Ironhide #2 Preview

Post by Grayfox »

Clogs

Post by Clogs »

:clap:

Things are getting interesting, no?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Looks a bit by-the-numbers, but 100% more interesting than the ongoing book.

Why is anything decent being put into a separate miniseries or spotlight?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

This actually looks like it's going somewhere. The previous issue was pretty average and the preview for #2 is a little better than that. It's starting to look like Costa does know how to write a good story, which makes his output on the Ongoing all the more baffling.

Ironhide is such a caricature of a tough old guy most of the time that any little bit of depth makes a world of difference. It'll be nice if by the end of this series I'll be able to think of him as something more than a poor man's redneck Kup.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Is it just me or....

Shouldnt Ironhide be aware that cybertron is still inhabited by the swarm and that cybertron was unlikely to look any different to the last time he was here... 3 years ago?

Also these flashback scenes that IDW love always potray the autobots as the counter movement to the decepticon uprising but if we flash back to megatron, the ruling high society use the autobot symbol - which in my mind would make it an established force.

Basically, They should just admit Origins was a massive mistake and ignore it completely. Fat chance now its being released in the first part of their "complete IDW" series.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I'm kind of getting the feeling that Ironhide's ressurection is due to a "save point" kind of thing. Whatever caused it was obviously before Cybertron started to tear itself apart.

Which would work fine if the "present day" Ironhide body wasn't being used in the present day parts.

His memory could be returning slowly, I suppose. The thing I'm finding really interesting is that his body in the days of Nova Prime's rule is different than it is later on.

The Autobots may not have an army, per se, at the beginning. If Costa's constantly drawing on the toon for inspiration, it may well be that the workers far outnumber the warriors. Once the warriors organized under Megatron as a political and military force(I haven't read Origin and I don't intend to), the Autobots would have had to organize their own army.

The story does seem to be getting more interesting. When's it coming out?
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

So this could be a different (cloned?) Ironhide who has been inactive since before thunderwing wrecked the planet?

Thats actually kinda interesting...
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Having not read enough of Costa's writing on anything else, let alone Transformers, to know how good he is at pulling this stuff off, a clone makes as much sense as anything else.

Looking at the medbay he woke up in, though, tells a slightly different story. If he'd woken up in a stasis tube, or been in a repair cocoon, that'd be one thing. But he wasn't. He was just..... there, lying on a table. If the Swarm is Insecticons as opposed to a nano-based lifeform that spreads out like a huge, dark cloud, then the big mystery is what rebuilt him.

Clone? At this point, it seems the best bet. The problem is, why is be in his Earth body, instead of one of his earlier ones? Which leads into the big question of why? Let's hope Costa's a good enough writer to give us a really good answer.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

Bucquoy

Post by Bucquoy »

I can't help it, I like Coller's art in general, but the backgrounds look... sterile. Even the ruined Cybertron looks like somewhat clean, making the impression of a theatre stage IMO - you know what it's meant to represent, but you're well aware that it's not the real thing.

The story so far appeals to me, since I first saw FFOD, I've been into TF "history".:)
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

The fact that pre-war Cybertronian society is just a carbon copy of western human society... still bugs me.
I really think that their life should have something different... yes, even the cartoons (FFoD) had a more interesting, epic approach to this.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

This is actually interesting. After the semi-promising (read: not crap) first issue, the Ironhide miniseries actually attracted me to a character that I didn't care about previously. Costa actually makes it work, and there's intrigue and interest, unlike the inconsistent ongoing.

It's miles better than the crappy Megatron and Bumblebee miniseries, that's for sure.
Grayfox
Protoform

Post by Grayfox »

Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

It is looking good. Want to read it NOW!!!!!!!!

Bucquoy

Post by Bucquoy »

I like that, too!

The miners on the 2nd panel on p. 4 are in M:O-design, the racetrack on the 4th panel is from Spotlight: Blurr.
Is this Chromedome left to Jetfire in panel 3? Are there other hints to earlier issues?