Would Someone Kill Metallica Please?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Galvatron91

Would Someone Kill Metallica Please?

Post by Galvatron91 »

I realize that once upon a time, when I was a wee lad, I enjoyed Metallica quite a bit...but honest to God, St. Anger was almost unforgivable...no pun intended. But really? They've had 6 years to come up with an album...and this garbage is what they came up with? I've only heard half the album, debuted on a local station in the Twin Cities...and I wanted to pound my head through a cinder block...maybe I've grown up...hell, maybe I've just plain matured...nah...that's not possible, but seriously? I'm sorry...what the ****?

The Day That Never Comes was one of the few songs on this I liked...and even that one at times I had to pause and sort of cringe. Still, it's better than most of the rest of the noise I heard off the other four tracks from Death Magnetic.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Haven't listened to the new stuff, and I only heard the single (or whatever was on the radio) from St. Anger and knew it wasn't for me.

I'm more pissed at them for signing an exclusivity deal with Guitar Hero for their music. Means that Enter Sandman is one of the THREE songs from Rock Band that can't be imported to Rock Band 2. That, and I guess we won't be seeing any of their stuff as DLC.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Tell me you aren't surprised though, with the money whore that Lars has become, he'd license his own sperm to make a nickle or two.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Not surprised in the slightest. I don't begrudge them not wanting their music pirated (I'll never agree that it's the same as stealing), but the whole Napster saga helped to sour me on them.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

That and the whole Newsted deal sealed their fate for me...the fact that St. Anger was a steaming pile of garbage was just another nail in the coffin.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Well I've listened to the whole album and I like it. Pretty good stuff and a return to form after St Anger.

As for the Napster saga, I don't see why folks got angry with them, theft is theft and that's generally what file-sharing and downloading is (and yes before anyone jumps in of course I've done it. I doubt there's a resasonably computer savvy person who hasn't done it) and let's not forget Napster wasn't a kid in his room, it was backed by some pretty heavy venture capitalists.

Andy
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Do you dislike any one of them in particular, or shall I just Kill 'Em All?
Wreck and Rule!
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Rack 'n Ruin wrote:Do you dislike any one of them in particular, or shall I just Kill 'Em All?
You're off the team.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Clay

Post by Clay »

So their new album is the same shit from a few years ago in a different pile?
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Blaster wrote:You're off the team.
Aw man, I've been Newstead-ed.
Wreck and Rule!
Sades

Post by Sades »

I like their older stuff.

You can kill them. But after I've seen them in December, yes?
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Funny story: I bought St. Anger back when Circuit City was still in business in the town I live in. The first copy didn't work, and I should have taken that as an ill omen. The second copy I bought worked but was I majorly disappointed. I still have St. Anger, but haven't listened to it, or Metallica much since. I was mad at the whole Napster thing and the stupid comparison "if you share my music, you share my groupies, diseases, etc." argument. What does that entire statement have to do with sharing music? If the record companies had lowered the price of CD's then I doubt people would have done it, or like me, if I can't find an album I like anywhere (before I started using ebay heavily for some things) then of course I am going to download it. The whole good thing about downloading is you listen to something before you buy it, like taking a car out for a test drive before you buy it in case you change your mind (might be a bad comparison, but sue me). I don't see sharing and downloading as wrong UNLESS you then make a bootleg copy and then sell it for profit, but hell, the Grateful Dead used to encourage that and it worked for their music. Thanks Galv for telling me the new album is a pile of garbage, I was tempted to give it a listen, but now I won't.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

I'd listen to a sample or at least the radio cuts before you decide for or against it...your tastes may be different than mine. Turnbull says he didn't mind it...so you may as well. For my tastes, it was the same shit that St. Anger had.

As for the Napster thing, the root of capitalism is the ability to adapt to new situations and engage in substitution if the products are inferior or expensive. The recording industry artificially inflated the price of music and created their own problem, then went nuts when people found a substitute. Simple capitalism is adapt or perish...Metallica served as frontline whores for the industry and rather than find another solution, they wanted to kill the problem completely.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

After St. Anger.. My interest in them died. They did such a good job with S&M, and then St Anger basically blew them away from their original sound, at least that's how I feel. That, and I just can't stand Lars lol.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Id definitely give the new album a listen.

I've listened to the samples and heard a number of the songs played over radio etc and... I'm not convinced, I feel it is better than St Anger and Load/Reload, but barely.

My friends, however, absolutely love what theyve heard and cant wait for the launch, and every single review/opinion ive heard about it in mags, on the net and on the radio, who have listened in their entirety, have said it is absolutely amazing.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Sir Auros wrote:Not surprised in the slightest. I don't begrudge them not wanting their music pirated (I'll never agree that it's the same as stealing), but the whole Napster saga helped to sour me on them.
See, that's why I was confused when I read this t'other day:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7598617.stm

Make minds up!
Sades

Post by Sades »

I think the entire Napster thing was overreacting to a technology one didn't understand the concept behind. Metallica are probably more willing to embrace things as they are after processing the information [and seeing other people go the ninnernet route and come out of it non-broke].

Oh, and they probably realise that the Napster thing damaged their reputation severely... that might have had a hand in things as well. IMO.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

The one thing I didn't like about the Napster thing is that they were suing the defendants for many thousands of dollars per song that was downloaded and shared.

The whole thing felt more like Metallica trying to financially ruin people whom they felt were "stealing" from them. Had it been about recouperating losses instead of making examples, then the amounts would have been a lot more reasonable. There were also the cases of mistaken identity where the old man who didn't even own a computer was sued or the parent who was sued on account of their minor child.

I think the best example of this was the case where someone was able to prove that they only lost about 97 cents per song that he downloaded (the going rate of iTunes at the time, I believe) so he only had to pay them a few bucks. Lemme see if I can find a link . . . nothing popped up . . .
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

RID Scourge wrote:The one thing I didn't like about the Napster thing is that they were suing the defendants for many thousands of dollars per song that was downloaded and shared.

The whole thing felt more like Metallica trying to financially ruin people whom they felt were "stealing" from them. Had it been about recouperating losses instead of making examples, then the amounts would have been a lot more reasonable. There were also the cases of mistaken identity where the old man who didn't even own a computer was sued or the parent who was sued on account of their minor child.

I think the best example of this was the case where someone was able to prove that they only lost about 97 cents per song that he downloaded (the going rate of iTunes at the time, I believe) so he only had to pay them a few bucks. Lemme see if I can find a link . . . nothing popped up . . .
They didn't sue any of the individual downloaders at all. They went after Napster themselves for providing the framework for the copyright violations. The names they obtained where in response to Napster saying they couldn't find and stop the people trading metallica tunes and said well we call bullshit on that and promptly did.

Andy
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Someone was suing individual downloaders, and you can bet Metallica got a piece of that.