[Original RPG] Summary of old threads? [input requested]

Got a story idea, or something you'd like to chat about?
Warcry

Summary of old threads? [input requested]

Post by Warcry »

[Note: this is re: a convo I had with Scout about a week ago, but I'd really like to hear the other players' opinions on this]

This is basically geared to fix the 'I have no freaking idea what's going on' problem that many newbies have when they join up, and which probably deters many posters from ever joining up.

We were discussing the viability of creating a single, easy-to-read summary of everything that's happened all the way back to the beginning of the game (yes, I realize that the older threads are gone from the board, but hopefully that won't pose a problem). I realize that this is probably overkill, but it will certainly eliminate the problem.

[Note: 'everthing' doesn't mean 'every single event that occured', just major events that effect the flow of the game's storyline.]

Of course, the summary would have to be of managable length (otherwise it would defeat the purpose of having it in the first place), but it would also need to have a good enough amount of detail to accurately portray the events of the game. Balancing both of those concerns might turn out to be hard to do.

So I'd like to get your input on the following:
-Do you think this would actually help attract new players?

-Newer players, would something like this have helped you when you first started playing?

-People who don't play but lurk here anyway, would this make you more likely to join?

-How would you like the summary to be structured? What could we do to make it easily understandable?

-Would you be willing to help out by summarizing some of the older threads?

[Long-term players would be prefered for the summaries, since they'd have insight into the old threads that people that didn't play them won't. However, if the project is a go we won't turn away anyone who's willing to help (so long as they can type understandably and don't mind having their work edited a bit for clarity's sake).]

Thanks in advance to anyone who leaves constructive comments.
Blaster

Re: Summary of old threads? [input requested]

Post by Blaster »

Originally posted by Warcry

So I'd like to get your input on the following:
-Do you think this would actually help attract new players?

Not only would it attract new players, it may bring back old players who got lost in transition or had to take a break for what ever reason.

-How would you like the summary to be structured? What could we do to make it easily understandable?

Summerise what happened in each chapter.

so it is like

Chapter 1:

Whatever major happened

Chapter 2:

Whatever major happened

so on and so forth and then put what major happened in like note taking form, than put somewhat major things that occured under these events (deaths to characters and the like. Revivals)

-Would you be willing to help out by summarizing some of the older threads?

From what I can remember of first joining yes I would help.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

So like this, maybe?
Thread One
Summary
-Major Event One
-Major Event Two
-Major Event Three
-etc...

Killed Characters
-Character One (how he died)
-Character Two (how he died)
-Character Three (how he died)
-etc...

Revived Characters
-Character One (how he was revived)
-Character Two (how he was revived)
-Character Three (how he was revived)
-etc...

Thread Two
Summary
-Major Event One
-et cetera...
What do you think? We wouldn't have to worry about grammar and the like so much since we wouldn't necessarily have to put the points in full sentences. It would be easier on the writers and easier on the editor as well.

Also, Blaster, if you'd like to write summaries, would you maybe like to do some of the threads where Karandras had a major role? He's a pretty unique character and I'm not sure there are that many people who could actually summarize the motives behind his actions that well...
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Also, Blaster, if you'd like to write summaries, would you maybe like to do some of the threads where Karandras had a major role?

Don't bring him up. I still cry cause the mean ol' mods won't let me play him! *sniffle*

Yes I could go through the two/three threads he was kicking around in. I can also chip in what I remember from the games start back on Earth. The way you set it up doesn't look like how I had it in my mind but would work just the same.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Scout

Post by Scout »

It's a terrific idea fellas!

Maybe try it in summaries for the different story arcs... Have a volunteer do a summary for each segment.

Extinction Agenda

Picking up the Pieces

The Chaos Effect ---Civil War
The Chaos Effect ---Metrotitan

Divided Loyalties----- this one is very complex to try and explain. A generalized summary would be very helpful, and whoever writes it could save some of their own time by snatching the bits I wrote up in synopsis threads.

Transitions Cybertron and the flight from the planet

Returns The Return to Earth

Broken Peace: War Dawn The first attack

Broken Peace: Battle Scars The aftermath of the first attack
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

The problem with that is that some of those arcs are incredably huge. Divided Loyalties most of all. If we run with this idea, it'd be best to chop some of the arcs in half, or in thirds. Depends on how many volunteers we get, though.

In general your idea is a good one, though I think it needs a bit of polishing. I'll give it a bit of thought and try to come up with something, though.

Now, on a side topic, Scout, didn't you say you had most of the old threads saved somewhere? It's not that important now, but if you or someone else has them, summarizing 'em won't be a problem when the time comes (I won't worry about it too much until the newer threads are done, though).

Also, who were the 'original' RPGers? Which of them could be roped into helping out with the old stuff?
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Also, who were the 'original' RPGers? Which of them could be roped into helping out with the old stuff?

People I can remember are Me, Sadie, Skywarp, Galvatron, Vin Ghostal, Brendocon, Philcom, I think Jinrai's been around though I am not to sure, Bombshell and I think Ravage may have been around aswell. That is all I can think of for now.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Originally posted by Blaster
People I can remember are Me, Sadie, Skywarp, Galvatron, Vin Ghostal, Brendocon, Philcom, I think Jinrai's been around though I am not to sure, Bombshell and I think Ravage may have been around aswell. That is all I can think of for now.
Yep, all of them (Jinners and Rav were around from the start) and myself, but I don't think most of them would be contributing...

