Most underrated toys OR favorite toys maligned by others

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Clay

Most underrated toys OR favorite toys maligned by others

Post by Clay »

These threads are proving to be quite fascinating.

Just chime with whatever you think are diamonds in the rough. I do ask that you post reasons for your choices (i.e. -what you like about the figure(s) that you think others have missed), as that's proving to be the most interesting aspect. For me, anyway :cool:

I'll post my thoughts a little later.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hmmm, there are lots that I could have posted a couple of years ago, but of late lots of figures have had second chances that have given them another shot - Sixliner, Skids, the Go-Bots, the MW basics [people have finally realised the Indy Car is the best mould of its' size in the line's history], the Cyberjets, the Lasercycles, Micromasters [partially due to the promotion the mini-series gave them] etc. Similarly, anyone who isn't a fanboy tosspot seems to have realised how awesome both batches of Decepticon Targetmasters are, especially once you chuck the TM figures and give them normal guns...

Ratchet I personally like a lot. He doesn't look like the TV version [so what?] and he's a bit uconventional, but he's actually rather cute and good fun.

The Monsterbots [well, Repugnus and Doublecross at least] deserve respect too. A little unusual, but nice figures, quite inventive.

Lots of the simple, smaller figures like the Throttlebots, Jumpstarters and Sparkabots I rather like, simply because they're nice and simple. They're not really meant to be Black Convoy, they're just meant to be cheap and cheerful.

Oh, and I watch with great interest as some idiots reel off the usual "Beast Wars range"/"Shockwave"/Laser Rod Optimus" crap, listing a bunch of figures no-one ever says anything bad about....
Ranma
Protoform

Post by Ranma »

Darkwing and Dreadwind, I love these guys very true to the comic and the only ones beside starsaber and victory leo with a non robot combination (magmatron doesnt count cause he is a derp)

Mindwipe and Weirdwolf, again just fantastic figures.
Nifty!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I'm quite fond of several gestalt team members. Hun-grrr's quite possibly the best figure from the entire G1 line, while Blades, First Aid, Skydive, Air Raid, Scrapper, Scavenger and Afterburner are all nice little figures. Most people tend to focus on the combined modes, and understandably so...but since most of the combined modes are so lacklustre, I'm more interested in the individual figures.

I like a few of the Pretenders (Waverider, Bomb-Burst, Bumblebee and Bludgeon, to be precise). I think that sub-line got a bad rap, TBH...

I adore the Micromaster vehicular combiners (with two Micros joining to form one vehicle). A few of the pairings have sub-par results, but most of them (Phaser and Blastmaster's space shuttle mode, or Power Punch and Direct-Hit's mobile artillery mode) are better than most minibot-sized figures. Plus, it's kinda neat to be able to attach a space shuttle cockpit to the back of a dump truck. :D No one (aside from Flec, anyway...) seems to pay these guys much attention, though.

Several of the less talked about new mould G2 toys were nice...Ransack has always been one of my favourites, for one.

I'm a G1 Ultra Magnus fan, despite the fact that he's a gaint brick. Not quite sure why, though...
Hound

Post by Hound »

I like Maximus. I know lots of people want the figure, in one form or another, but no one really says anything good about it, just that they want it. The city mode is awesome and it's huge. If you've got enough little TFs it makes for a great playset.

Gas Skunk and Slapper from RID two cool little figures that no one ever seemed to notice.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

The Omnibots

A lot of people like Tracks . He can fly and has weaponry in car mode

As do the Omnis 2 of them can fly . They have concealed Weaponry . Flip out dual machine guns , hidden missile launchers more hand arms than you can shaeke a stick at .

If theyd been marketed with Stats and personalities in the English speaking world and were available more widely i think the kids would have liked them.

