[New RPG] Characters -- how many is enough?

Got a story idea, or something you'd like to chat about?
Warcry

Characters -- how many is enough?

Post by Warcry »

The character rules for the current RPG are pretty complex -- you can start with five characters, but you can have that bumped up to seven after six months, and a lot of people run NPCs on top of that. I'd like to have a more straightforward rule for the new game, so that everyone can have the same number of characters and it's easy for everyone to understand.

So the question then becomes, what's a fair number of characters for each player to have?

Discuss, please. :)
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

If we go without the Combiner Group = 1 character and the "you too can runs hundreds of NPCs" rules, 8 to 10 characters could work.

If NPCs are needed, make them drones.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

What Heinrad said.

If we forego the NPC bit, we could start with five, then bump it up to seven. (Or just make it immediately seven for the older players) And then bump it again to nine or ten when the players have played for a longer time. I mean, someone had to play the combiner teams, right?

And NPCs as drones, controlled only by mods, would work excellently.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

I like Blackjack's five-seven-nine idea. It's a bit more complicated than would be hoped, but it prevents new folks from over-whelming themselves, while not restricting more experienced people.

To decomplicate, you could just skip the middle step.

Also, as I've yet to figure out in terms of this RPG, what is an NPC here, since most are, in fact, run by players?
verytired

Post by verytired »

I also agree with Heinrad.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

I think the current charater picking rules are just fine, but the NPC thing is out of control. I would say keep it to a maximum of 2 and limit the time they're used as NPC.
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I would say start with no more than 5 characters, and increase it later if need be. And I would say NPCs are only allowed by staff as a way to progress storyline and place hooks for the players to follow.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

For drones, I was thinking along the lines of the drone that was Megatron's assistant/keeper in Beast Machines. They fetch, carry, and make the occasional snarky comment.

Straxus: "Drone, get my axe."

Drone: -under it's breath- "Get it yourself, blowhard."

Straxus: "What was that?"

Drone: "Er..... I don't like to smelt, it's so hard?"

Straxus: -scowls-
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Ackula wrote:I would say start with no more than 5 characters, and increase it later if need be. And I would say NPCs are only allowed by staff as a way to progress storyline and place hooks for the players to follow.
It would also mean that new players will have a bigger chance of getting to play their favorite character. It wasn't a really an issue when I joined, but I can imagine that if the new RPG gets of the ground, it could be.
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I am massively liking Heinrad's drone idea.
Aero Blade

Post by Aero Blade »

NPCs is a term taken from video games, meaning non-playable characters, all the little characters running around for various reasons, usually not important. For this rpg, an npc is a character taken up to fill a specific role for a short period of time (ex: We have characters that need fixing at Autobot base, but all the official medics are elsewhere, so a generic medic is pulled into things). Sometimes characters are put in NPC mode for a short time because they're needed to move things along (like I had to with Thrust at the prison for a while).

Over all, the npcs are meant to be used to complete a certain task or role in a plot, then dissapear again. Things however can get out of hand when people abuse the npc permissions to play extra characters beyond the limit for long periods of tme. I agree we should eliminate npcs expcept for by staff, or or for a specified period of time/very specific incident.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Aero Blade wrote:NPCs is a term taken from video games, meaning non-playable characters, all the little characters running around for various reasons, usually not important. For this rpg, an npc is a character taken up to fill a specific role for a short period of time (ex: We have characters that need fixing at Autobot base, but all the official medics are elsewhere, so a generic medic is pulled into things). Sometimes characters are put in NPC mode for a short time because they're needed to move things along (like I had to with Thrust at the prison for a while).

Over all, the npcs are meant to be used to complete a certain task or role in a plot, then dissapear again. Things however can get out of hand when people abuse the npc permissions to play extra characters beyond the limit for long periods of tme. I agree we should eliminate npcs expcept for by staff, or or for a specified period of time/very specific incident.
You are wrong that the term NPC comes from video games, it comes from Dungeons and Dragon's 1st Edition Dungeon Master's Guide© . You are however correct that NPCs are only controlled by the GM(Game Master..on here Staff) and used to advance plots, be plot devices in and of themselves, give players "hooks" to follow, and fix the mess when a player doesn't take a "hook.

They are not really supposed to be used to develop character or anything, they aren't anything more than back up cast in your story. They shouldn't be used to advance major plot courses unless the GM requires it. They can get out of hand if people start using them as an extension to play another character outside their limit, thus Staff only should have that control over NPCs in this RPG.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

2 or 3!
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Ackula wrote:They can get out of hand if people start using them as an extension to play another character outside their limit, thus Staff only should have that control over NPCs in this RPG.
Me. I'm guilty of this. :glance:

Ah well, good thing we're starting over.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Yes, what Heinrad said... but with some reservation, as I think it would be nice for brand new, squeaky clean players to take on one character while getting used to the way things work (I did and Heinrad looked after me until I was bedded into the TFA format), then have the option of the full five when a Staff quorum agree the player is ready.

Staff to be allowed up to seven main characters and no more than two NPCs/fanmades at any time. Oh, and we'll need to consider which characters should be reserved for/by the Staff as we really do need that strong continuity.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Hmmm... So new players start with 1 character, then 5, then 7, then (maybe) 9?

I think the character cap should be more than 7 (like it is now), maybe 8 or 9. But newer players need to be proove themselves to increase their character slots.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

How about new players are allowed 2 characters, but one needs to be an Autobot and one needs to be a Con? I think that would work quite well and it'll keep both fations filled out. Eventhough I mostly play Autobots :p
Aspiring DJ!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

There doesn't seem to be that much consensus on exact numbers, but it seems like we've got a reasonable framework sorted out.

After reading what you guys have said, I'd like to suggest a compromise:
  • New players can start out with a maximum of two characters. We'll recommend that they pick one Autobot and one Decepticon, but if they have a very good idea and need two 'Bots or two 'Cons to make it work we'll look at waiving this.
  • Once a player has a handle on the game, they'll be able to claim up to six characters. Current/returning players would start out here.
  • Veteran players who have participated in the game for at least a year uninterrupted can have eight characters. However, if we run the new game alongside the end of the old one this rule won't kick in until after the old game is finished.
  • NPCs are restricted to staff and can only be used temporarily when the plot requires it.
  • No more than two fanmades per player.
  • No more than two post-G2 characters per player.
  • Staff can veto fanmade and post-G2 characters if they don't fit.
  • Staff are subject to the same character rules as everyone else.
Does this sound fair? :)
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Sounds good to me :)
Aspiring DJ!
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

It sounds fair to me but I'm going to struggle to pare down everyone I want to play to 8

goes to fetch list and red pen