Auto Assembly News

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Auto Assembly News

Post by inflatable dalek »

Just back from what turned out to be a longer weekend than I'd expected (thanks to my train station closing on Sunday unexpectedly. I do like how work has gone "We're going to open longer on Sundays over the Summer because the Olympics is going to bring loads of extra people to Kidderminster [miles away from any Olympic events]" whilst Chiltern trains has gone "We're going to close Kidderminster train station over the Summer because no one would possibly want to visit or leave the place at the height of the holiday season would they?").

Not a huge amount of news, but general tidbits

SPOILERS FOR RELEASED ISSUES (and hints for future ones] HO!

[Note: Bits in square brackets like this are just my guesses/opinions and should be treated as such rather than a grand proclamation of fact. If you disagree that's cool, my thoughts aren't any more valid than yours. Some recent interactions- especially regards some of my Regeneration One thoughts- have made me feel this needs pointing out for once to avoid arguing rather than discussing...] :

Regeneration One:

Wildman hates his GI Joe pencils, but was impressed as to how Baskerville managed to bring them up to what he would consider his usual standard, and made him realise he didn't need to put as much detail in when working with a inker of that quality [A beginning of an explanation for the... inconsistent quality of the art he's done from War Within onwards?]

He also admits to not being obsssessed with being "On Model" as he was back in the '80's [Certainly explaining why Megatron and Springer especially suffer from very odd changing chests].

Wildman is currently up to the end of issue 88 and is actually taking a bit of a break as he's too far ahead [Rushing it maybe? I know, harsh...]

His personal opionion is that, once they'd been persuaded to do it, Hasbro have less interest in Regeneration One than any other TF comic he's been involved with [Possible personal bias there though, last year he was very harsh on Hasbro not wanting to do the book to the point Furman looked somewhat uncomfortable with him being so blunt].

The clincher on Hasbro Okaying the book was Furman being able to provide a list of 12 unresolved plotlines from the original comics. The "What happened to the Headmasters heads?" question wasn't even on there.

Grimlock's plot is pretty much [Furman wasn't clear on this point, there might be the odd scene here and there?] not going to be picked up on till the second storyline starting in issue 86. Which will also involve Slag heavily.

Issue 85 is going to be The Big One and involve something obvious that never really happened before in the American series [At a guess... a one on one Prime Vs Megatron fight? It would fit in with some of the artwork we've seen and- whilst it's something for which the semantics could be argued over- it roughly fits]. From the way it was being bigged up if you don't think that issue is the best thing ever, this comic won't work for you in the long run.

The issue will also have Kup doing something very Kupy that will make why he's the lead focus character for this arc really obvious.

Circuit Smasher was deliberately designed to look like something that Wildman might have come up with back in 1991 [So he didn't get Furman's memo on why he doesn't like G2 anymore?] and is meant to have a Rob Liefeld feel [It's worth noting Wildman has mainly worked outside of comics for quite some time now and may well be completely unaware what most people think of Liefeld now].

Even if the rights issues would let Furman use Circuit Breaker he wouldn't want her in this book as one of the things he's keen to emphasise is how both Earth and Nebulos have changed drastically over the years but Cybertron has stagnated [Not conivinced by this myself, but perhaps the secret origin of NuSpike will make it seem less like reusing one old character in a rehash of another].

Issue 83 will however involve one old [Copyright free] Marvel human character as an explanation for how Spike became Smasher [Blackrock is my guess].

83 will also feature a very large tip of the hat to Marvel UK. And-though it isn't UK continuity- Ultra Magnus is in this book for the sole reason of having a fight with Galvatron in the third arc, which will feature various nods at Target: 2006.

[Furman actually seemed to be getting frustrated with the amount of times he's had to explain that UK and G2 aren't part of this books continuity and why they made that choice- there were at least two questions about this during the panel itself. Though frankly that's his own fault for trying to have his cake and eat it by making that decision but still including lots of references to both and just assuming everyone buying reads his blog and every interview as well so they're up to speed].

More Than Meets The Eye:

Not a huge amount we didn't know from this panel really, main new stuff:

Yes Overlord is the monster in the basement.

They may have been to Delphi, but we don't yet know why they shouldn't have gone there. [My guess at this stage is that Ambulon is the guy the DJD are after and he's not as reformed as he might seem].

The Rewind flashback story is set around the same time as Chaos Theory- so it's Orion Pax rather than Optimus Prime.

Swerve has a troubled past which will be explored in the Annual.