A Transforming Ferrari thats got to go down well

Cant remember the other 2 except one was a Mazda something
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

BM maximal basics, or some of them. I didn't almost realize that these exist, despite being some sort of beast collector. Got Quickstrike (wolf, not to be confused with BW Quickstrike) in a small trade and really liked it. Nice little toy, effective transformation, working gimmick that doesn't get in way, looks good in both modes.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/b ... trike1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/b ... trike2.jpg

Got few more after that. Maximal basics seem to have a sort of samurai theme, which is quite ironic considering most of these were never available in Japan. Weapons are nicely part of the mold.

Battle Unicorn (want the recolour as well)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/b ... icorn1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/b ... corn1b.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/b ... icorn2.jpg

Longhorn
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/b ... ghorn1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/b ... ghorn2.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/b ... horn2b.jpg

With reservation also Geckobot, whose robot mode is a bit weak.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/b ... kobot1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/b ... kobot2.jpg

On the other hand Silverbolt and Buzzsaw deserve all the bad things said about them. Still missing Night Viper and that shark.
chimung
Protoform

re:

Post by chimung »

I love brickbots that turn into some kind of city or base, despite having almost no posability...I love bases!
"Can you get this Vacuum cleaner to f*ck this cake?", Uncle Grandfather; Perfect Hair Forever
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Powermaster Optimus Prime/God Ginari I understand why people hate this toy but this is my favorite version of Prime due to my late
mother bought this one for me.

Fortress Maximus-this is one toy I thought I would never get to
own (the G1 version) and when I went to my comic book store and saw him standing on the counter around Christmas was just
special and surreal.

Night Slash Cheetor I know I said that 96% of Beast Machines were crap and I stand by that, but this one falls in 3% that were
cool.

The Cyberjets very cool toys easy to transform G2 toys and a lot of possiablity.

The Raptorjets- Like the Cyberjets these Machine Wars toys were
easy to transform and pose.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

BW Megatron first version: Okay, the toy does not have hands, but neither does he have weapons for the hands to hold! Pretty well articulated for it's age, love the pincer arm. Has a nice, solid [semi-brickish] T-Rex mode.

BW II Galvatron: Few people have him, and those few do not rank him that high. He is fun, imposing and super articulated. Can achieve some menacing poses in dragon mode, and his drill mode is fun. The lavender colour detracts some points.

RID Magnus: Not sure why, but he's overshadowed by RID Prime. Once you get used to the big legs, he is a real gem. Even though he was created for the sole purpose of merging with Prime, he manages to have a ball jointed head, something that's missing from the GF line. His gattling gun looks cool.

BM Jetstorm [deluxe]: Fun mould. Has details that beat today's figures. Love his imposing arms but not that crazy about the legs.

BW Cybershark is a very, very, very underrated toy [not once have I seen any discussions about him] but as you can see from my review, there are plenty of weapons for him, and lots of play value.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Clay

Post by Clay »

My turn!

The Superlink/Energon Superion.

Why I like it: The original five-member combiners, while fairly original in concept, were still pretty faulted. The individual figures all lacked any substantial articulation, and this was magnified in the larger mode, along with the problem of too many parts. (I'm not talking out of my ass here - this bugged me even when I was a kid).

With the advent of Superlink/Energon, we got the five-member scheme back for new sets of figures. Not only were the individual figures well-designed and articulated out the wazoo, but the gestalt modes were, too! In addition, the new designs rectified the lego-kit problem of the originals. The gestalt hands and feet are simply used as weapons for the other modes (or perhaps the weapons being used as hands/feet is more accurate). This was awesome!

My favorite out of the three was Superion. Not only did the toys themselves seem well-done, but their form as a small squadron gave the Autobots some military strength, as well. It didn't have molded fists, per se, but the gun assemblies could open and close, and that was close enough for me considering all the negative baggage from the G1 combiners was dumped. Besides, it made more sense for the gestalt mode to have guns instead of hands: if it needs to use hands, it could just disengage into the sub-bots; if the sub-bots need more firepower, then they could combine to use more heavy arms.

