Yamato VF-11B, just a display piece...(review)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Pun-3X

Yamato VF-11B, just a display piece...(review)

Post by Pun-3X »

While this is a "transforming toy" it isn't transformers, and does relate to Anime. So I'll post this review here.

I got this item some time ago, and I discovered that most all my complaints about the toy are common among the others of the same type.

My first impression of the toy when I saw it in the box, I liked the robot mode. The flat-gray tone to the robot with the black/orange highlight stripes gave it a lot of flare, and the canards that help make the chest were an added touch. I couldn't wait to transform him.

First, I tried out the robot mode. The rifle fits into a separate hand piece that replaces the right hand of the toy (the fists are kinda small on this guy) The back of the fuselage of the jet mode is separate, and becomes to toy's shield. Movement is pretty good in regards to limbs and such--my only complaints are the arms are kinda puny, and the waist doesn't turn (I got Yamato's retooled VF-1J first) The overall for the robot mode: B

The gerwalk mode works as a basic Gerwalk mode. I was never into this mode type myself, but I did try it out. It seems proportionate enough, everything seems to stay in place. Rating: B+

Now the jet mode, and the mode with all the problems. Everything looks sleek, and would probably look even better, if parts weren't forced at odd angles. The arms when joined together in the back are forced up and to the right a bit. There is a peg hole and slot that are meant to fit the shield on to complete the fuselage. I found out after a bit, the peg and the hole don't seem to fit right at all. The shield won't snap into place no matter what I do and remains loose. The peg hole and slot for the robot mode is on the other side of the arm--and those work just fine. Howver, rotating the arm simply displaces the shield/rear fuselage with the rest of the plane. So the second set of peg hole'and'slot is the only choice, and you can't make the shielf stay.

But even if it could, the hole back section would be forced upward. If I dislodge the arms from each other and leave them loose, the shoulder-panels that make up part of the ship's center are misplaced. The shield doesn't fit right here, either (even if it could be secured.)

On top of that, parts don't seem to secure themselves at all. The legs are just that milimeter loose, and can dislodge from the little hooks on the back of the wings they connect to.

I can only imagine what it's supposed to look like in its proper completed jet mode, since I can't get anything to sit right. If I hold things in place with a certain amount of fingers, I get the best illusion of a fully transformed jet. The jetmode itself is a great design, and I would normally give this a rating: A- (wings seem a little small)

In regards to the toy's rendering of this jetmode: C-

To conclude, this guy's best asset is his robot mode. If you collect these guys, it might be best to keep him displayed either in the box, or in this mode. He's still a lot of fun as a robot, but things get taken away from him when you know he has a jet mode you can't really transform him to.
Jim

Post by Jim »

How much did you pay for the VF-11B?
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

The toy itself was about $45, plus $10 shipping. I've seen them on Ebay for $59-$70 or so, I don't know if they've gone for cheaper.