Biggest missed opportunity?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cliffjumper

Biggest missed opportunity?

Post by Cliffjumper »

Reading through the TF Universe profiles, there's a lot of great characters in there, isn't there? I think it's fair to say no-one got the time they really deserved in most G1 media, aside from a very select few. Who do you really think would have been interesting to properly explore? Who would have really contributed to a storyline that got made, but was never given the chance?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Windcharger.

Not that I blame the writers for not using him. I blame whoever decided to approve the tech spec that essentially classed him as God.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

It would have been cool if they had expanded on the monstercons.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

rattrap23 wrote:It would have been cool if they had expanded on the monstercons.
I dunno... Skullgrin certainly got his moment in the sun.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Halfshell wrote:Windcharger.

Not that I blame the writers for not using him. I blame whoever decided to approve the tech spec that essentially classed him as God.
Hell yeh. I've always seen his sidelining as a desperate move from writers so the various comics and cartoons would last for more than a week... Also always loved the downgrade his ersatz successor Tailgate got - Windy can kill basically anyone and everyone, with Vader-esque hand motions if he prefers; Tailgate can use his magnetic powers to, erm... save petrol. Providing the car in front of him's going to the same place he wants to. Poor bugger...
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

Trailbreaker liked to see more of his character instead of having him in the eipsode due to his powers.

Snarl and the other dinobots. I know that we learned that Sludge was dume, Slag was basicly pissed off all the time. Am I wrong in thinking that Swoop and Big Grim had the most character shwon in the series.

On the Cons, the only one I would like to see having more character would be Thundercaracker.
Chris McFeely
Protoform

Post by Chris McFeely »

PUNCH!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

While I do think Punch is pretty interesting, I'd say he's ideally suited
to more of a modern Spotlight... I dunno, it'd take a very, very good writer to do him without the massive, massive flaws in the idea being obvious. David Wise wasn't that man... It would be really interesting to get inside his head, though - find out just how far he'd be willing to go to keep his cover intact, and to what extent Counterpunch actually develops his own personality.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Hauler. We only saw him once in the cartoon and that was it.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Civ

Post by Civ »

I have to agree about Trailbreaker. I think it would have been interesting to explore how he got his inferiority complex -- assuming it came about due to past failures attributed to his fuel inefficiency. It would have been a great opportunity to see snippets of history during the early parts of the war as he viewed him looking back upon his failures. Possibly see what the Autobots were like before all the fighting began. Interactions with Bluestreak, Mirage, or someone else.

I'll also agree with what was said about Windcharger.

Thundercracker is a really good one since he's the bot who's unsure of Megatron's plans. Would have been nice to see his internal conflicts.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Hound would have been a good one too. To see what it was like to be a Transformer through his eyes and how he came to the feeling that he wishes he was human, would have been interesting.

More Skids would also have been awesome. Too bad he got stuck in that other dimension for nigh eternity.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Sixshot.I know he has lots of appearances in the comics, but I think he needs a little more love in the cartoons
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Lets think

The Monsterbots lots of good potential there.

Searchlight

Buzzsaw as a sort of Decepticon Hannibal Lector eviscerating some one for using the wrong fork.

Vroom

A proper look at some of the motivations of the Nebulans

Spotlight Caliburst who I have a mental image of being a sort of Brian Blessed type but evil.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I would like to have seen a story about Krok playing Soccer.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Halfshell wrote:I dunno... Skullgrin certainly got his moment in the sun.
Did I say monstercons, I meant monsterbots.

They shot sparks out of their mouth.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

A lot of combiner members got some pretty good bios, but being combiner members, never got to be fleshed out since they're joined with their teammates at the hip.

I always wanted to see Breakdown get some sort of spotlight. The dude is batshit crazy and thinks inanimate objects are out to get him. I'd like a story that follows him around for a day so we can see him freak-out at everything.

Tentakil always seemed kind of interesting, a Decepticon that likes to make friends with Autobots just so he can kill them when the time comes. There's potential for at least one good story in there.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4010

Check this out then this is a mosaic which is basically a day in the life of Breakdown.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

optimusskids wrote:http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4010

Check this out then this is a mosaic which is basically a day in the life of Breakdown.
I'd kinda written off Mosaics but that one was pretty great.

Thanks!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

DrSpengler wrote:A lot of combiner members got some pretty good bios, but being combiner members, never got to be fleshed out since they're joined with their teammates at the hip.
I concur, which I guess would be my contribution to this thread.
Streetwise and Groove, for example, in my eyes have potential, especially the former. I could easily picture Streetwise off on some wacky mystery adventure. Really, most of the Protectobots would work quite well outside of their team. Though Hotspot was a touch generic (as if their weren't enough Ultra Magnus, etc, wannabes in the Autobot ranks), the other four were such a diverse, and sort of conflicting, range of characters, it's odd that they were bound to the Protectobot team. Though Blades did get his chance to shine briefly in the first issue of the G2 series, and had his moment in a G.I Joe/TF crossover in the UK. The similar could be said for Skydive (not a Protectobot, of course, but a neat character).

Aside from his character obviously being a parody, I've wondered what Nautilator's story was, or how he got stuck with the Seacons to begin with. Would make for a comical story, I think.

Slog's neat. I like Slog. The contemplative artist type. It's a shame his role in the IDW-verse is bound to his teammates, and we'll probably never see this side of him ever explored, let alone the character period :(.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Civ wrote:Thundercracker is a really good one since he's the bot who's unsure of Megatron's plans. Would have been nice to see his internal conflicts.
hmm. For years I thought of him as 'that dude who looks like skywarp but doesn't do anything'... As far as I can recall the seekers were generally there as space-filler behind Starwhine and rarely had any input, they were just bad-ass planes. Given the screen/panel time they had, They all deserve deeper investigation, but then I guess I don't read enough fanfic.

Sticking to G1, I want more Pipes. Although I haven't got any ideas as how to make a decent story with the guy... neh, it would be like that awful 'skids gets horny' story wouldn't it?.. Still, he looks the business.

Ah, and Metroplex, even if it's just a silent bob tribute :)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Mo Zarek died before I had chance to properly extract the humerous possibilities from him being called Mo.