[BW,BM] The Golden Disk

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
The Plant
Protoform

The Golden Disk

Post by The Plant »

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/goldenrec.html

Not only did the writers research their G1, but I didn't expect them to actually base a major portion of the plot on a real event!

I knew there actually was a Voyager spacecraft, but I had no idea that there was really a Golden Disk! Did any of you know this?

Slight inconsistancy though, the Voyager spacecraft was launched in 1977, a good 7 years before Megs woke up to be able to write anything on it. Nobody's perfect. I'm just happily suprised that they actually incorporated fact into the show.

Everyone, have a nice day. :)
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good...and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence.
Hound

Post by Hound »

If I remember correctly my Earth Science teacher in 8th grade was the one who taught us about the "golden disc" that was on board the Voyager spacecraft. That was....11 years ago :eek: damn now I feel old
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Simply fascinating.
The Green Knight

Post by The Green Knight »

Yeah, I knew that.

And here's some detailing of what is on the real disc

http://www.ee.fit.edu/users/lpinto/Scie ... ager.shtml
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

I wrote a fanfic detailing just when Megatron inscribed his message on the disk, which can be read here: http://cyberpulp.topcities.com/prose/tr ... nobody.htm

Basically, he intercepted it at a later date, so it doesn't matter when it was launched.
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

"Sounds of Earth" was the name of the Disc, iirc. If you actually look at the disc, you'll see it's an LP.

Anyway...

Wasn't the line "the Voyager shuttle was launched in 1984, just as the Transformers were beginning their war on Earth" or somesuch... ?
The Plant
Protoform

Post by The Plant »

Purple People Eater: "The Golden Disc was launched from Earth aboard the Voyager spacecraft just as the secret war between the Autobots and Decepticons began. The original Megatron, your commander, had every intention of winning, but like myself he covered his bets. He inscribed a secret message into the golden disc. A message I, myself, discovered and decoded."

So sayeth the Purple People Eater.
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good...and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence.