So I finally played through War for Cybertron...

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Warcry

So I finally played through War for Cybertron...

Post by Warcry »

A couple years after the rest of you, I know. I'm just curious if I'm the only one who felt that it fell short of the mark?

In most of the missions, the fact that the characters are Transformers is cosmetic at best. Alt-modes generally aren't very useful in battle, and I'd go so far as to say that most of them actively hinder you. The tanks were especially disappointing, because you'd expect a tank to be awesome in a fight but what you actually get is a mode that's slower and less agile than a robot with a slower rate of fire and a gun that's harder to hit anything with. Aside from the two flyer levels, the only times I transformed in the game were when I needed to get somewhere fast and when I ran out of ammo for my robot-mode guns half-way through a fight.

The Seeker level and the Aerialbot level were exceptions to this. The Seeker level was a bit clunky because you had big chunks where you were pretty much forced to play in one mode or another, but you definitely needed to use both modes to get through. The Aerialbot level was great, I thought, and I found myself transforming all the time to change my angle of attack on the Decepticons or attack on the ground while my AI wingmen were attacking in the sky and vice versa. In my opinion that's what a Transformers game is supposed to be like, and the ground levels offered few scenarios where there was any advantage at all to using your alt-mode.

I didn't much like the selection of weapons, either. It's your standard shooter kit, basically...an assault rifle, a sniper rifle, a rocket launcher, a grenade launcher, etc. Everything is given Transformery names, like a null ray or an ion cannon, but regardless of what they're called most of them are just a standard firearm with little sci-fi properties. It's especially galling because most of the Transformers who appear in the game are supposed to have unique weapons to call their own. Megatron gets his fusion cannon and Starscream has a null ray in name only (it's a sniper rifle, apparently...), but Sideswipe's flares, Air Raid's torque rifle, Silverbolt's lightning gun, Ironhide's chemical sprayer, Brawl's sonic cannon, Thundercracker's sonic booms and Breakdown's vibration generator (which would have been a great area-effect weapon when surrounded :( ) are nowhere to be found. Most galling of all, Soundwave wears his shoulder cannon throughout the entire game but it doesn't actually do anything, Warpath has a giant cannon on his chest that he can't actually use unless he transforms and Megatron's fusion cannon becomes a generic tank gun in alt-mode.

None of these unique weapons would be especially difficult to implement, and between the generic weapons and the lack of alt-mode utility the characters all play very much the same (except for the flyers, who are different than the groundpounders but all basically the same as each other). And that touches on another big complaint, which is the lack of replay value. Since all the characters play pretty much the same, there's no real reason to go back and replay any of the levels once you've beaten them. Originally I was set to complain that I couldn't use the unlockable or DLC characters in single-player mode (or palate swaps of existing characters, like Red Alert from Sideswipe or Cliffjumper from Bumblebee), but I'm indifferent to it now because playing as Jazz or Dead End won't bring any new experiences that I wouldn't get playing as Sideswipe or Breakdown.

I wasn't impressed by the boss fights either, as far too many of them relied on the stereotypical pattern of "avoid a sequence of attacks, then shoot the enemy in his big red, highlighted weak spot while he recharges". Once or twice would have been OK, but even the fights with Omega Supreme and Trypticon relied exclusively on that trope. More fights against actual characters, like the Starscream and Soundwave battles, would have been a nice reprieve. In fact, it would have been great to see more recognizable characters full-stop, even just as mini-bosses or in charge of a team of drones. The variety of enemies was pretty slim, and it would have been nice to have, say, Mirage or Spinister show up in command of a team of cloakers, or Onslaught leading a wave of brutes and tanks, or Blaster hanging out in the Autobot comms hub when you show up to reactivate it, or Prowl among the prisoners they spring from Kaon. There are so many Transformers out there that it just feels wrong to have a dozen named characters moving among thousands upon thousands of identical drones.

The voice acting threw me a bit too, but mostly because they cast the real Optimus Prime alongside a bunch of soundalikes and ex-Power Rangers.

That's not to say that it wasn't fun, because I did enjoy it well enough for what it was. In fact, above and beyond all of these complaints, my biggest gripe is that it wasn't long enough. But it just didn't feel very "Transformery" to me. Does that make sense?
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

You are really late. ;)

Well, I guess you haven't played the online battle, have you? I guess you probably won't meet many people as well by now. Anyway, the alt mode isn't really that useful in the missions but they are very useful in the online battles. Computer AIs don't really move that fast around and dodge that many. Many times you can almost "walk" to somebody's back and melee attack them.

