Transformers Beast Wars: The Gathering TPB
The Transformers: Infiltration Cover Gallery
Till All Are Drunk with the Matrix!
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Re: IDW August Solicitations are Now Up

Post by MeGrimlock »

The Transformers: Stormbringer #2

“weapon of mass destruction” known as THUNDERWING, while OPTIMUS PRIME—the memory of the insane, tormented Decepticon scientist’s last near-apocalyptic rampage still uppermost in his anguished memory—unleashes his own last resort solution—the WRECKERS!

Sounds like a remake of Flame's saga in UK comics.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Very nice image for Stormbringer -- War Within designs without the Pat Lee influence! :)

Bloody shame Hasbro decided to make a Titanium of the earlier version Prime...
Infiltration Cover Gallery
Sweet. Will get. And maybe people will quit whining about variant covers now -- if IDW were trying to persuade everyone to buy tons of multiples, they wouldn't be doing this.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Must say Stormbringer's really got my juices flowing, if its bad by golly will this be the biggest let down in Transformers history.

Ah good to se Furman still got his head stuck up his own pasts arse. Frankly I wouldn't have it any other way. I really hope the "Wreckers" aren't going to be lead by Magnus. Roadbuster has been hankering that position for some time.

Oh look there’s Ratchet...hip hip hurray. Hmm it Really looks like there's two Prowls in that pic

When they say Thunderwing is a weapon of mass destruction I hope that is in part referring to his pretender shell and that we'll get some back story on pretenders rather then just being swept under the rug.
Originally posted by MeGrimlock
Sounds like a remake of Flame's saga in UK comics.

Yes that damn Auotbot scientist Thunderwing is at it again.
-Alex???
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Originally posted by Denyer
Sweet. Will get. And maybe people will quit whining about variant covers now -- if IDW were trying to persuade everyone to buy tons of multiples, they wouldn't be doing this.

Then what becomes of Chris Rydall's point of doing multiple covers to help boost sales.
If people know that IDW will repackage their alternate covers what is essentionally a glorified pin up book, wouldn't they would stop buying all the covers and wait for the pin-up book?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cyberstrike nTo
Then what becomes the point of doing multiple covers if they just release them in what is essentionally a pin up book?
People buy the covers the covers they want. How sodding hard a concept is that to understand? I bought Raiz and Su covers, personally, and am happier with the books because I got bits of art I particularly wanted. Others particularly like Guido or Wildman art. Happier customers = more customer loyalty.

The retailer incentive covers are for hardcore collectors interested in rarity value. Only a few hundred actually get printed, so it doesn't matter if the art is available on the internet (which it is) or in a cover collection.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

People buy the covers the covers they want. How sodding hard a concept is that to understand?

I don't choose the cover that I want the store chooses it and because of my choatic finanal situation I'm in it usally 2-4 months before I can get to store.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I don't choose the cover that I want the store chooses it and because of my choatic finanal situation I'm in it usally 2-4 months before I can get to store.
Right, and that's a specific set of personal circumstances.

It gives people a little extra incentive to pop down to their comic store whilst there's still likely to be a choice. Alternatively, there are quite a lot of good suppliers who'll sell you or put aside the cover you ask for.
what becomes of Chris Rydall's point of doing multiple covers to help boost sales.
You could try going back and reading what he said. Admittedly, you don't seem to have understood any of it so far, but it might help.

Raising awareness. Goodwill towards artists. Getting retailers to order the books in the first place. Something for collectors. Choice for everyone else.
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Originally posted by Aardvark:
Yes that damn Auotbot scientist Thunderwing is at it again.

Sorry, I didn't mean that TWing is not an Autobot or that the story is exactly the same, but replace his name with Flame and you'll notice the same elements: a tormented scientist that caused a disaster many yeas ago, and now it's up to the Wreckers to stop him.
I just meant to point out this resemblance.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I was only joking mate
-Alex???
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I just wish that if he was doing a remix album, he'd mark it clearly on the cover.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Mind, Titan could have cashed in, Leo Sayer-style - "Contains the original version of Worlds Collide!"
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Post by Ford DeceptiFocus »

And maybe people will quit whining about variant covers now -- if IDW were trying to persuade everyone to buy tons of multiples, they wouldn't be doing this.