There's been no outside pressure from Hasbro to make the whole thing feel more "Aligned" [I'm not sure if that gels with everyone suddenly being in W/FoC toy modes but maybe "Make it feel more like a toy advert" is a different thing].

Monstrosity:

The only real bit of info on this was that it was be a Megatron-centric story.

Chaos Theory:

Roberts was selling his script and outlines for this two parter, and there's a few interesting tidbits:

From the Chaos Theory Scripts:

Xaaron originally excused himself so as to go talk to Ultra Magnus about the Tyrest Accord rather than to sort Wheeljack out with a new lab.

Rung is introduced with the note that special care should be taken with his design as he's intended for one of [Not automatically the Roberts one it seems] Ongoings.

In flashback Optimus is Optimus Pax (though the full name is only introduced in the second issue) rather than Orion Pax. Presumably explaining the mistake that slipped into the end of the original second issue. Though ironically the script does have the Senator call him Orion around that point-possibly even the same line, I haven't checked yet. A change in progress, or subconscious slip on Roberts part? [Either way I would guess they went with Orion so when he went back to his old name later it would be more different].

In the first part Rodimus isn't present and everything he said in the final issue is given to Ultra Magnus [who also keeps his final lines]. This had obviously been changed by the time the second issue was written as Rodimus' lines about his argument with Optimus are the same as in the final issue.

When describing how Optimus should be holding his gun in the second part Roberts mentions having once been a policeman, considering that's now Pax's pre-war occupation is there a bit of Mary Sueing going on there? [And there was me thinking Rung was getting all of that].

Megatron Spotlight Pitch:

Refers to Heart of Darkness as Galvatron's Brigade, and would have featured various reactions to Megatron's capture from Decepticon bases that would have become part of Galvatron's army.

Impactor [and presumably Guzzle] would have been in the present day sequences and more would have been made of the fact Impactor was the direct inspiration for everything Megatron has done since by his refusal to just accept his lot and fight the system back in the day. In a fit of fury Impactor would have cut off Megatron's Decepticon symbol as a sort of "Scalping" [Have to say, glad none of this made it].

There would have been a lot more characters coming in to talk to Megatron, and all Optimus would have done for most of his visits would be to watch silently [Again, improved on in the final version].

The DJD (already intended to be all new characters) would attack Omega Supreme to try and kill Megatron.

When Optimus and Megatron finally talk, the thrust of Megatron's speech in mainly focused on how Prime is only famous because of him.

[It reads as very packed for a 22 page comic, there's no indication it was intended to be longer than usual though].

Pitch for the second part (Called Prelude to Chaos by this point):

This story was only extended to a second part because, and I'll quote this directly from Roberts notes:

"The second part of "Chaos Theory" focusing on Optimus Prime/Orion Pax came about late in the day, after Hasbro said that they wanted something showing how Optimus had coined the term "Autobot"".

[Now, the final issue did turn out good, but if IDW are turning out 22 page stories because Hasbro have a back of the stamp idea they want included it makes Wildman's surprise at their complete lack on interest in Regeneration One more understandable.]

As there were no Rodion flashbacks in the previous pitch "Scattergun" [Not Whirl] has been arrested on police brutality charges unrelated to Megatron.

Optimus only has one assistant, called Blister. Optimus himself is much newer to the area than in the finished issue and takes his first tour round the Dead End which opens his eyes a great deal.

Rung was in the present day sequences, with Optimus having a session with him. The joke being Rung's a terrible psychiatrist [I'm glad when he finally made it to the present that- whilst he's still a source of humour- he's still good at his job].

There's a note at the end that this could be the launching point to more pre-war stories showing Optimus recruiting a rebel cell of freedom fighters to take down the senate conspiracy. Possibly Autocracy should cut that off, but we are getting that Rewind flashback set about this time...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cheers.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Brilliant Auto Assembly skills there!

