee more profitable (given that Botcon went over-budget last year and the knock-on effects are being felt by club members.)

[edit] The convention centre website inaccurately referred to the complex -- a thousand is available seating for the dinner, the dealer's hall has around a two thousand capacity. [/edit]

Nevermind that a summer convention with a larger venue would attract (and has previously attracted) more people -- it's all about the squeeze.

Or in short: what dedicon said.

There's no interest in a convention more fans can attend, only a business model to keep the company solvent whilst focusing on the convention they are holding in the summer. Anyone realistically think for a second they'd contemplate rotating dates for the two cons? Nope, because it'd annoy another fandom they've engaged with for longer.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Sounds like a milking to me.

The time really isn't an issue for me, but I sure wouldn't want to go to a convention that no one's at, I can live without the "exclusives" (espeically the ones that are repaints of figures, who are still sitting on store shelves at the time of the convention) and I really don't think it's worth $300-something dollars.
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Originally posted by RID Scourge
I sure wouldn't want to go to a convention that no one's at
And there's the avalanche. A big draw for these things is spending a weekend in the exclusive company of our fellow nerds. A terrible location (Fort Wayne was bad enough, but Kentucky?) and a terrible time and no consideration for why anyone would go to this thing make a big disaster. Here's hoping Hasbro intervenes.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Which one's BotCon again?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I'll stick with 'dumbass' and numerous other variations on the 'ass' theme for now. My kids are around. :P

Oh, don't worry - we've got an overzealous swearfilter that should catch most of what you can say. Yes, I said overzealous... anything that stops me making casual reference to cigarettes has an abundance of zeal.

And anyway, even if you come up with something that the software doesn't catch, the mods don't do anywhere near enough to earn their keep. It's good to keep 'em on their toes.

What? BotCon? Oooh... that's a point. I've got dodgy exclusives sat about somewhere... I love it when I'm reminded of stuff that I can actually get a few quid for on eBay and never ever miss...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ooooh, you'll be missin' that Onyx Primal soon, don't do anything rash.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

A terrible location (Fort Wayne was bad enough, but Kentucky?) and a terrible time and no consideration for why anyone would go to this thing make a big disaster. Here's hoping Hasbro intervenes. [/B]

Actually, Kentucky is a pretty decent location for the 'reach', you get most the US population that way. I'm not sure what's IN Lexington, though... and Indinapolis would have been a LOT better for the airport.

Still, comes down to a god-awful date.
Gesani
Protoform

Post by Gesani »

depending on the price of tickets i might go... it is in a good location for me and since i am not in school the timing isnt a big issue. now if it is gonna cost a arm and a leg to attend then i shall not attend..
chimung
Protoform

Post by chimung »

I've never been to a convention, It's the large crowds of people that puts me off.
"Can you get this Vacuum cleaner to f*ck this cake?", Uncle Grandfather; Perfect Hair Forever
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Sounds like this is the one for you then.
I'm not sure what's IN Lexington, though... and Indinapolis would have been a LOT better for the airport.
Exactly. Kentucky's fine for being in between lots of places, but it fails completely in that it has nothing itself. People who need to do some traveling to these things tend to make mini-vacations of them as well. If you eliminate that component, the main "Hell yeah!" group tends to be comprised of those who are within a reasonable driving distance, and of course the date slices that demographic down even moreso.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by chimung
I've never been to a convention, It's the large crowds of people that puts me off.
You're unlikely to get mobb— dammit, only just noticed 'Flec at the top...

Give it a try if it's an easy trip. The walk-in prices are good even if the toy exclusives, etc. are inflexible.
Jetfire426
Protoform

Post by Jetfire426 »

i never been to botcon before and i was wondering if i can just get the tickets at the door that day or do i have to order them first.. thx
One shall stand, One shall fall...
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

Try http://www.botcon.com
Sign up on or before July 1, 2006 and your registration time will be from 6 pm-8 pm. Sign up after that date and your registration time will start at 8pm. All of your documents will be color coded so we will know to which group you belong. Walk up registrations will not be taken until Friday morning.