Unadulterated HATE part 3: DREAMWAVE

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Unadulterated HATE part 3: DREAMWAVE

Post by Nevermore »

Blatantly stolen from an idea Hooks started over at the Allspark a few months ago.

Last time it was Takara. This thread is about all the things you HATE about Dreamwave. No excuses. No defending. Just post everything you detest about Dreamwave in here, be it the inflated "house style", Pat Lee not paying employees or the "Micromasters" mini-series.

For the Dreamwave lovers, there is a separate thread here, so make sure you only post the negative stuff in this one.

Next up: The G1 cartoon. ;)
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Last issue of Transformers/G.I.Joe.

First two Generation 1 mini-series.

Pat Lee's art.

Rob Ruffolo's art.

Their attitude in their press releases, interviews, etc.

Sunstorm.

Unexplained resurrections.

Some of Brad Mick's writing. I might even not mind that if I don't ever see his work again. :o

And, yes, the whole deal with not paying the creators is very uncool.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

i think this thread will be longer.......pat lee!
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I hate Dreamwave for..

...30 million alternate covers per issue.

...G1 vol. 1

...Chris Scarri's writing for G1 vol.1

...Pat Lee's art in general.

...destroying trees for the Mircomasters mini-series.

...Transfomers/G.I. Joe

...saying that they couldn't reprint G1 MTMTE in a tpb and then they did and left out the BW prologue and Epiloge.

...the North American "anime" in-house art style.

...the North American "anime" in-house style of most of their other projects.

...Pat and Roger Lee screwing over former employee's (and didn't
they rip-off their parents as well?) out of their money to keep their $90,000 BMWs company cars.

...the attempt to mimick some of the TF's cartoon voices in print
(Seaspray's bubbling and Sharpnel's electronic echo) it seemed
really pointless and stupid.

I really hate Pat Lee as human being.`
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Pat Lee is a scumbag!!!!

and...

that minicons series. I mean, what the f*ck?>??
Prospector
Protoform

Post by Prospector »

> Hardly developing characters, instead focussing on cramming as many in as possible.

> Knowing that my money didn't go to the people that actually deserved it.

> Alt covers - not because I wanted to buy more than one, but that it made me stop and look, just to check that the new issue wasn't out yet. Confusing :wtf:

> Micromasters - read that ****ing series six times, and I've still no idea what it's supposed to acheive.

> Pat Lee. Obvious, really.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

-Pat Lee and Joe *Grunts* art.

-Having started out really well with the War Within redesigns, geting lazier and lazier with them untill they actualy came up with a story reason why they didn't have to be arsed to give the Micromaster Cybertron modes. And then rather than explaining it in the comic they leave it to the letters page...

-Wildly inconsistant continuity, most famously Wheeljack (I'd bet good money Lee had just forgoten he was dead when he drew him as a background extra, and then they had to run with it), but then you've got confussion over the origin of the triple changers, Ratbat going from being like his Marvel self in TDA to his cartoon self when written by Brad Mick, and loads, loads more.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Dreadwing
Protoform

Post by Dreadwing »

Brad Mick overused the Golden Disk concept. I think there are four or five different ones throught his continuity.

Chris Sarachini's writing.

Pat Lee's art.

Bith of the TF vs GIJoe series.

One issue gets a different cover for every day of the month and the only good one is the original.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Pat Lee, Joe Ngggurgh, Rob Ruffolo.

Using Bob Budiansky's basic profiles without giving him any credit.

The lack of direction for the G1 ongoing.

The mucked-up pace of most of their comics.

The heavy art prejudice as opposed to the writing.

Energon.

The execution of the Micromaster mini.

The multiple covers.

For some reason, whenever they used the phrase "fan favourite", it annoyed me.

The ****ty injokes.

The ****ed-up ordering of the MTMTE series.

Most of the WW character models. Some of those things would have been great fan-art, but were really clunky in comic strips.

The TFTM/Unicron hard-on.

The poor characters, by and large. Armada had three characters in it. Energon had, what, three? Four?

The amount of characters chucked into the various G1 series, which was incredibly lazy writing. "Oh no, Jetfire, Phoenix zapped you! What are we going to do now?" "Not to worry, Bumblebee who's cool now Don's put wheels in your feet, I have Omega Supreme MISB on the other side of this small hill. I didn't want to mention him before so we had a good cliffhanger for the end of the issue."

That Simon Furman, in true Chris Claremont style, resorted to ripping off his own ideas throughout. And what's the point in having Bludgeon as one of Galactus' heralds if he's just a drone?

The insultingly-crass post 9/11 posturing of those ****ing firemen in Vol. 1. I don't care if lots of other people were doing it at the time. Lots of people go out and rape underage girls. Doesn't mean you go and do it, cocksuckers.

