A big thread about knockoffs

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Random find: RM knockoffs

Post by Denyer »

Seem to be a lot of RM KOs around... got these oversized ones earlier from a pound shop...

Image Image

They've got LEDs in their chests as a gimmick.

Plastic quality is, funnily enough, better than that on my RM Convoy...

Are these around in the US?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

OMG! What pound shop?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Nice find =)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Poundland. I've seen some of the jets and the towtruck before, but this is the first time a Convoy showed up, so figured I'd bite... no sign of Starscream (although the colours on that are more off than on others.)

Would expect other TF-familiar people to snaffle the recognisable figures as they show up, but if I'm in there and spot any more I'll pick 'em up.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Arse, I could do with a Starscream - the colours aren't great, but I'd probably repaint him as a toy-coloured Thundercracker, rather than the pansy pale-blue kids' show scheme Takara went with in their wisdom... Also, it'd be a cheap way to evaluate the mould (which I've heard very polarised things about - with Starscream, it's always difficult to pick out the opinions about how great the toy is from the ones who claim it's a great toy because the bastard's smirking or something) before I spaff £15 or something on RM Skywarp.

Mirage is the Bomb, though. Are they all oversized, or have the MW ones just been boosted to Convoy size? It's just a shame they've largely booted the ones I have ;)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

All oversized --

Which means the other two are larger in vehicle mode than Convoy.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

I had a look in my local Poundland today, they had the KO 'Starscream' in there, almost picked it up as a matter of curiosity, but an oversized Screamer wouldn't really go with ThunderCracker & Skywarp.

Cliffy, in all honesty, the RM versions of Skywarp & ThunderCracker are great little toys, okay- they're limited in poseability but the transformation's gorgeous & both look stunning in jet mode (F-15, whatever)
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

They had Cybertronian Skywarps in our teaco but that was a few weeks ago

They also had the Starscream in Poundland last time i was in there.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Im off to my local shopping centre tomorrow and there is a Poundland in it Ill report back on any findings.
I hope they have them as Ill be buying one of any I can lay my hands on.
Good find Denyer!!!
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Well I went in yesterday and....nothing i suppose these kind of places just get allocated different stuff in different areas but ill keep checking
Lusitania
Protoform

Post by Lusitania »

Hello Im new here :) I bought Thundercracker and skywarp RM from ebay some time ago but they came in different packageing and didnt have the decepticon logos on the wings, they also have the wrong colors, where the silver should be theres is black or purple,
So do you guys know if these Robot masters are real or not?:confused:
Note I had to add the decepticon logos myself
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Knock-offs.

This is what the real ones look like:

http://tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/jrm_s ... racker.php

Welcome to the board. :)
Clay

Post by Clay »

@Cliffy - I'm thinking Classics Starscream is probably the best value for the price, although there don't seem to be enough of them to go around at present time (Classics keeps sellling out over here - I only occassionally see an Astrotrain as evidence that they are indeed shipping).

The Robot Master mold is cute, but it's a Takara-only thing, so the price is upped a bit for the non-Japan market by default. If the Robot Master mold was available in the $7 range, I'd say go for it. It really can't compare with the Classics version, though, even if they were the same price.

The Masterpiece version is probably going to be the best that'll ever be produced, regardless of colors, because of the articulation and dumbfounding amount of attention paid to the physical details, but it's too pricey to be bought on whim.

So, yeah - all things considered, Classics is probably your best bet, based on cost-to-weight ratio. It has accurate colors and something the Robot Master mold doesn't: knees.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Aye. I'm still lamenting the fact that Classics Skywarp is a target exclusive and paired with Magnus. That's the figure I really want from the line.

BTW, that upsized Mirage (or however you speel the RM name. It looks like it should be pronounced Reggie, but I'm just gonna call him Mirage to cause a lot less confusion) is right sharp, he is.
Lusitania
Protoform

Post by Lusitania »

Originally posted by Denyer
Knock-offs.

This is what the real ones look like:

http://tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/jrm_s ... racker.php

Welcome to the board. :)

Thanks but i was going by the fact that there is no silver on these figures like in the pictures you showed, but i guess they just varie in color like most figures do.
Oh and sorry for the big picture i posted
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Well, Poundland in Merry Hill have completely cleared their stock -- didn't try the one in the highstreet though.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'll have to have alooksey in our Less Than A £! shop. Yes, we're to cheap for poundworld.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Well after several fruitless trips to my local shopping centre (checking Poundland every time) I managed to lay my hands on a couple of these.
I managed to get Draken (the white Jetfire-esque plane) and Starfighter (the camo jet)
Im well happy with them for a quid apiece-decent plastic, standalone weapons and pretty cool transformations.
Still really want Skyhawk (the Starscream-alike) and Formula (Mirage) so I hope they get more in(tho im not holding my breath)
Does anyone know of any other places selling these especially for a pound.
Or does anyone have a Skyhawk they dont want anymore hint hint!!!!
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

"Tow Truck" has a better paint job than any official release has ever given that mold.
Hang on to your ego.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Right. I have managed to find Skyhawk, Formula, Starfighter and Tractor Trailers. Here's a review:

The decorative schemes are all attractive enough, with some a bit more true to the original than others. Skyhawk is not quite Screamer (and those upswept wingtips are missing), while Starfighter has borrowed Cobra Megs camo suit. TBH, plastic quality is fair to middling OK, but there are so many tight joints on these things that I have snapped parts on both the Skyhawk and Starfighter; former within repair with superglue, and he may transform again; latter totally totalled when lowering cockpit a la Armada, since the joints had no give in them. Ironically, the Starfighter, IMO, looks the best in robot mode, which is a good job as he'll never transform again. Some minor damage to the socket joint on Formula's left leg, but the real problem with him is that one hand is blue and one grey (last in shop).

We're in the know and can pretty much transform these toys as per original specs, but I feel that a lot of young buyers won't have the first idea and will be disappointed at either failing to achieve the robot mode or, more likely, be left with snapped and possibly dangerous plastic. I mean, we know how to change classic Seekers (the plinking the arms up and over, swinging the canopy round and through), but it isn't obvious. Ditto the Armada transformation for Starfighter. The lift-up-and-open design on Formula is easy enough if you know how and where to lift and open.

If you've paid attention, that leaves the OP KO. He has a strange beard - so very G2 - and is a bit short in the beam with over chunky thighs, but he's not at all a bad design, although the paint job on the pelvic unit as per the picture is missing. I love the energon axe weapon - proving the knock-offers used anniversary Prime for one reference. He is easy to transform, although one of his arms popped off, but hey! no worse than on a real TF if manhandled.

As an bonus, they have tiny buttons to press and activate their flashlight, but the battery will probably prove impossible to replace. Pulling out the plastic tabs on the light does require the use of tweezers, since even my small digits couldn't get at them.

Overall, judging from what I have, they're a bit of a laugh for a quid each and I'd like to pick up the remaining four, most especially the Lockheed/Thrust. The weapons are pretty good, although Starfighter has a rather extraneous bomb I cannot fit to him anywhere (no funny comments, please!). And, once the guns are placed in the hands, they're hard to get out again. By-the-bye, Starfighter's energon trident kinda fits in Supreme Starscream's hand, it's that out of proportion to the KO toy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Originally posted by Clogs
I love the energon axe weapon - proving the knock-offers used anniversary Prime for one reference.

Actually, the Robot Masters mold that the KO's based on included the axe as well.

http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/jrm_convoy.php