Why do you think Megatron didn't kill Starscream?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
LigerZero
Protoform

Why do you think Megatron didn't kill Starscream?

Post by LigerZero »

I mean Starscream made it clear that he wanted to take over as Decepticon leader. He made several attempts to kill Megatron. Megatron seems like a fairly smart guy to know that it would be in his best interests go get rid of Starscream to eliminate that threat.

Then again we never see what happens behind the scenes. Maybe Starscream does something offscreen for Megatron to get him to keep from killing Starscream. I've got some idea what it might be, but its something that shouldn't be posted where children might see it. :p
THE WIND, THE CLOUD, AND THE ADVENTURE....

Check out my EBay Auction The Constructicons set of Knock Offs.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I think its a generally accepted fan theory that in the cartoon continuity megs and screamer were lovers. Well, maybe not lovers so much as...err, now that I couldn't post
The Green Knight

Post by The Green Knight »

What the hell are you guys talking about? First of all, I don't even think that's possible. Secondly, they clearly hate each other. Thirdly... that's kind of messed up.

The real reason Megs kept Starscream around is because Starscream can talk him out of anything, like a super used-car-salesmen. Here's what I feel is a typical day at Decepticon HQ:

"My plan succeeded! Megatron has been destroyed!! I am now the leader of the Decepticons!" - Starscream

"You fool! My incredible luck has allowed me to survive again, despite my stupidity! Now you will suffer the consequences!" -Megatron

"Oh, please don't kill me Megatron! I promise I'll never, ever try to destroy you again! I swear!"

"Uh... you better not!!!"

later that day...

"Ha-ha! As soon as I implement this new plan, I will dispose of Megatron and take my place as the rightful Decepticon commander!" - Starscream

"Starscream... what do you think you're doing?! You're going to kill me?! I'll have you melted down into beer can pull-tops!!!" - Megatron

"Oh... Megatron, I didn't notice you were standing there, otherwise I wouldn't have talked out loud about that..."

"I told you to stop trying to overthrow me! This time you will pay with your life!"

"Hey, don't kill me... uh, I didn't mean anything by it. And I'm really sorry."

"...Oh, alright..."

even later that day as Starscream finishes constructing his trap to destroy Megs

"Heh heh... soon it will be all over, and I'll finally get that big promotion that I so richly deserve!" -Starscream

"Starscream... are you still trying to kill me?!!!" - Megatron

"Uh... no..."

"I see. Carry on then."

It's a good thing Starscream stayed as a Decepticon, instead of becoming an infomercial pitch man. He probably would have conquered the world through financial exploitation...
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

i think he put up with him because starscream was basically one of meg's best warriors, afterall he had brains. think about it how many times would megs have been blown up if starscream hadnt of been there. he was a whinging cringing yet valuable member of the decepticon army
ThunderCracker84

Post by ThunderCracker84 »

Megatron = idiot
Defender
Protoform

Post by Defender »

My guess would be that Megatron really didn't have too much to be worried about Starscream overthrowing him. After all, if Starscream was a powerful and capable enough Decepticon to actually take over then he would have done so. It is kind of a survival of the fittest thing. The most powerful and cunning Decepticons rule the others. Starsream kept Megs on his toes which was good for everyone.
Starscream kind of reminds me of the leader Grinlock was trying to be in the Marvel series. Instead of working to improve their forces or destroy thier enemies, Starscream (in the movie) wasted everyone's time with a coronation, getting himself all dressed up etc while Grimlock was too busy trying to find out which crown looked best. This is not a great quality in a leader, Bot or Con.
Can you imagine what kind of poo the Autobots would have been in when Unicron was eating Cybertron and Hot Rod was getting fitted for his cape at the Gap and choosing his crown from a amail order catalogue?
"Matrix, Light our darkest hour- tell me what kind of polish I need for my codpiece"
Def
"I got better things to do tonight than die."
-Springer, Autobot City
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

yeah but in the end grimlock turned out to be a pretty good leader, i dont know which issue but near the end of the series after op was destroyed by unicron grimlock showed intelligence and true leadership qualities when he used stolen decepticon ships to go to Klo (or wotever it was)
adycarter
Protoform

Post by adycarter »

might be because he knew about all that crazy indestructable spark stuff, and just thought better to have him in one body than possesing all and sundry...
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Defender
"Matrix, Light our darkest hour- tell me what kind of polish I need for my codpiece"
Def
Yes, and the Matrix's answer was something to do with Arcee's . . . on second thought, I'm not gonna go there.