And those stupid bits in Vol. 1 where Megatron keeps trying to get Luke to come over to the dark side.

And the pointless resurrections, automatically devaluing any death scene. Which turned out to be fortuitous, as they were all **** anyway.

Putting plot exposition in the letters pages.

Ripping off Marvel UK with the shoddy "Megatron" letters pages.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Thefallenone
Protoform

Post by Thefallenone »

No UK Printage, the only Dreamwave i have is 3 varients of G1 Vol2 Issue 1 (Autobot, Decepticon, Hardback) due to QVC and the last 2 Annuals:rant:

Pat lees Optimus Boobs i hate! :rant:

And the fact they did 6+ issues for Crossovers/First issue when 2 varients would have been enough:rant:
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Post by RUNAMOK »

a reasn to hate dreamwave that haven't been mentioned yet....erh...

the Dreamwave comics were not released in Denmark, or atleast i haven't any, but considered all the bad things you say that actulay might be a good thing.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Pat Lee's egomaniacal personality

Pat Lee's underhanded cheap tricks

Pat Lee's porsche, bought with my money

Pat Lee's annoying baby brother, taking credit when being talentless

Terrible communication with fans

Delays in almost every issue released

Micromasters, the only comic so poorly done that it induced physical pain in me in the form of a two day old headache....seriously

The G.I.Joe crossovers. The art was unique, but where was the story
self-adjoint
Protoform

hate

Post by self-adjoint »

the fact that sometimes 2-3 years would pass between the release of consecutive issues.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A' = A
============================
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

pretty much all of the above
yes its cheap but really what more can i add ?
and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The rubsign in Vol. 2 - did some cocksucker really think that was clever?

That every time they came out with a story which wasn't absolute ****, everyone would hype the thing to the rafters like it was ****ing Olympus or something. Competance and quality should be expected, not something to jizz all over.

While it wasn't exactly their fault, that effectively I have 20-odd comics that go nowhere doesn't help. The ongoing is pretty much rendered null and void due to being cut short - I'm not convinced Jim Mack and the other one would have done anything that superb with it [a few resurrections, a few fanboy references, Unicron turns up, everything gradually reverts to a first-10-minutes-of-TF:TM-"classic"-status quo], it rankles that I spend $25 on a story that went nowhere. Ditto for Energon, which has the unfortunate effect of also taking Armada with it. Armada effectively built up to Energon, which then went nowhere for 12 issues and disappeared. So I have 33 comics that, in effect, went nowhere, did it slowly and often badly, and have no point. Like I say, not entirely the fault of those writing the books, though if you can't make 10/12 issues of a comic go somewhere worthwhile, you're possibly in the wrong line of work.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I had no f*uckin' idea what was going on in TF/GI Joe and it looked like the art was made and then smeared with dirt before they produced it.

G1 Vol 1 sacrificing story for pretty pictures.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I've been going through my TF DVD's, and watched the Botcon 2002 featurette (which, as one long ad for the future plans of Dreamwave and 3H Enterprises, is easily the most pointless extra feature ever). There's a telling moment where, having seemingly been asked about the lateness of the comics, Pat Lee goes on about how hard it is to keep on schedule when DW do so many things (?!), but he's really trying hard to keep on track and even drew six pages in one day the week before. He's then grudgingly admits most of those were varriant covers, which is the main problem DW had in a nutshell.

Incidently, is this the place to vent on all post Marvel TF comics? Because I have a few things to say about the Devils Due stuff...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
While it wasn't exactly their fault, that effectively I have 20-odd comics that go nowhere doesn't help. The ongoing is pretty much rendered null and void due to being cut short
Personally, I think the fact they're virtually content-free doesn't help more... fair enough, volume one could have been written off. Then volume two got smushed into six issues in a failed attempt to give it some closure, then all that backstory got dropped in favour of tangents in volume three.

Not all bad concept-work (neither was MTMTE#8) but incompetently laid out. Plot points handled off-screen in letters pages. Plot points handled off-screen in interviews. Almost nothing in the actual issues apart from a poster art wankfest.

Story subordinated to aforesaid poster art wankfest.

Inaccuracies, self-aggrandisement and outright lies in their ad copy.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

The fact that they made a Micromasters mini series ahead of Beast Wars.

Energon never finishing (yeah, it wasn't going well, but still would have like to see some closure).

Releasing those stupid ass pocket books as an excuse to not make TPBs. Give me a ****in' break! :mad:

Buying a comic and about 1/3 of it is full of advertisment/letters/next month's issues. For ****'s sake, I paid $3 to read a comic, not that other crap.

Using a full page for just one picture at the end of each issue.