DC or Marvel?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

DC or Marvel?

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I used to read a lot of Marvel comics now I read more DC than Marvel how about the rest of you.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

both have had fantastic periods and bad ones.

I think outside of Superheros DC defently are the winners. Prehaps the greatest few comic stories ever have come from Dc but since the 70's marvel have had the edge on consistent superhero stories.
RBison
Protoform

Post by RBison »

Marvel, for not constantly (well, atleast not alot :p ) screwing with the characters history. When they make a mistake, they'ree not pulling a Crisis on Infinite Earths kinda thing to correct it.

Altough the new Batman issues by Lee and Loeb have drawn me to DC and the new Teen Titans book looks good too (From what I've seen of it, so far)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

DC (through Vertigo) have the adult comic market nicely covered, as well as offering Justice League, Batman and various cool What If? storylines. Marvel do better with mutants and surrounding issues.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Originally posted by RBison
Marvel, for not constantly (well, atleast not alot :p ) screwing with the characters history. When they make a mistake, they'ree not pulling a Crisis on Infinite Earths kinda thing to correct it.

No that's Marvel's policy of screwing with there histoires and then either:
A) Hire new creators to fix it.
B) cancel sereis and start over.
C) both

DC as of late has not done this when they brought back Hawkman they didn't go lets "Just **** the fans and create
all new characters with the names of heroes" DC went back and figured out to bring Hawkman back (although it was weird) without throwing out what other creators did they kept it all.

Tell me when was the last Marvel did that?

Marvel has "reinvented" the X-Men and Spider-man to a point where you need an atlas the size of a Manhatten phone book to understand any of it.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I collect about 6 or 7 Marvel books per month, but no DC.

So make mine Marvel. :)
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Wow, this could turn ugly if Tom were in town... ;)

I'd have to say DC for me since the Batman books are the only ongoing series I read and they just seem to have a history of doing a better job at keeping their universe consistent. I only know of one time where the books were all set back to issue one for DC and that was in the mid 80's when everyone was doing it. I also feel that the DC superheroes interact more often and in a manner that affects them more. Justice League and whatnot.

Does Marvel even do independent graphic novels? There are tons of Batman stories that are published in graphic novels and are never in any regular series or even miniseries (Dark Knight Returns for example) and there are other DC heroes with similar books, but I can't recall ever seeing a Marvel book of that nature.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Well, most of the comics that I read are Marvel, but I like to watch the DC cartoons (damn lack of cable-I wanna see more justice league). The only DC comic that I get is Young Justice. May get the Teen Titans comics if they turn out to be good.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Been reading JLA since they started the new run with Dell/Porter and the White Martians. Having trouble finding a few issues of 'Obsidian Age' though...

Before that though, I hopped onto the Avengers with 'Heroes Reborn' (please, don't say anything), and stuck until about #30 of the current run until it was no longer financially possible... I collected the first year of Black Panther as well, but when the artwork started to look like Batman: TAS, I just lost interest....

Currently, I'm collecting the TF and G.I.Joe TPBs, so I guess I'm on the fence, but with a leaning toward Marvel...
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Hound

Post by Hound »

I love the X-Men, I really do, but I'm going with DC. Recently Marvel has gotten serious about the quality of the writing on their titles but DC has been doing that for more than 20 years now. Miller and Moore's best stuff was done at DC. Sandman is probably the best comic series ever, DC. Ellis has done some good stuff at Marvel but his best stuff, Wildstorm (owned by DC). Ennis' best stuff, DC. I'm sorry to all you "Marvelites" out there but Vertigo wins this for DC by a ****ing mile. Marvel doesn't really have a chance...
BlueBlaster
Protoform

Post by BlueBlaster »

Originally posted by Hound
I love the X-Men, I really do, but I'm going with DC. Recently Marvel has gotten serious about the quality of the writing on their titles but DC has been doing that for more than 20 years now. Miller and Moore's best stuff was done at DC. Sandman is probably the best comic series ever, DC. Ellis has done some good stuff at Marvel but his best stuff, Wildstorm (owned by DC). Ennis' best stuff, DC. I'm sorry to all you "Marvelites" out there but Vertigo wins this for DC by a ****ing mile. Marvel doesn't really have a chance...

I agree with Hound. I like X-Men and Spider-Man stuff,but DC has had more quality since the 80s,because of their mature line,Vertigo.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Wolfang
G.I.Joe TPBs

Is vol 6 coming out soon? I hope so.
Deathscream
Protoform

Post by Deathscream »

DC>Marvel
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Originally posted by PaladinPrime
Is vol 6 coming out soon? I hope so.

No idea, mate. I'm missing volume 2 at the moment... odd thing is, I can't remember if I've bought it and left it lying around the house somewhere, or whether I've ordered it from Amazon and not got it yet...

I still think vol. 1 is the best, personally. The characters are just great all around. Although I do like Gung Ho and Roadblock...
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

There are tons of Batman stories that are published in graphic novels and are never in any regular series or even miniseries (Dark Knight Returns for example)

dark knight returns was a miniseries about 20 years ago. it's just next to impossible to find single issues.
Cyberman

Post by Cyberman »

I haven´t really read anything from DC, so I can´t tell if they´re better than Marvel.
However, I have read some of Marvels titles, and they´re great.

When I encountered Death's Head in the UK TF comics, I liked him at once, so I later bought the comic with him as central character.
As one thing leads to another, I then also bought DH II, and subsequently the cross-overs, as well as some other titles of Marvel UK.
Too bad they´re not anymore - I think they were great. Two words: MyS-TeCH. ;-)

Recently I´ve read someting from Marvel (US) too - mostly Deathlok. Not bad either.
Astrotrain99
Protoform

Post by Astrotrain99 »

When we where younger my brother would by the marvel comics(with the exception of G.I. Joe and Transformers which I got) and I'd get the DC comics. Eventually he quite collecting and I kept reading and mostly 90% of what I read these days is still DC. Mainly get the Super books, Bat books, JLA, Green Lantern, Flash, and a few others along with the usual Dreamwave stuff. Still read Spiderman on and off from time to time though.

Astrotrain trips: Come take a cruse of the lovely planet of Char, er... ok, maybe not that lovely.