I hope this year I will have time to play FOC. Or maybe after 2 years. :lol:
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Your points are pretty valid. Pretty much the only reason to replay the levels as different characters is for the different comments the characters make on the occasion or for different abilities.

First time through the seeker level, for instance, I choose Starscream which was difficult for me. He has a shotgun type gun [for real close encounters] and a sniper riffle that's very slow and zooms automatically. So for anything in-between I was pretty much screwed unless I switched the guns.

All the guns and fighting style are basically carryovers from the unreal engine though, aren't they? And a good number of them are basically useless. Like Ratchet's or Soundwave's heal gun, that's USELESS in single player because the comrades you have don't ever die for good, there's zero incentive on how their health is.

The more open levels were my favourites. The entire third level [Megatron through Iacon, teaming up with Brawl for that awesome attack on the towers] was a blast, the fourth level had a nice streak in the city as well, and the first level of the autobots was phenomenal. I really disliked the two ending levels, both were kind of boring run around and shoot the red spot battles. The other autobots were effectively USELESS on the trypticon level.

Best level was the one with the aerialbots. That was a nice mix of everything.

Voice acting was adequate. I really loved that Megatron. Could not tell which one was Thundercracker and which one was Skywarp. Johny Yong Bosch is pretty decent for a power ranger in such roles :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Paul053 wrote:You are really late. ;)
I'm just starting the first Super Mario Galaxy game and only played Twilight Princess last year, so that's familiar ground for me. :)
Paul053 wrote:Well, I guess you haven't played the online battle, have you?
Nope. I played the game on PC, and I usually avoid multiplayer games when I can. Too many cheaters. If I'd played it on the PS3/360 I would have given it a shot, though I'd bet only the hard-core guys still play now.

I can totally see how fighting against human foes would change the game, though. The AI doesn't use it's modes very effectively, either for attack or escape. Against an actual thinking foe I can see how things would change.
Knightdramon wrote:First time through the seeker level, for instance, I choose Starscream which was difficult for me. He has a shotgun type gun [for real close encounters] and a sniper riffle that's very slow and zooms automatically. So for anything in-between I was pretty much screwed unless I switched the guns.
I was the same way actually. I found myself running out of ammo for the default guns with Screamer really quickly if I got sucked into a firefight, so I mostly hung back behind cover and sniped while Thundercracker and Skywarp got pumped full of lead. Which I suppose is a Starscreamy thing to do...
Knightdramon wrote:All the guns and fighting style are basically carryovers from the unreal engine though, aren't they?
Pretty much, although a lot of games use that engine and don't have cookie cutter weapons kit. I've seen all sorts of sci-fi weapons implemented in Unreal, so it's not like they couldn't do it. I mean, the useless healing gun has energy weapon-style effects.
Knightdramon wrote: And a good number of them are basically useless. Like Ratchet's or Soundwave's heal gun, that's USELESS in single player because the comrades you have don't ever die for good, there's zero incentive on how their health is.
It's even worse than useless, because if you're playing that character at all you've made sure that there's no one there to heal you when you get shot up.
Knightdramon wrote:I really disliked the two ending levels, both were kind of boring run around and shoot the red spot battles. The other autobots were effectively USELESS on the trypticon level.
Agreed. The didn't even make very good shields when I was hiding from incoming fire. Though the other 'Cons are pretty useless against Omega Supreme too.
Knightdramon wrote:Voice acting was adequate. I really loved that Megatron. Could not tell which one was Thundercracker and which one was Skywarp. Johny Yong Bosch is pretty decent for a power ranger in such roles :lol:
Some of the voices were really good. Prime was great obviously, and I liked Omega Supreme, Starscream, Warpath, Ironhide, Breakdown and Trypticon as well. The rest of the cast, not so much.
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

Knightdramon wrote: Voice acting was adequate. I really loved that Megatron. Could not tell which one was Thundercracker and which one was Skywarp. Johny Yong Bosch is pretty decent for a power ranger in such roles :lol:
Bosch has a large resume of voice roles, many of which are highly praised even by those who usually hate dubbed anime