Transformers Movie "Universe" Coming.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Transformers Movie "Universe" Coming.

Post by inflatable dalek »

Overseen by the man who gave the world Batman and Robin (one would almost think Paramount are trying to troll the fans who hate Bay by going for a head writer who must by number 1 on their Dear God No list):

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=43843

It does seem to be a bit bandwagon jumping, can they really make enough differentiation between Transformers films to make knocking out more than one every two or three years worthwhile?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

In order for something like this to work, they'd have to differentiate between characters besides Optimus and Bumblebee far better than they have been. It doesn't do much good to do Transformers Origins: Side Swipe, if no one has any clue who Side Swipe actually is. Either way, I don't know that a movie universe is going to work as well in this particular situation as it does in others.

Story-wise, that is. I'm sure it will be a huge money maker.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Maybe they will approach it from an even more story based style - certainly AOE looked to be heading that way. Maybe we get some side stories branching off into other movies where it doesnt follow specific characters like side swipe but maybe a team of autobots or a scenario that has been set up in other movies (for example, from AOE you could have a side story about the Dinobots adapting to being free with a cameo from Prime and then their own story)

Just no Joel Schumacher - I'll take Bay over him anyday.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Finally, the oppurtunity for a rom-com trilogy showing the hilarious hi-jinx that Barricade was up to between films 1 & 3. How long have I been waiting for this? Literally never. This is my excited face: :|
Wreck and Rule!
Clay

Post by Clay »

I wouldn't mind seeing a Transformers film with lower stakes than THE END OF THE WORLD every time.

But it's odd that they have this idea now after the previous films' cast are pretty well wiped out. Prequels seem a bad idea as each individual film has come up with a separate way for the transformers to be intertwined in earth's past. If they go the prequel route to use currently dead characters, then they'll start tripping over continuity even harder than the sequential films do now.

On the other hand, this kind of headache is totally appropriate for the brand as this sort of thing happened in the G1 cartoon constantly. Maybe contradiction is just part-and-parcel for this stuff?
Terome

Post by Terome »

I don't think they'd kill the goose that lays the golden eggs but a reboot that saw a shared world with GI Joe, Furby, Jem & The Holograms and whatnot could be fun? Sunbow played with the idea a bit but didn't do much with the idea.

Off the top of my head - wouldn't the Battleship movie have been marginally more interesting if the baddies had been Decepticons rather than those Decepticon-looking whatsits. I don't know the answer to that, I never watched Battleship. But I do assume it is a turd that needed some polishing.

Man, the bubble is going to burst so hard on this shared universe thing. They seem to be announcing a new Lego movie every day.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Everyone seems to have missed the fact that Marvel pulled off their shared universe by starting slowly, dropping hints then expanding once they knew they were successful enough. They didn't announce the whole series up to Avengers in one go.

That said, any excuse for more Transformers is A-OK in my book
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Well, to be fair, it has been the best part of a decade since the first TF film, it's not as if they've instantly jumped on the bandwagon.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
numbat

Post by numbat »

inflatable dalek wrote:Well, to be fair, it has been the best part of a decade since the first TF film, it's not as if they've instantly jumped on the bandwagon.
And given how successful the first four films have been it seems a measured decision. Planning things out can surely only benefit continuity, in contrast with the fairly disconnected narrative of the first four. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

At the end of the day, I just enjoy watching big robots that turn into vehicles kick the crap out of each other on the big screen. I don't need much of a plot to go with that.

Any indication of when we can expect to see more big screen Transformers action?

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.