Here's something that's puzzling me:
In the first part Rodimus isn't present and everything he said in the final issue is given to Ultra Magnus [who also keeps his final lines]. This had obviously been changed by the time the second issue was written as Rodimus' lines about his argument with Optimus are the same as in the final issue.
Am I remembering that right by thinking that it's the conversation about having the Matrix and transformation cogs singing and such? That was going to be a wack-o TFTM reference? Dang!
When describing how Optimus should be holding his gun in the second part Roberts mentions having once been a policeman, considering that's now Pax's pre-war occupation is there a bit of Mary Sueing going on there? [And there was me thinking Rung was getting all of that].
I was thinking Sam Vimes, but a Roberts Mary Sue makes sense. Tsk tsk!
Circuit Smasher was deliberately designed to look like something that Wildman might have come up with back in 1991 [So he didn't get Furman's memo on why he doesn't like G2 anymore?] and is meant to have a Rob Liefeld feel [It's worth noting Wildman has mainly worked outside of comics for quite some time now and may well be completely unaware what most people think of Liefeld now].
This is mind-bending.
inflatable dalek

Terome wrote: Am I remembering that right by thinking that it's the conversation about having the Matrix and transformation cogs singing and such? That was going to be a wack-o TFTM reference? Dang!
That's the one in the second issue that (in this version of the scripts anyway) is still Rodimus. The stuff that was originally said by Ultra Magnus in the first part was him berating Optimus for getting too pally with Megatron during their private chat.

EDIT: Oh wait, no I misread you. I would guess from how it reads that was always going to be a Prime/Rodimus conversation, it was only after he decided on that he went back and gave him some of Magnus' stuff in the previous issue, so there never was a Magnus version of that conversation.

Just a guess though. I would however bet it was- as with Rung's appearance- done with the purpose of setting up MTMTE stuff.

Magnus is also secretly watching when Prime VVH's Megatron, I can't recall without checking if either he or Rodimus do that in the finished comic.

I was thinking Sam Vimes, but a Roberts Mary Sue makes sense. Tsk tsk!
It might be a joke on his part but it seemed sincere to me (It's when he's describing how Optimus should be holding his gun up by his face when he comes into the precinct as a "Real cop would" which he clarifies by going "I left the force years ago, maybe it's all changed").

This is mind-bending.
Despite some digs I made up thread, Wildman actually came over much better than he has the last couple of years where he's clearly been very annoyed with Transformers as a whole (publicly announcing his retirement two years ago, really laying into Hasbro over their original reticence to do Regeneration One last year). He seemed much more his old sardonic, wryly humorous self so he could well have been completely taking the piss. But I've included the stuff he seemed genuine about.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

If Roberts was a cop in Blighty, I doubt he'd be swanning about with a handgun . . .
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

He's from Jersey though isn't he? So he'd basically be John Nettles.

No idea what the police set up is like over there, but even if he'd been the equivalent of a Special he could have been pally with the armed response boys.

Oddly enough when I rewatched Dark Knight Rises yesterday I noticed Commissioner Gordon was doing the "Hold the gun by your head" thing as he went down the sewers. And if anyone knows about correct procedure it's the guy who leads a man hunt down the sewers after armed lunatics personally despite being the highest ranking cop in the city.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Most of the gun chaps I've encountered prefer the "hold it round your neck and pretend you're Rambo" technique, so I doubt I'm a great judge . . .
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

One thing that made me smile that I forgot to mention is that the statute of limitations on Shane McCarthy must have expired as the Furman written script reading had what is- to the best of knowledge- the first out and out bitch slap from him towards All Hail Megatron. With Hunter waking up and being assured by Verity that it was all a terrible dream.

So there you go folks, that's canon if you want.
Terome

Post by Terome »

inflatable dalek wrote:One thing that made me smile that I forgot to mention is that the statute of limitations on Shane McCarthy must have expired as the Furman written script reading had what is- to the best of knowledge- the first out and out bitch slap from him towards All Hail Megatron. With Hunter waking up and being assured by Verity that it was all a terrible dream.

So there you go folks, that's canon if you want.
Let's obsessively catalogue it as part of the 'Hail and Farewell' microcontinuity!
inflatable dalek

Is that the one where Maximum Dinobots was good?
Terome

Post by Terome »

inflatable dalek wrote:Is that the one where Maximum Dinobots was good?
Sadly, that is only the case in the 2030 Boom! Studios reboot. The Great Plague struck two months afterwards, slaughtering billions.
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

Thanks for the report! :)
inflatable dalek

From the convention, a lengthy (two hour!) page by page, panel by panel commentary by James and Nick on More Than Meets the Eye issue 6. Lots of interesting stuff, and- of course- spoilers for up to issue 7:

http://theunderbase.libsyn.com/webpage/ ... -the-eye-6

In non plot related stuff, it turns out this is the actual end of the first arc and was intended to close out the first trade before the decision to include Death of Optimus Prime pushed it out (though it doesn't explain why that isn't still a six issue book ending with issue 5), and as such was crafted with an "End of season" feel.