Roberto Orci: "No mass shifting in first movie"

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Roboert Orci: "No mass shifting in first movie"

Post by Nevermore »

http://www.d13satellite.com/donmurphy/s ... eadid=8336
There will be no mass shifting in the first movie.
Thanks to Master Fwiffo for spreading the news.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Though that could just mean they're going for Dreamwave's "they spread their armour plating out real thin and then scrunch it up real tight..." explanation.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
The GHX

Post by The GHX »

AAAARGH!!!

as usually, Orci missed to explain why the mass of the robot form appear much bigger than tha vehicle form - since they are not using ALT transformation scheme - mind of the legs.
and DW explaination doesn't work - mind carefully of the legs.

More, no mass shifting means no Soundwave, cassettes etc in their old alt mode (upgraded) ....
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by The GHX
More, no mass shifting means no Soundwave, cassettes etc in their old alt mode (upgraded) ....

But we allready know Soundwave is going to be an enourmos chopper anyway.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
The GHX

Post by The GHX »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
But we allready know Soundwave is going to be an enourmos chopper anyway.

chopper is what? the real question is: in G1 cars (correct me on this if you want) the legs fold in half to became the back part of the car - now this result in some emty space (rear window - space for a trolley) to transform from enpty space (real car) into a blocky leg - without mass shifting ..... ?
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

chopper is what? the real question is: in G1 cars (correct me on this if you want) the legs fold in half to became the back part of the car - now this result in some emty space (rear window - space for a trolley) to transform from enpty space (real car) into a blocky leg - without mass shifting ..... ?

Subspace...
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Still amazes me that people accept transforming living robots but won't accept mass shifting. They are products of millions year old alien civilisation they r'e bound to be a few things we cant understand.

Everyone seems to except that some stunning actress in glasses and dungarees is ugly until made over for a bet or something , if they can get away with that mass shifting should be no problem.
The GHX

Post by The GHX »

Originally posted by Wildrider
Subspace...

If they do not accept mas shifting, why you think that subspace will be in the movie?
case 1 - subspace is ok - so why not mass shifting? they have about the same eplaination: an alien, highly advanced technology
case 2 - subspace is not ok - now you have to explain the transformation process ... good work
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

Well, Soundwave is a chopper, Megs is a tank and the cassets will probebly have a diffrent role(not as cassetes of course). So what's the point in mass shifting anyway?
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!
T.V.
Protoform

Post by T.V. »

The new CGI designs will probably more intricate with pistons moving in and out, extending and retracting limbs.
With that in mind, the TFs aren't likely to look as bulky/puffy as they did in the toon and DW comics.
Pretty much like the Alternators (mind the legs :p), I guess.
There may be some cheating to get enough robot kibble by filling the cabins, but that isn't neccesarely needed.
Solid blocks without interior space, as per the G1 toys are a no go IMO.

The big question is how they'll deal with scaling.

A Freightliner Argosy or Peterbilt 362E COE based G1-esque Optimus will probably stand around 28 - 30 ft.
Megatron (based on a M1A2 Abrams MBT) will probably be around 32 ft. , so those two pretty much correlate sizewise.
However, the carbots will probably be around 14 - 18 ft., depending on the size of the car and the transformation design.
That still ok IMO and gives some unique possibilities regarding asymetric combat.

Starscream will be the most problematic case, since both the F-15 and F-22 meassure over 63 ft. in length.
A G1, Valkyrie, Armada, or Energon based transformation will lead to a robot size of about 55 - 65 ft...

One of the few current supersonic military planes that allows for a smaller (32 - 35 ft.) and thus more fitting robot size, is the US Navy and Marine Corps operated F-5E/N.
Ah...forget it!
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Originally posted by dedicon
Well, Soundwave is a chopper, Megs is a tank and the cassets will probebly have a diffrent role(not as cassetes of course). So what's the point in mass shifting anyway?
Um...Maybe I'm just going out on a limb here but...if Soundwave is a helicopter, wouldn't it make sense that the tapes will be the blades? I think it'd be easy to make Buzzsaw and Laserbeak...Frenzy, Rumble, and Ravage might be a bit more complicated though....
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, that'd make perfect sense, because if, say, Buzzsaw was killed, due to being able to turn into a 10ft-high, 6-inch wide robot, Soundwave wouldn't be able to transform...

There is absolutely no reason why Laserbeak, Ravage or anyone else need to be accessories for Soundwave. Even the cartoon didn't portray them as limply as some ideas are.
ravimus prime
Protoform

Post by ravimus prime »

Why is everyone saying Soundwave is going to be a chopper, did I miss out on something?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by ravimus prime
Why is everyone saying Soundwave is going to be a chopper, did I miss out on something?

Yes.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by ravimus prime

It was decided quite a while ago that Soundwave was not going to be a cassette player, as that's not the best disguise post-1992.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Starscream's height is largely mitigated by the fact that the entire nose assembly folds down, cutting the length of the jet into half when figuring height. Assuming that they're using a transform similar to G1.

Still, while the 'mass shunting' thing doesn't bug me that much, I have to wonder.. is there really ANYTHING about this movie that really is Transformers in theme, other than some dropped names and the basic idea of Transforming robots?
T.V.
Protoform

Post by T.V. »

Originally posted by TFVanguard
Starscream's height is largely mitigated by the fact that the entire nose assembly folds down, cutting the length of the jet into half when figuring height. Assuming that they're using a transform similar to G1.
Considering the F-15 and the F-22, that only cuts off 1/3 of the length, at best.
Coupled with the extensions of the aft fuselage for the feet, knees, hips and waist, that cut in length will almost be negated in some cases.
Still, while the 'mass shunting' thing doesn't bug me that much, I have to wonder.. is there really ANYTHING about this movie that really is Transformers in theme, other than some dropped names and the basic idea of Transforming robots?
The fact that it will deal with Robots In Disguise, have the unnamed "Matrix" as a plot device, will feature Spike (Witwicky) and that the writers have written the script with the old voices in mind, does seem to point in that direction.
Ah...forget it!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, as we've all got the special edition DVD, have read the spin-off comic series and novelisation, own the BFI Classic companion and have seen it multiple times, I'm sure we can analyse that logically.

We know pretty much ****-all about this, beyond that some character names will be retained, and it'll have transforming robots. For ****'s sake, had the internet fandom been so obsessively news-driven in 1995, I expect (bar the slight detail given in the title), you could say the same about the planned Beast Wars.
ravimus prime
Protoform

Post by ravimus prime »

No I just thought it might have been announced that soundwave is going to be a chopper since everyone was saying it like it was definite... suppose I was wrong.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Considering the F-15 and the F-22, that only cuts off 1/3 of the length, at best.
Coupled with the extensions of the aft fuselage for the feet, knees, hips and waist, that cut in length will almost be negated in some cases.
The legs on the original Starscream transformation don't extend, actually. I'm just saying that it's more doable than most people realize, but I admit than an F-15 is a HUGE fighter, one of the biggest out there. F-22 is significantly smaller, and more likely to be used these days anyway.