Why other people dislike it: It ain't got no hands. People seem to have remarkably small imaginations when it comes to the aesthetic designs of alien-transforming-robots :eyebrow: With a little bit of mental play, all of the dis-human aspects of appearance and functionality can be easily and logically rectified, as above. But, alas, no...

There's also the matter of the reuse of molds, but that was because of financial limitations, so I've personally never considered that as a valid topic for critique.

Also, it is a little gawky-looking, but this seems immaterial as well. They combine for fire-power, not fashion styles :p

Anyway, whatever faults it does have seem to be vastly outweighed by the amount of things it gets right due to the advance in quality over the originals.

So nya. :p

Also, I don't think people have fully realized how cool the Robotmaster Seeker jet mold is yet. It's not quite as articulated as it needs to be, but it's a far-and-away improvement over the original just because it dumps all the spare parts.
chiasaur11
Protoform

Post by chiasaur11 »

Energon Jetfire. G1 slag. And unrelated note: my G1 transformer perceptor can hold allmost all energon and armada weapons!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Oh, and I watch with great interest as some idiots reel off the usual "Beast Wars range"/"Shockwave"/Laser Rod Optimus" crap, listing a bunch of figures no-one ever says anything bad about....

Y'know, I don't see the appeal for a lot of the Beast Wars era figures. I thought the show was stellar, but the concept just doesn't cut it for me and the beast modes did a piss-poor job of hiding the robot within most of the time.

I like Powermaster Prime even if it is a brick because it has a good heft to it, the base mode was great, and it was the only Prime I ever had as a kid.
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
Y'know, I don't see the appeal for a lot of the Beast Wars era figures. I thought the show was stellar, but the concept just doesn't cut it for me and the beast modes did a piss-poor job of hiding the robot within most of the time.
This, along with the counter that the robot modes are covered with animal parts, is the exact reason I don't bother with BW toys. I can't understand why one would other than nostalgia. Good show, not so good toys. Ah, but this thread's for saying nice things, yes?

Quick Switch, would you believe. Yes the colors are pretty atrocious, and the proportions, hanging parts, and designs in a few modes are painful, but it has five so-so transformations rather than one so-so transformation as most G1 figures do. This, combined with the fact that it's sturdy and fairly cheaper than Sixshot (due to size and demand), makes the poor mutant totally wicked. One of my favorite G1's.
Originally posted by Warcry
No one (aside from Flec, anyway...) seems to pay these guys much attention, though.
I used to think that there must be others somewhere, but it turns out that even with a whole site dedicated to the poor Micros (linked in my sig, I believe), there are only about four guys who post at the message board... They do rock though. A lot of them have better alt modes, robot modes, and proportions than most items pre-Energon. Combine that with an unbeatable price, uniform sizes, and bases (!!!), and you can't lose.

To be fair, Cliffy shares my adoration for the poor bastards. Maybe one or two others. And damn the rest of you.
Flec's selling a lot of RID, Armada, and Energon, and a few G1 toys. 'S all I'm sayin'.
The TFArchive RPG - "the most popular part of the site[!]" - Skywarp. Darn tootin'.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Micromasters just have the best playability of any range, largely for the reasons you mention... I mean, Soundwave's great and all, but transform him next to Skywarp and it looks mad. He also can't get into a rocket base and sit in a funky little turret.

The other great thing about Micromasters is they're generally really consistent. They all look like they're from the same toyline, unlike the Mini-Cons, and even the odd wrong'un like Glide or that combiner Blackbird doesn't stick out in a group as much as Nightbeat, Swindle, Rook or Highwire would in a line-up with the better Mini-Cons. Anyone else prefer the Mini-Cons that could just about pass as Micros - Longarm, Inferno etc.?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Reflector
Quick Switch, would you believe.
Are you sure this isn't an RPG-related character attachment? ;)
Anyone else prefer the Mini-Cons that could just about pass as Micros - Longarm, Inferno etc.?
If you mean Minicons with minimal gimmicks and decent robot modes, then I'm with you all the way.

