TF:TM - The Ultimate Edition UK DVD news and screengrabs

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Chris McFeely
Protoform

TF:TM - The Ultimate Edition UK DVD news and screengrabs

Post by Chris McFeely »

After a lot of quiet rumblings, it’s finally time for some solid news on the upcoming “Transformers: The Movie Ultimate Edition” DVD being released by Metrodome in the UK this summer!

The movie will be available in a two-disc set – while disc two will contain the original unaltered fullscreen movie, the real show is on disc one, where the movie is presented in a brand-new re-mastered widescreen format - a progressive PAL to PAL transfer made directly from the original film negative. As well as a 2.0 audio soundtrack, a carefully constructed 5.1 audio track has been created to accompany the movie – after the “Prime’s pop-gun” fiasco perpetrated by Magno Sound on Metrodome’s earlier “Transformers: The Movie Reconstructed” release, this track has been picked apart and put back together for the optimized 5.1 audio experience, sans unintrusive whipcracks and other crazy added sounds.

And how does the video image itself look? Well, first let’s compare it to “Reconstructed,” which peeled back the edges of the video to expose more animation, but suffered in the process. Here’s Devastator doing his thing, and Galvatron piloting his ship.

Image Image

Looking hot, yes? But I think what more people want to know is, how does it compare to the recent 20th Anniversary offering by Sony available in Region 1? Well, let’s set Kup and Optimus Prime side-by-side to show it off (with some caps shamelessly borrowed from IGN.Com)…

Image Image

Positively bursting with colour in comparison! And to finish it off, here’s Hot Rod in a four-way compare and contrast:

That's all for now, but there's lots more in the works!
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

This has been listed on Play.com for a while.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3296742/ ... oduct.html

Looks good though. And I just bought the R1 disc!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Looking good, definitely! The framing and picture quality being an improvement over the Sony release alone is enough to make me go for this one instead. But got any screenshots of the fullscreen version to compare?

Also, any news on the extra department?
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

i really like my sony dvd, but the uk remaster looks way nicer, more vibrant.
Come on and wind me up.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It looks as if there's noise introduced by the sharpening algorithm... plus there's a lot of cropping there.

But who cares if the fullscreen's there as well? :)

Sticking with the Prism direct-from-tape, personally...
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Hot Rod looks better in hot red than hot pink, n'est pas? I have both the original on VHS tape and the remastered on DVD, but may well splash out on the double disc release via Play.com. Sod shoes and handbags, a girl can never have too many versions of TF:TM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

If Zone and Scramble City are on it I'll make a purchase. Assuming it's a new sub of the latter and not the "Lets geta buncha guys to talk over it" Sony one.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Chris said Scramble City WILL have the original audio AND a commentary. Probably his own and not the same one as on the Sony DVD...

...which suddenly makes me wonder; if he intends to not make his own a carbon copy of the Sony offering, does that mean the "original" will be included too? I mean, not including both when they contain different info would be...very bad.

Didn't say anything about Zone, though.

Source
Chris McFeely
Protoform

Post by Chris McFeely »

Yeah, I'm doing a commentary for Scramble City, too.

Regards that "carbon copy" comment, I do intend to try and get everything important about the movie into the commentary - if that means repeating something that's already on the Sony one, so be it. I just want to get a listen to the Sony one first to just try and... make it different, in some way. Throw info out at different times. See if there's anything that there wasn't time for in the Sony one that I could do. Stuff like that.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The new issue of SFX popped through my door this mourning and has a small ad for the june 4th release of this-

We're getting a two disc and a one disc version (because you can never have to many DVD releases of the Movie). The one disc is basically the same features as the last reconstructed version by the look of it, though we get the better picture and a comentary by some Transformers fan bloke you've never heard of. On the second disc we get interviews with Flint Dille and Peter Cullen, Scramble City, the olde non widescreen version of the film and a booklet amoungst over grubins.

No Zone by the looks of it. Bah, especially as this is likely the last chance for a release for it. The cover is a bot of a worry as well, a blurry drawing of Prime. hopefully it's either a place holder or poor reproduction in the advert.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
stoltobot
Protoform

Post by stoltobot »

they should get Dr Smoov to retrack the entire movie script as well as Scramble City. ?gfrom now on you?fll be known as sh??tpiece?h. Not familiar with his work?H check Shockwave?fs burden on Youtube.
________
Triumph rocket iii
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Dr. Smoov also did the Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime on Youtube.
Very Funny.:laugh:
Here's the link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bq1_6D9QS9Y& ... ed&search=
stoltobot
Protoform

Post by stoltobot »

Sorry bout my previous post, sent from a mobile phone while drunk in a bar.

At least his previous works should be included in some sort of DVD set. If not, he should be commissioned to do more. Honestly, I am sick to f*cken death of re-releases of TF:TM. Do something fun with it. I mean how many goes does it take to get it perfect?
________
UNIVERSAL HEALTH
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
No Zone by the looks of it. Bah, especially as this is likely the last chance for a release for it. The cover is a bot of a worry as well, a blurry drawing of Prime. hopefully it's either a place holder or poor reproduction in the advert.

I'm probably wrong but I heard Zone would be released. They never put it on here as "it had no relation to the movie"
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

I've been playing with this cool idea regarding the cover art of Metrodome's TF:TM DVD...

It would be grey, with nothing but the movie title and Unicron's face drawn in the 'faction symbol' style - to make it match with the season box sets :D