The Dark Knight Discussion

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Kenori

The Dark Knight Discussion

Post by Kenori »

Wow, suprised no one has made one of these yet.

So what do you guys think of the new Joker, or of Harvey Dent. What are your expectations of the movie. Discuss!!
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Well (not having seen DK yet) Harvey gives us an idea of what might be the villain for the next movie.

I'm hoping that they tap into Ra's again in a future movie. The whole deal with his being practically immortal is that he's the one villain in Batman's rogues' gallery whom Batman can't completely shut down. The others will eventually get old and die, while Ra's has the potential to still be around to scheme for centuries after Bruce is gone. Even destroying his body was not enough to stop his return. Now that's a threat.
Kenori

Post by Kenori »

I thought he wasnt a "villian" per se, but a crimefighter like batman, but aking it to its most extreme sense. Anway, it looks cool regardless.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Kenori wrote:Wow, suprised no one has made one of these yet.
Maybe because the movie isn't out yet.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Anyone else not feeling the vibe on Dark Knight yet? Might just be because I'm busy -- I did love Batman Begins...
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Eldest Scraplet (11) is demanding to see this movie, having spotted some of the stills and declared The Joker appropriately 'realistic' and thus 'scary'. He is expecting it to rate at least 12A in the UK, sighed dramatically and asked for the DVD 'when it comes out'.

We shall see...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Kenori wrote:I thought he wasnt a "villian" per se, but a crimefighter like batman, but aking it to its most extreme sense. Anway, it looks cool regardless.
I view Ra's as a villain mainly because (while his motivation might be noble) his methods are nothing less than mass murder and terrorist tactics, and that crosses the moral line clearly into villain territory imo.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Denyer wrote:Anyone else not feeling the vibe on Dark Knight yet? Might just be because I'm busy -- I did love Batman Begins...
Aren't you suspose to move this to animation/comics forum? Or are you finally agreeing with me?
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Thanks to this movie, I now know how to make a pencil disappear.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Great movie, they wrote the Joker perfectly, and even though it was long, I didn't see a lot of fat to be trimmed.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

The only reason this movie felt long for me was because I went to the midnight showing. Beyond that, what a great film. All the hype surrounding Heath Ledger's performance was deserved, he played the character wonderfully.

He played the character in such a way that with every thing he did, no matter how sadistic and twisted, you still couldn't help but laugh.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Jetfire wrote:Aren't you suspose to
'Supposed to' and 'being arsed/awake' are different things.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Damn, this movie was thoroughly enjoyable. Heath Ledger just disappeared in that role, it was done so well. The story elements were well put together--I found myself 'predicting' certain outcomes only to have the movie go some other direction entirely. There was just the right amount of stuff jammed in there where it didn't get boring at certain points, but was never overwhelming.

There were a couple of older kids behind us that just got the greatest kick out of all the good scenes, without being any kind of loud/obnoxious type you might normally find...which made it all the more enjoyable. (Made the bigrig sequence all the better, even though I'd seen it in previews)

I was very happy with this movie. I've been reading elsewhere people saying this is the best Batman sequel, and I say it's the best Batman movie, period. I'm sure that a lot of people are going to see this because it's likely Ledger's final movie. But this one has its own staying power throughout. Absolutely loved it.

*sigh* Why couldn't Transformers' story format have been more like this...
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

their shouldnt even be a thread on this. The first post should be "this movie was ****ing awesome". and then the thread should have been locked and stickied.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Jetfire426
Protoform

Post by Jetfire426 »

the movie was great.. it made me feel really bad that Ledger is now gone..he played that role to the T...fantastic movie...
One shall stand, One shall fall...
Vincent
Protoform

Post by Vincent »

There's alot of love for Heath in this thread, and it's well deserved but let's not look over the actor who played Harvey Dent (whatever his name is :lol:)

Seriously, the characters weren't cliche and empty. They were deep and convincing. I just liked the guy's performance and he knew what to do and how to do it (funny how I only saw this guy in one movie before; Nurse Betty).
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Well, there's still what Ledger finished of his part in that Terry Gilliam movie coming out, which is something else to look forward to seeing him in.

Sadly, forgot to preorder tickets, and the theaters nearby were/are suffering a mild case of sold-out-for-three-entire-f***ing-days. I'm is sad. :(
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Vincent wrote:There's alot of love for Heath in this thread, and it's well deserved but let's not look over the actor who played Harvey Dent (whatever his name is :lol:)
Aaron Eckhart
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Kenori

Post by Kenori »

Posted this in my favorite forum:

Went and saw it Sunday night. Heres a review. I'll put the whole thing in spoiler tags, because spoilers WILL be prevailent.
SPOILER! (select to read)
So I was extremely psyched about this movie going in to see it. I had a friend who had already seen it and he got me pumped. Was it good? Did it live up to the hype? Oh yes my friends. Yes it did.