I would definitely be willing to help with anything from the very beginning.
Flec's selling a lot of RID, Armada, and Energon, and a few G1 toys. 'S all I'm sayin'.
The TFArchive RPG - "the most popular part of the site[!]" - Skywarp. Darn tootin'.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Flec: Any help in that regard would be great, since I really can't see too many of the other players on that list, even the ones that are still playing, having the time to help out.

It occurs to me, though, that I really don't have a clue how far back the game goes; all I've ever seen is the stuff that's currently on the board. About how many months/years of game was there before that, if you can remember?
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

The first threads were launched on approximately 16 August, 2001, which featured the Decepticons struggling to survive on Charr and Gigatron reviving Galvatron from his icy tomb on Earth. Approximately.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

That's good, then; it's only another ten or so months worth of stuff to write up, on top of the nearly two years worth of stuff still on the board--not quite as much as I'd feared. The project will certainly be doable, then.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

OK, I've broken up the post-Extinction Agenda threads into several chunks of managable size. If you have any ideas about how to structure the chunks better or want to volunteer to work on a certain chunk, just drop a post in this topic.

As for the stuff Extinction Agenda and earlier, I'm willing to take suggestions. Right now, I'm leaning towards getting someone (Flec, if he's willing) to just summarize all of that stuff as briefly as reasonably possible, and then tacking it onto the beginning of the summaries as 'background info' or somesuch. Since the old threads are gone our options are rather limited, but if someone has a better idea, please step forward.

Also, if I've missed any threads (which I prob'ly have), do please let me know.

Picking Up the Pieces [COMPLETE]
----Aftermath
----Picking up the Pieces [Autobot and Decepticon]
----Karandras Strikes
----Breakout
----Autobot: Race Against Time
----A Call to Arms
----Waiting Game
----The Cultural Resurrection

Chaos Effect (Warcry)
----Thunderwing’s Quest
----Civil War Autobot
----Civil War: Chaos Reigns
----Civil War: Till All Are One
----Peace At Last?
----Back to the Lab
----Training Day
----the first six posts of ‘God Gambit Revisited’ (up until A-Train’s departure)

Chaos Effect: Divided Loyalties (Contributor wanted)
----Divided Loyalties: Optimus Prime
----Divided Loyalties: Optimus Prime II
----Divided Loyalties: Teratron
----Divided Loyalties: Rodimus Convoy
----Divided Loyalties: The Emperor Returns

Chaos Effect: Escalation (Contributor wanted)
----Twisted Ambition (Thunderwing)
----Peaceful Intentions (Optimus)
----The First Strike (Rodimus)
----Entering the Fray (Teratron)
----the remainder of ‘God Gambit Revisited’

Chaos Effect: Divine Right (Contributor wanted)
----Divine Right (Thunderwing)
----Clash of the Titans (Optimus + Rodimus)
----Resurrection (Teratron)
----The End Game: Cybertron

Hell on Earth [COMPLETE]
----An Angry Swarm
----Chaos Effect: Earth
----Divided Loyalties C3: Reclaiming the Planet
----Divided Loyalties C5: Reclaiming the Earth

Transitions [COMPLETE]
----New Quintessa
----Transitions: Cybertron

Returns [COMPLETE]
----Returns: The Homecoming
----Returns: The Homecoming Part 2

Broken Peace: War Dawn (Brave Max)
----Chapter One (Autobots and Decepticons)
----Chapter Two: War Dawn (Autobots, Decepticons, Metroplex, Fort Max)

Broken Peace: Battle Scars (Brave Max [?])
----Chapter Three: Battle Scars (Autobot and Decepticon)

For my part, I've started work summarizing the Returns segment, and I'll have it done in a few days. Anyone who volunteers to summarize a segment can use that as a general guide of the style I'll be using, and if you structure your work similar to mine it would be appricated.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Hey Warcry, I haven't been around alot for RPGing but I can summerize War Dawn and Battle Scars if you'd like (only thing I've been around for). It might take me a week, because of the Move and planning stuff - but I'll do what I can, if you need the help
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Brave, if you'd take War Dawn, that'd be great. You can take Battle Scars too, if you want, but keep in mind that it's still going on, and might be for a long time yet.

Don't worry about how long it takes...a week, even a month, is perfectly acceptable. After all, it'd take me a lot longer if I had to do all of this by myself...
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Cool - But if I don't start now, I won't get a chance until Mid-June so.... I'll have it done as fast as I can

Cheers on the very brave plan :D
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Thanks for the help. But save the cheers until the project's done; everyone who helps out will have them coming, then.

Oh, BTW, Scout tells me that the Battle Scars threads will be closed in a few days, so feel free to work on it if you want to.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Summary Thread: this is where the finished summaries are going to end up being placed.

Brave Max and anyone who's going to be helping out, PM your summaries to me and I'll edit them into the proper spot (giving proper credit to the writer, of course).

Take a look at how I did the summary of Returns, and try to structure your work as close to that as possible.

Oh, and if you post in there I'll flay you and use your skin as a cloak. :)

For my part, I'll take a crack at summarizing Transitions now.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Transitions is done. On to 'Hell on Earth', I suppose.

Now, it would really be nice if someone other than Brave Max would volunteer for a specific segment...you don't have to take on the whole segment if you don't have the time, but any help you could give would be great. Especially from those of you who've already said they'd like to help.

*glances towards Flec and Blaster*
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Yeah yeah... Sorry for the delays, I've been very short of time this week. I'll start when I'm officially done with school (Tuesday). Er, I'll also look over what I may be able to do sometime hopefully before then...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Thanks :) Both for replying so quickly and for whatever help you can give. You can take as much time as you want (within reason, of course), I just wanted to know if you were still onboard.