Too many of the Minicons were ruined by their 'special' gimmicks...Refute, Firebot, Sonar and Thunderwing, to name but a few. And then there's Rollout, who doesn't even deserve the name Minicon (his vehicle mode is nearly as big as G1 First Aid!). I'm a lot more impressed by Minicons like Terradive, Windsheer, Jetstorm, Runway...guys with designs that aren't compromised by whatever extra gimmicks might have been tacked on.

Essentially, I think that a tiny TF with a good amount of detail is good enough. Jamming a half-assed winch thing into that TF's chest is just overkill.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

This, along with the counter that the robot modes are covered with animal parts, is the exact reason I don't bother with BW toys. I can't understand why one would other than nostalgia.

That's about as valid as saying G1 robot modes are covered by vehicle parts -> I don't bother with them. You don't like the concept (robots transforming to animals) fair enough, but that second sentence is just baiting.

There are more people liking micromasters, it's just not very exciting topic for discussion. Micromasters miniseries from Dreamwave could have changed the situation, but even I haven't read it because of really bad revies. Maybe it's a time for Micromasters appreciation thread? :p

I have some micros and parts for trade. Same problem? Send pm.
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Originally posted by Osku
That's about as valid as saying G1 robot modes are covered by vehicle parts -> I don't bother with them. You don't like the concept (robots transforming to animals) fair enough, but that second sentence is just baiting.
See, I've just always felt it's more reasonable for a mechanical robot to turn into a mechanical car than an organic wolf or what-have-you. The former, at least, could get away with having seams in many cases... Not saying that G1 toys are fantastic of course, but I find the unbelievability of a lot of BW robots, a personal lack of nostalgia, and the flaws Auros noted above make spending money on them difficult to justify.
Anyone else prefer the Mini-Cons that could just about pass as Micros - Longarm, Inferno etc.?
Not necessarily. Though I do appreciate those Mini-Cons that blend seamlessly into the Micro army, I like Minis for being unique and making use of modern tech for better posing and such. But as Warcry said, the gimmick really wrecked a lot of figures. Buzzsaw, for example, could have been a mutha if it weren't for the goofy gear mechanism...
Flec's selling a lot of RID, Armada, and Energon, and a few G1 toys. 'S all I'm sayin'.
The TFArchive RPG - "the most popular part of the site[!]" - Skywarp. Darn tootin'.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

See, I've just always felt it's more reasonable for a mechanical robot to turn into a mechanical car than an organic wolf or what-have-you. The former, at least, could get away with having seams in many cases... Not saying that G1 toys are fantastic of course, but I find the unbelievability of a lot of BW robots, a personal lack of nostalgia, and the flaws Auros noted above make spending money on them difficult to justify.
Technically BW beasts aren't organic, but I can see where you're coming from with that. I also prefer the more mechanical looking transmetal and transmetal2 toys, but I've learnt to appreciate the earlier molds as well. Zero nostalgy attached, first contact as an adult. :p
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

It's much easier to replicate a car into a toy rather than an animal. With cars you can use die cast metal, transparent plastic for windshields, rubber for wheels and you're set.

With beast moulds it's all up to moulding. Considering that the first BW toys came out in 1995-96, they all looked pretty good. Sure, Dinobot's legs were showing and the first basics had the robot mode hanging on the underside but...

Bots like Megatron were really good at hiding the beast mode, and so did Scorponok, Rhinox and even Inferno!

I personally find the TM2 designs fantastic because they're so assymetrical. Others find them atrocious.

90% of people who like [or say they do] G1 toys say it out of pure nostalgia. Everybody is like 'oh I grew up with this' etc. Very few of those toys can live up to today's standarts. Early BW toys can still stand up to GF and Energon figures, how about G1 toys?
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.