Star Wars or Star Trek?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

Trek or Wars?

Star Trek
49%
Star Wars
51%

Total votes: 39

Summerhayes

Star Wars or Star Trek?

Post by Summerhayes »

In general, the whole franchise, concept, characters, TV series, films and expanded universe.
Simple question. But simple answer . . ?
I like bears.
Sades

Post by Sades »

MLP FO LIFE, YO.

You need an "other" poll option.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There isn't much I like about Star Wars except the general Jedi concept and Yoda.

I prefer science fiction to be more utopian.
Hound

Post by Hound »

What's MLP?

You need a "I like both equally" option.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound wrote:What's MLP?
You just made my day, because now I get to post this:

Hound

Post by Hound »

Don't we have a rule about animated graphics? Can I ban Sadie?
Sades

Post by Sades »

No, you can't. Because the rule applies to sigs only AFAIK.

Ha ha!
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Blake's 7. Seriously. Star Wars and Star Trek are both respectable 1980s movie franchises, bank holiday material like... Back to the Future, or Ghostbusters. But neither are anything worth getting frothing about.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

You're all full of crap, it's 'Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors' or get out of town!

I'm fond of both, although my Star Trek fondness is erratic, some films I really dig 'First Contact', 'Wrath of Khan' and 'The Voyage Home'. Certain episodes of 'DS9' and the theme tune of 'Voyager' which is very pleasant.

Likewise my fondness for 'Star Wars' doesn't stretch far beyond the original trilogy and segments of the prequels, although the original 'Clone Wars' cartoon was awesome, the non-CG job, can't bring myself to watch this new fangled CG stuff.

'Space Above and Beyond' anyone remember that? Flawed creature design aside (basically humanoids in really big helmets) it had pretty space ships.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I definitely enjoy the Trek shows and movies more than Star Wars, but find myself much more interested in the novels and comics of Star Wars than Trek.

I also prefer a good Star Trek video game over a Star Wars one though.

I don't know why.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Guh.

Parts of Star Trek make me want to weep, tbh. The acting hurt my eyeballs. But I grew up watching TNG and the original Trek, so I can stand it, and even know what's going on when. Just don't make me watch Voyager and everything will be peachy.

Star Wars is okay, but that was more the ex's thing. I liked the toys from the 90's. Will watch the odd movie if it's on TV and I don't have anything else to do.
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Wildrider wrote:'Space Above and Beyond' anyone remember that? Flawed creature design aside (basically humanoids in really big helmets) it had pretty space ships.
It's an awesome series, just recently watched it again.
SPOILER! (select to read)
They are humanoids because they actually came from earth, as revealed in the last episodes! DUN DUN DUN
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Star wars hands down for me. Speaking mainly of the original Trilogy here, although I do like some of the expanded fiction comics and consider KOTOR to be one of the best video games of all time. As a matter of a fact I think the storyline in KOTOR I & II far exceeds the prequel movies' scripts and acting.

Star Trek is just something I've never really gotten into all that much, it just doesn't have the same kind of action and excitement as Star Wars. I will admit to liking a few of the movies, and did watch most of Voyager, but outside that, I never could get into the original Trek series very much. Overall it seems too boring for me.

I love the original Star Wars Trilogy, and never turn down watching a film of it, if it happens to be on TV. I can live without the prequels though. The Clone Wars animated series was pretty enjoyable for me though, and the CGI show was far better than the prequel movies as well, at least what I've seen of it (all of season 1).
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Hmmmmm?

Have to go with Trek. Sure, you can watch the Star Wars flicks in one long session but as a sample of scifi SW is in the end just one story.

Trek, OTOH, is many stories with numerable ships ... some good, some very very bad (Spock's Brain anyone?) and with it a greater diversity of content and even subtext.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote:Blake's 7. Seriously. Star Wars and Star Trek are both respectable 1980s movie franchises, bank holiday material like... Back to the Future, or Ghostbusters. But neither are anything worth getting frothing about.
Stopping just briefly to point out that only four of the eleven Trek films were released in the 80's (though if we're only counting "proper" Star Wars films then that would be an 80's franchise mostly)...

Then I'd go for Star Trek. Mainly because it is more versatile than Star Wars is. All of the main Wars fiction is about rebelling against the Empire. Star Trek just has a mandate of :"Hey, lets go out there and see what we find", and that makes for a lot more interesting storytelling. It can do the big war stuff, or the character based stuff, or just taking an interesting SF idea and knocking it about for an hour (The Next Generation was espeically good at that, it gets props for doing a Groundhog Day episode before Groundhog Day).

Though the proviso is I'm only counting the four good versions of Star Trek- Original, TNG, Deep Space nice and the recent film. Voyager and Enterprise can go die alone in a corner.

EDIT: And just to be completely clear, City on the Edge of Forever is not just better than any Star Wars film, it's one of the best bits of drama ever made in any genre and media EVER, if you're not crying at the end you're dead.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

I would like to add in Star Trek's favor that the franchise never had a Christmas Special.

Even Spock's Brain wasn't nearly as bad as the Star Wars Christmas Special (which was so bad that Lucas won't try to make money from it ... again).
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

I voted Star Wars for the hell of it. Do like both of them though.
I also consider KOTOR to be one of the greatest things created ever.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I'm actually surprised by how even the split is.
I was tempted to put a "neither" or "equal" option but I hate giving people an easy out. Though I was gonna put an MLP option and I now regret not doing so . . .

For me, its Trek for a couple of reasons. For one, its a future with a sense of Science Fiction, and its much easier to imagine that being the real world some day. Star Wars feels more like a fantasy to me, albeit one that happens to have space ships. (which is basically what Lucas was going for, I guess . . .)

And as everyone else on this side has said, there is infinite variety in Star Trek. Every series (Enterprise can go stick its head in a hole, but I'm not too hateful of Voyager because it had Howling Mad Murdoch and the Borg) feels like a legitimate extension of the same universe. Whereas with Star Wars, for me it feels like 3 nice little films from the 80s, which I'll admit are masterpieces, and then a load of not-especially-relevent spin-off material.

But it does have lightsabres . . .
I like bears.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:neither are anything worth getting frothing about.
So say we all.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

inflatable dalek wrote:Stopping just briefly to point out that only four of the eleven Trek films were released in the 80's (though if we're only counting "proper" Star Wars films then that would be an 80's franchise mostly)...

Then I'd go for Star Trek. Mainly because it is more versatile than Star Wars is. All of the main Wars fiction is about rebelling against the Empire. Star Trek just has a mandate of :"Hey, lets go out there and see what we find", and that makes for a lot more interesting storytelling. It can do the big war stuff, or the character based stuff, or just taking an interesting SF idea and knocking it about for an hour (The Next Generation was espeically good at that, it gets props for doing a Groundhog Day episode before Groundhog Day).
But only 2 of the 6 Star Wars films were released in the 80's too.

Though the proviso is I'm only counting the four good versions of Star Trek- Original, TNG, Deep Space nice and the recent film. Voyager and Enterprise can go die alone in a corner.

EDIT: And just to be completely clear, City on the Edge of Forever is not just better than any Star Wars film, it's one of the best bits of drama ever made in any genre and media EVER, if you're not crying at the end you're dead.[/QUOTE]