KO Toys Dairu and Zauru cassettes

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
The Reverend

KO Toys Dairu and Zauru cassettes

Post by The Reverend »

... got mine today.

I might write a review if no one else does - I'd go ahead and do one now except that I have a flight in catch in a couple of hours.

In short -
Plastic quality isn't too bad. The molding is OK - I see a couple of crummy spots here and there, but I've seen way worse. Overall the materials and molding are pretty good for a repro.
Excellent packaging - the faux-Japan boxing is quite impressive.
Assembly isn't so hot. Some parts were super-loose out of the box, some were so tight I'm afraid to touch them.
Nice large instruction sheet. I can actually see what I'm supposed to do.
Weapons' chroming is very, very nice. However, the weapons themselves don't fit well into the cassette holes at all.
Each cassette comes with a label sheet - that's not a bad thing, but applying the things is tricky, and they don't seem to be cut *quite* right.
Sunrunner
Protoform

Post by Sunrunner »

Picked mine up from the post office this morning.
1st impressions? Not too bad. For a KO the quality is pretty good, there is some excess flash that needs to be trimmed off, and some of the paint is a bit iffy, but I have seen much worse. The joints on mine are pretty good, but I have the same issue with the weapons, the fit is not quite right. The only complaint I have is that Zauru was packaged with two lefthand guns! I'm going to contact KOTOYS and see if theres any chance of getting a righthand gun sent my way. If anyone else gets a set & ends up with 2 rightys, pm me & we can do a swap!

Overall I'm happy to have picked these up. If nothing else I'm glad to have paid the relatively cheap price for a KO rather than the ridiculous prices a genuine vintage set commands. Lets be honest, these are hidiously ugly toys, that only insane completists such as myself covet. I suspect the only reason the originals are so rare is that they were shelfwarmers that ended up in a Japanese landfill site somewhere!
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

dammit, Sunrunner, now I can't insist that I'm not an insane completist.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

I figured out part of the weapons issue. Unlike Steeljaw or Ravage or Overkill (or any other cassette-beast that uses the same hole for a pair of weapons), the posts are a bit long on these. It's a lot easier than you think to put one in and not have any room for the other.

They were still awfully tight, though. After swivelling one of Zauru's weapons round and round in the hole, I did get a better fit.