Transformers: Robots in Disguise #28

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
zigzagger

Transformers: Robots in Disguise #28

Post by zigzagger »

Transformers: Robots In Disguise #28 preview @ Newsarama.

Full preview to come. Stay tuned.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

It's RID, I know, but I... I kinda liked the preview. It was cute.

Plus, I enjoy Thundercracker. Was wondering when he'd show up again.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Colours look somewhat off. Not bad, but off compared to what we have been having.

Still, very interesting. I knew that Thundercracker would come back sooner than later.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Yeah, I liked that too! :)
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Terome

Post by Terome »

Yes, more of this please.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Ok. This, this is a thing. We need more of this.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Full preview up @ Newsarama.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Laughed out loud with Thundercracker's script.

Nice to have a war flashback, but I'm confused...wasn't Cybertron supposed to be barren from Thunderwing's assault long before "half a million years ago"?
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

The war flashbacks are almost always welcome. There's so much time where everyone was active that there's a lot of history to work through. I'm just getting tired of seeing Metroplex at this point. He's not a character, he's a location or plot device
Terome

Post by Terome »

Didn't notice in the smaller pictures how badly Marissa's face is drawn. Yeesh.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

OUT NOW AND SPOILERS AHOY

For most of its length this was a great read, fun and frothy and like a breath of fresh air from Barber. Sure, the send up of the writing industry is the sort of thing only writers think is interesting, but it had a nice tongue in cheek feel to it. The only thing I'd complain about there is it'd be nice if, rather than making jokes about the overuse of first person narration Barber just didn't overuse first person narration.

The more serious Autobot stuff was nicely done as well, lots of interesting set up with the new cast and poor old Prowl continuing to be completely ignored everytime he makes a sensible suggestion.

The cliffhanger though is one of those things that will completely depend on the resolution, the idea the humans would be so bloody stupid as to trust any Transformers, let alone the Decepticons, in any way shape or form is so idiotic presumably they'll be a subversion fairly quickly. But with the way humans have been handled in IDW before (and in fairness, across most G1 fiction how governments react has never been handled very well) there's always that worrying feeling it might be something to take a complete face value.

Also, Fairborne is pure Brad Mick.

Still, a decent start apart from those worries.

Did anyone else feel this was intended to be released before Windblade? It covers most of the important stuff in the six month gap and actually sets up what "Dawn of the Autobots" is supposed to mean.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

inflatable dalek wrote:The cliffhanger though is one of those things that will completely depend on the resolution, the idea the humans would be so bloody stupid as to trust any Transformers, let alone the Decepticons, in any way shape or form is so idiotic presumably they'll be a subversion fairly quickly. But with the way humans have been handled in IDW before (and in fairness, across most G1 fiction how governments react has never been handled very well) there's always that worrying feeling it might be something to take a complete face value.
I suppose they could always go back to the facsimile thing Furman started. A couple of well planted fake humans could explain the alliance, depending on how well known Transformers are on Earth.

This reminds me about something that annoyed me when Furman's run ended: Devastation #6. During that, we had the presumably unknown-to-humans Decepticons having just defeated the Reapers with the US Air Force coming in. There was some potential in that set up.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Did not realise this was Griffith. Bravo on him for ploughing a new furrow - the action and movement was a big step up. He'll get the hang of lady's faces at some point I'm sure.

I'm pretty mixed on it - I like the basic set-up, how consciously different it is from Windblade, the cast choices and all of the character moments but the evocations of Brad Mick and Costa are not welcome.

I imagine that Barber is often cold at nights. He is always getting new jumpers but can't resist unravelling even the hint of a loose thread.

And man, way to overlabour the jokes. The screenplay intro gets demolished by Fairborne pointing out the funny parts and Cosmos just comes right out and says that he is lonely and bad at talking to people more than once.

This will certainly come up but it's weird for now - the population of the entire species is now low enough that anyone with a clipboard can easily do a headcount. How did they lose track of all those Decepticons?

Oh, and Alpha Trion's quest to hide from Shockwave for half a million years is dumb. That is a dumb idea. I find it dumb.

Everything else was fine though.
inflatable dalek

Hey, you're not meant to be looking at Fairborne's face!

Interesting Spike just wore combat fatigues whilst leading Skywatch, but female Earth soldiers apparently have to go for the skin tight cat suit.

I think Mick/Costa memories are what's making me really fearful rather than what's in the actual comic though.

And A3 knew what Shockwave was up to all along apparently. But thought vague nonsense was more helpful than just coming out with it. God knows what sort of cryptic crossword clue the Earth hologram is supposed to be.

Hey, with Galvatron now a major player again, I wonder if that one dangling jumper thread from Revelation where he suddenly remembered who he really was right before falling into THE SOLAR POOL will be addressed?
Terome

Post by Terome »

inflatable dalek wrote: Hey, with Galvatron now a major player again, I wonder if that one dangling jumper thread from Revelation where he suddenly remembered who he really was right before falling into THE SOLAR POOL will be addressed?
I have zero recollection of this.

Oh wait,

Is it because he's Megatron?
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Yeah, I don't remember that sudden recollection either. I'll have to go back and give it a check
Terome

Post by Terome »

And A3 knew what Shockwave was up to all along apparently. But thought vague nonsense was more helpful than just coming out with it. God knows what sort of cryptic crossword clue the Earth hologram is supposed to be.
I can't figure out whether this irritates me or not. On the one hand, it is consistent with Alpha Trion's bonkers and unhelpful characterisation and very neatly marries up Metroplex's role in dumb old Autocracy with his merely uninteresting Spotlight. On the other hand, god damn. Shockwave was keeping his head down and didn't really have much of a master plan at that point.
I suppose they could always go back to the facsimile thing Furman started. A couple of well planted fake humans could explain the alliance, depending on how well known Transformers are on Earth.
Facsimilies are a great idea plucked from solid science fiction but their presence does kind of negate the plausibility of the Decepticons needing train-people and car-people active on the ground in the first place.

Hehe - remember how IMPORTANT that dead general was, back in the day? Who even was that guy?

And ho ho - remember when Megatron used little Megatron guns to mind-control humans when he could mass-produce them in a vat?

Will Arcee the robot now finally meet Arcee Arthurs, the news reporter with a distractingly strange name?
inflatable dalek

Actually, if the facsimile guy who was running for President actually is President now that would almost make perfect sense.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Senator Holt, yes? I bet he's had a long and interesting life that Barber thinks we all want to read about.

Actually, I'm being unfair. An abandoned alien weapon left to stew during some very troubled times is quite a good hook. Give him a four-issue miniseries!
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Did we ever get anything accounting for the time between Revelation and AHM? Or even anything saying how long passed between the two? It's possible that facsimile was dealt with in that time period. May just be one of those unanswered things we have to deal with.