So lets start with Batman. Christian Bale, as Batman, really doesnt do a lot for me. Sure he has the moves, but the voice just doesnt work. It sounds like he needs a Ricola. What really draws me to Christian Bale, what makes me think he'd be able to do this role until the day he dies, is his Bruce Wayne. I LOOOOVE his Bruce Wayne. He is stellar as the man behind the mask. He brings so much emotion to the role. I also love how he plays the dumb playboy, jumping his lamborgini to save Gordon, then pretending he had gotten runover, even asking to go to a hospital after the Joker had threatened all the hospitals. Honestly it was a beautiful performance. Of course there really isnt a lot much more that I can say about CB/BW that wasnt said about him in the first movie. He just brings it as good as Batman Begins.

So lets move on to Harvey Dent. Most of the movie (a little more than half) sees Harvey Dent as a normal guy. I love how he already has the coin before being burned. And he uses it. But there is a twist. Both sides are heads, and as he says, he makes his own luck. It is a sharp contrast to the Two-Face he becomes later in the story, but it WORKS. Aaron Eckhart was chosen as Harvey Dent for a reason. He reminds me a lot of what Sam Raimi did to Doc Ock and Sandman. He took a normal thug and transformed him into an emotional character. Yes I knew about Harvey Dent's past before seeing the movie, but Aaron brings so much depth to the character. He is so hurt and in so much pain, and the Joker is really the one to lead him down the violent path. His transformation from Dent to Two-Face is sad and tragic and sorrowful. I can never imagine what it is like to listen to your fiance die. To tell her it will be alright, but to know you have no control over it. In all honesty, if something like that happened to me, I would probably be just like him.

And speaking of his fiance, lets talk about Rachel Dawes/Maggie Gillenhall (I might have spelled that right.) While I didnt really like her that much, I think she plays the role of Rachel just about how she should have. She didnt do to bad when she was onscreen, and her death was crucial to the story. All in all a fine job.

Now, after all this, we get to the one man who makes this movie. Heath Ledger as the Joker... I honestly have no words for this man's performance. Really the only thing I can say about Heath Ledger's Joker is that they GOT him. Finally someone and hollywood GOT the Joker. It was SPOT on. Everything about his performance, from the "Magic Trick" at the very beginning, to the last fight with Batman, is just spot on joker. EVERYTHING about him, from the way he walks, the way he smiles, the way his eyes shift around, even his Andy Dick-ish voice, was PERFECT. This man gave his LIFE for this role, and it shows so well. I actually cried at the end. I cried my eyes out that something so sad could happen to such a brillian actor. His performance ran the gamut of emotions, from funny (walking out of Gotham General in a nurses outfit, pushes a detonator and causes a number of explosions to go off. He looks down at the detonator, back up at the building, back down at the detonator, pushes it a few more times, shakes it, and the whole building erupts in a fireball. I havent laughed so hard during a serious movie ever) to sadistic and horrifying (the tapes he leaves for the police had me gasping for air). There is nothing missing from his performance. I find myself licking my lips. And it creeps me out because of the way the Joker keeps doing it. He is, as he says it himself, an "Agent of Anarchy" and dear god is it true. It really comes home when Batman is interrogating him in the police room, and the Joker tells him that he has Harvey and Rachel. Batman is beating the crap out of him and threatening him and Joker just laughs. And he says "You have NOTHING to threaten me with!" in that disturbing voice. And you know he's right. There will always be a stalemate between Batman and the Joker, because Batman can't kill, and the Joker can't live without Batman.

And rounding out the cast are some very good grade A talent, from Gary Oldman as Commissioner Jim Gordon, to an awesome cameo from "Tiny" Tom Lister, Jr. as an inmate with a soul. It was a great brilliant ride.

All in all I will say, though some of the performances were lacking (Maggie), it in no way detracts from the movie at all, and Heath Ledger just brings everyone else's performances up.

So what do I say about this movie? It was good. No it wasnt. It wasnt great. It wasnt awesome. It wasnt even Brilliant. It was, simply, perfect. Perfect in every way.

Thank you Heath Ledger. Thank you for doing what you do best.

Damnit I'm getting all misty eyed again.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Movie is full of win and awesome.