Sony have discontinued Betamax.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Brendocon 2.0

Sony have discontinued Betamax.

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

No, seriously.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34776424

In other news: nice to see Pete Doherty finally found himself a proper job.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Weird, "They stopped making Betamax" feels like a story that pops up every few years. I guess in prior cases it was specific factories/sub-contractors and misreporting? Or the equiverlent of that annoying "Today is Back to the Future Day!" thing people liked to do every few weeks for about a decade before actual Back to the Future day?

I wonder where they were actually selling them to up till now? TV Archives (like the BBC themselves) with material recorded in the format might have needed a source of new players I suppose. I guess they've transferred everything onto digital now completely removing the demand?

And we'll be looking middle of the century before the last VHS tape is made then?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

I just feel like people keep mixing up BetaCam and BetaMax.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

inflatable dalek wrote:Weird, "They stopped making Betamax" feels like a story that pops up every few years. I guess in prior cases it was specific factories/sub-contractors and misreporting? Or the equiverlent of that annoying "Today is Back to the Future Day!" thing people liked to do every few weeks for about a decade before actual Back to the Future day?

I wonder where they were actually selling them to up till now? TV Archives (like the BBC themselves) with material recorded in the format might have needed a source of new players I suppose. I guess they've transferred everything onto digital now completely removing the demand?

And we'll be looking middle of the century before the last VHS tape is made then?

I know that my Dad still uses an old VHS camcorder and VCR and still uses it and buys movies for it although he does have a huge DVD collection as well.

I know a store in Indianapolis that specializes mostly in horror/sci-fi/fantasy films (but not exclusively in those genres) and over 90% of what is sold that in store is VHS tapes and the store owner said that VHS, Betamax, and Laser Disc still has a huge following among certain people (mostly older people and hipsters) and movie buffs in some cases it might the only way to get a copy of a movie, or some laser discs have commentary tracks and special features that have not been released on DVD or Blu-Ray for any number of reasons. Some people just like the picture quality of VHS better than DVD/Blu-Ray.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.