Yes, we're talking about Megs and Starscream, huh?

Anyway, Megatron never saw Starscream as a threat because he was always making Starscream his b****. Every time he did something wrong, Starscream would beg for mercy, adn Megs would grant it. It wasn't until the tables were turned, and Starscream chose to show Megatron no mercy, and chuck him out of Astrotrain, that he figured out Starscream wasn't worth his mercy.
Lemming
Protoform

Post by Lemming »

I know in some of the episode 2 Megatron was treating Starscream like a protege. He really didn't have anything to fear Starscream as Megatron has no known weaknesses, I think he was trying to make Starscream a better commander and succeed on one of his missions.
Starscreamer
Protoform

YEA

Post by Starscreamer »

Megatron never saw Starscream as a threat because he was always making Starscream his b****. Every time he did something wrong"

Yea---"Wait I still function..."

"wanna bet?"
------------------------------------
Now Megatron who is leader of the Decepticons?"

"You are"

"I cant hear you!?"

"YOU ARE!"
Computron

Re: YEA

Post by Computron »

Originally posted by Starscreamer

------------------------------------
Now Megatron who is leader of the Decepticons?"

"You are"

"I cant hear you!?"

"YOU ARE!"
"Here's a hint"

*BLAM*

Starscream turns to dust, Galvatron knew how to put screamer in his place

Oh and comic Megatron generally did treat Starscream with contempt, I mean in The Enemy Within he pretended to show lieniency het got ravage to blast Starscream to smitherines, admittedly he was a fool with the whole pretender thing but how was he to know Ratchet would double cross him and the whole G2 thing was silly 2, But seeing Screamer grovel in enemy within makes it all worth it - oh and even though it is skywarp seeing Galvatron blast him again is amusing as well in t2006

--Compy
I support a ban on powerposting
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

My guess would be that Megatron really didn't have too much to be worried about Starscream overthrowing him. After all, if Starscream was a powerful and capable enough Decepticon to actually take over then he would have done so. It is kind of a survival of the fittest thing. The most powerful and cunning Decepticons rule the others. Starsream kept Megs on his toes which was good for everyone.
Interesting theory but flawed. If it was a case of the most powerful ruling the Decepticons then surely one of the gestalts (Devastor, Menasor etc.) would have been in charge?
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
jazz007
Protoform

Post by jazz007 »

HI,
actually i feel that starscream and megatron form a good humorous team. without any one of them, there wun be much laughter in TF..
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Originally posted by jazz007
HI,
actually i feel that starscream and megatron form a good humorous team. without any one of them, there wun be much laughter in TF..
I take it you weren't a big fan of season 3 then...
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
jazz007
Protoform

Post by jazz007 »

Originally posted by Galvatron84
I take it you weren't a big fan of season 3 then...
True...cause i only watch till the movies for G1...
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Megatron knew what he's doing. He knew it's better to keep Starscream alive. Galvatron killed him and he had to deal with his ghost. If you were a Con leader wouldn't you prefer to have a weak Screamer as an enemy instead of powerful ghost?
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Originally posted by Galvatron84
Interesting theory but flawed. If it was a case of the most powerful ruling the Decepticons then surely one of the gestalts (Devastor, Menasor etc.) would have been in charge?
Watch Triple Takeover. In the end fight, WHO is left standing? Somehow, he knows a way to defeat his own gestalt... Might be some sort of "three button" thing like Starscream pulled...
The Green Knight

Post by The Green Knight »

Nobody, not even Starscream himself, seemed to know about his indestructible spark until after he was killed, so that theory on why Megs didn't scrap him doesn't hold up.
Lucifer
Protoform

Post by Lucifer »

Without trying to turn this into a "vs" topic, I think Megatron was more powerful than any of the pre-movie Decep gestalts. His strategy sucked, but he was pretty good at fighting. I think he led simply because he was the most powerful, even more so than Shockwave.

And who was going to replace Starscream if Megs destroyed him?
"'If you die,' you said, 'so do I,' you said, but it ends the day you understand, there is no forever, just this."