Does anyone here actually keep their TF's in the package?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Vin Ghostal

Does anyone here actually keep their TF's in the package?

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Do you open your Transformers and actually check 'em out? Or do you display 'em in the packaging?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Can't see the point of buying a transformable toy and only ever using it in one configuration. I don't reach things down off the shelf that often, but things tend to be packaged in alt-mode and I'm much more interested in robots with identifiable bits of alt-mode attached.
Bludgeon-X
Protoform

Post by Bludgeon-X »

Uhhmmm... NOPE :down:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I keep boxes (as in rectangulary things that toys can be put in, none of that blister card bullshit...), partly because I have limited shelf-space so custom-made storage is the win, and partly because there's a fair chance I'll be moving it on at some point in the future... But everything gets opened and spends a minimum of a week kicking around on the desk/window sill.

I do love toy packaging, especially 1980s Japanese stuff with big styro inserts, cutaway diagrams on the boxes and big painted artwork... but Transformers has generally had really bad stuff done, the one exception being the TF Collection reissues.

But keeping toys sealed is the act of a cretin.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I only keep the boxes of henkei releases and masterpiece figures [when it comes to transformers, that is]. Everything is released and displayed, however.

It goes without saying I keep the boxes of the SOC line and the other die-cast robots I have [styrofoam is great], even that Reideen box that the cats torn apart :lol:

Only TF I got to keep sealed was the second BT Mirage Clear Ver. I had, which was purchased solely with the intention to re-sell in the future.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

SoC boxes are essential, I can never get everything to balance on the little weapons stands.
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

They are toys. Toys are meant to be played with.
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

I personally don't see the point in leaving a TF in it's package unopened. I don't usually keep the package either.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Hound

Post by Hound »

Ok this might start some kind of fight or whatever but I'm just gonna say it.

If you ask me, if you buy a toy or comic or something with no intention of opening it up and playing with it/reading it then you've got no real love for it. You're just looking to make some money.

You don't appreciate a toy until you've taken it out of it's package and played with it a bit, not really. You can appreciate it's value, it's ability to make you money down the road but that's all.

I love all my TFs.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Biblically?

Nope. All of mine are open. G1 Reissue Megs is in his box, but he's been out before, and the only reason he's in there is because I've no other way to display him.
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

Dead Man Wade wrote:Biblically?

Nope. All of mine are open. G1 Reissue Megs is in his box, but he's been out before, and the only reason he's in there is because I've no other way to display him.
Yeah. I don't have the room to display my G1 toys, so they sit in their TFC/Commemorative boxes ('cept Encore Ratchet, he sits in Tracks Hasbro Commemorative box with him), until a I have a bit more room. The TFC boxes would be the only ones I'd keep, too.
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I agree mostly with Hound. I open all the toys I buy, but do keep some boxes on hand if they are interesting and/or nice. For instance I usually keep my Japanese Beast Wars boxes, TF Collection reissues, Sonoking boxes, ect. The main reasoning behind that is because of storage concerns and the fact that I like the box art and so forth on some of that stuff. I keep all my Kiss Players stuff in the box for instance, because I like the artwork as well as the figures, however they have all been opened and on display at some time or another.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I kept the back card for Henkei Astrotrain, and some Movie backing cards, but the rest is all gone.

I do have instructions for almost every Transformer I own, though. (Except for used ones that came without)
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

All mine are open. That's really the only true way to enjoy Transformers. Whilst I do love boxart, I have no extra room for it, so incidentally it gets trashed. But these toys are meant for playing! A TF isn't a TF if it isn't TFing.

Now, there would be sense to keep a Transformer in unopened in the event that you buy two; one to play and one to display in the box. That's the only reasoning I see, and I don't have the cash to do all that.
Civ

Post by Civ »

So far, I've opened all of mine save three: Encore Trailbreaker because I wanted one to keep boxed (there is another that I've opened), MP3 Blue Soundwave (have a white one that I liked better, so I'm keeping this one for resale value), and 2007 Movie Starscream and had it signed by Daniel Ross.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

I used to keep all of my figures in the original packaging. I still have some Beast machine figures in the box like the BM Cheetor and Rattrap. I also have an Optimal Optimus in the package as well and a bunch more like RID Ultra Magnus.

Most of the stuff I buy gets opened now. My reissues have been opened and then put back into the boxes after display, but I am kind of digging the classic series, so that is what I have on display atm.

I don't know, there are valid points for either opening or not opening the toys. One one side, if the toy is a collectible, it would be more valuable unopened, and on the other side, if you want to enjoy the figure or want to display the figure, then opening the package is necessary.

Who would have ever thought a toy like the dragon Scourge would have ever been worth $100 on eBay? Not me..when I first saw it I thought it was a really funny looking version of Scourge. One of my favorite versions is the RID one.

At any rate, I'm rambling and going off of very little sleep, so I think I will call it a night.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Never. I open my toys immediately, though I keep the packaging to store toys that are not displayed.

Transformers are toys! They need to be played with, etc etc. Packaging I keep in a little shelf, while the boxes are used to store them toys.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

I kept some Bumblebees (08 camaro, titanium 3 inch) in packages, during the time when they were saleable for double their retail value. They're still unopened, i'm happy with my stealth and Premium.

I kept the boxes for some of my really long time grails, like my Korean RiD Rail Racer and Brave DeathGarrygun.

Everything else is out of the boxe, and played with.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Hound wrote:You're just looking to make some money.
Hey, I'm not the one who decided on capitalism.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

Hound wrote:If you ask me, if you buy a toy or comic or something with no intention of opening it up and playing with it/reading it then you've got no real love for it. You're just looking to make some money.
I disagree, i've bought a few things with the express intention of re-selling them later. though i've usually bought one for myself too, and not sold the others until they've 'paid' for the one i'm keeping.

back to topic, yes, almost everything i keep for myself gets opened, unless i already have one out somewhere. i try to keep card backs and older/unusual packaging; that and the henkei packaging which is gorgeous in itself. animated/movie boxes get binned.