Looks to be a bargain as well. Only $5.99. What's interesting to me about that price point is that it's low enough that casual collectors wouldn't think much of picking it up to have all of the covers in their collection AND more invested collectors that already have all of the covers might just pick it up because it would complete their collection and not be a huge drain on their wallets.

Really, it's a win-win situation for IDW. Very smart. If we've learned anything from the relatively "large" numbers for Generations, it is that there are quite a few completists out there. And I think it's safe to say that they will pick this relatively low-priced item up as well.

But Denyer, I think people LIKE whining about variant covers, so I don't think this will solve anything. haha. Probably add fuel to the fire, as this could be viewed as one more "variant" LOL.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I do think it's amusing that there's a retailer incentive related to the covers book... although I'd guess it's a print or a sketch. Stores are often less keen to pick up art-only books, so throwing in something they can also sell won't hurt.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Then what becomes of Chris Rydall's point of doing multiple covers to help boost sales.
If people know that IDW will repackage their alternate covers what is essentionally a glorified pin up book, wouldn't they would stop buying all the covers and wait for the pin-up book?

Well for me, I'd rather put the comics in protective sheets and put in storage, so that someday I can give them to my nephews (or if I ever have a son of my own) & keep the TPB and items like TPB's out for every day reading/viewing. I plan on buying the "pin-up" book. :) I wonder who the centerfold is going to be? Arcee as Miss August? lol.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Very nice image for Stormbringer -- War Within designs without the Pat Lee influence! :)

I guess this means I need to get the War Within trades before I read Stormbringer.

On a side bar, how much of the main Transformers story do you all think is thought out in advance? 6 months? 1 year? Do you think we are getting Stormbringer as a response to complaints about the main story, in order to give IDW time to tweak it before the 2nd story arc?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
I guess this means I need to get the War Within trades before I read Stormbringer.

I don't think it'll add anything to do so -- you'll just lose the novelty of the designs that we got first time around when we followed War Within. Plus, on top of WW -- like DW's entire continuity -- ending up not going anywhere, volume one's quite poorly paced in the second half, nothing actually happens in volume two, and volume three is currently in unfinished limbo (with little in the first three issues to suggest an amazing ending with much closure for the miniseries. Although TWW was originally* posited as a trilogy of miniseries, I don't see how much could have been wrapped up.)

*When the sales figures for TWWv1 started coming in.
Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
how much of the main Transformers story do you all think is thought out in advance? 6 months? 1 year? Do you think we are getting Stormbringer as a response to complaints about the main story
It's been suggested Furman is very good with deadlines -- printing requires books to be done a couple of months beforehand, and add a bit to that. Script for #6 was probably ready by around the time #2 came out, with a rough plot for the first full arc and some sketches shown before the company got the license.

I think we're getting the advertising for Stormbringer in response to criticism, but a first Cybertron story (either in the main book or separate) and the state of affairs off-Earth would probably have been around as ideas since the pitch. Hasbro's new Titanium Megatron is closer to the new Don/Su design than to the War Within one, for instance, and toy production isn't a particularly fast-moving business.

There's room for tweaking right up until things go to print, but final art and colours necessarily are one of the later stages. This isn't a Stan Lee "Marvel script" type production.

(NB: above based on vague recollection of HowToWriteComics books.)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Nah, must have been in the pipeline before that... I'd guess it was outlined for about two years or more, but roughly, so there could be considerable tweaking done and that sort of thing. I do think some feedback will be taken into account for Escalation, but doubt that's why we're having Stormthingummer. Rough arcs will have been planned out for some time, but probably not in much detail - I'd say beyond Escalation not even in issue breakdowns.

Furman's actually probably both up himself enough, and obsessive enough, to ahve the thing outlined for five years, actually.

I also doubt IDW are that fussed about complaints about the main story.... more people are happy than not, and most complaining are still buying. I think a change of pace & style was always planned for the next two arcs.

I don't see why you'd need to buy TFWW first, btw - the plots won't link up or anything. Of course, if you mean from a personal PoV you'd rather read TFWW first that's different :)
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

I think we're getting the advertising for Stormbringer in response to criticism, but a first Cybertron story (either in the main book or separate) and the state of affairs off-Earth would probably have been around as ideas since the pitch. \

That is such a great point. I reviewed the advertisements after reading your post and couldn't agree more! I'll post more regarding my thoughts on this, but I'm getting the "quit posting and get ready for the party we're late for" speech at the moment. *grin*