Our cartoons were better

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
blastoff
Protoform

Our cartoons were better

Post by blastoff »

How come the cartoons from the 80s and early 90s are WAY better than the foolishness that's on the air nowadays?

We had

Transformers
Go bots (I actually liked the go bots)
Inhumanoids
Wheel warriors
Sky surfers
He man
Thunder cats
Bionic six
Silver hawks
Robotix
Visionaries
Mask
Voltron
Tranzor z
And many more

What do they have?

Power rangers
Dragon booster
Pokemon
Digimon

that's all that I know
You've got the wrong bunch
Halfshell

Re: Our cartoons were better

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by blastoff
Transformers
Go bots (I actually liked the go bots)
He man
Thunder cats
Silver hawks
Mask
Ugh.
What do they have?

Power rangers
... that's a cartoon in what world, exactly?

The new MotU cartoon pissed all over the original whilst it lasted. There are doubtless dozens of people here who'll jump you and crush you into a bloody pulp for omitting JLA/JLU/Batman/whatever.

Today also brings us The Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama... okay, not strictly kiddies in one of those cases, but cartoons nonetheless, and better than those I've quoted by anybody's definition.

There's more. I'm sure.

Though you forgot Dungeons & Dragons and Teh Real Ghostbusters (and the not real Ghostbusters for that matter) from your 80s list. Spengler will kill you now. :(

[EDIT] Kids today would probably say the reverse to you if shown that list of 'toons in comparison to what they watch today. Differing cultural interest/demographics. Half of those cartoons were barely watchable in the 80s.

You also forgot Sharkey & George.
blastoff
Protoform

Post by blastoff »

Power rangers are a voltron rip off
The justice league and bat man are remakes
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

The justice league and bat man are remakes

No, Justice League and Batman are cartoons featuring characters that have appeared in other media. Occasionally, they will do an episode based on a classic comic storyline, but, more often than not (especially with Batman), they do their own thing.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It always amazes me people will confuse nostalgic attachment with quality... yeh, we might not like kids' cartoons that are made now. D'ou know why? Because they're aimed at 8-year olds. If you hadn't seen most of those shows as a kid, you wouldn't enjoy them now.

Most 1980s cartoons are just like Transformers - nowhere near as good as you remember them being, packed with filler episodes and poor animation, and a vast archive of wasted potential.

These things will go on to be cyclical... if the internet had been as large as it is now in the 1980s/1990s, you'd have the main demographic that use it banging on about 1970s cartoons. Give it a few years, these boards will be full of people going on about how the cartoons of 2010 aren't a patch on those from the 1990s, and so on and so forth. I give it a few years, and there'll probably be a big BW or Reboot nostalgia thing, for example.

And Challenge of the Gobots was absolutely dire. A bit like Transformers, the broad canvas wasn't bad (the origin and history of GoBotron was well mapped out, for example), but sit down and watch the thing and most of the episodes are moral-of-the-week trite identikit bull****. Most of the episodes of both series were pretty much interchangeable - Leader-1 = Prime, Cy-Kill=Megatron, Scooter=Bumblebee, Turbo=Ironhide, etc. etc. and so on...
Hound

Post by Hound »

Meh, none of it's as genius as the stuff that was produced back in the 40s anyway...
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

umm sorry justice league is better than anything on that list and how is "digimon" even current? just a glance around a toy store will tell you that the kids are watching something called "one piece", some code lyoko program and avatar?
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

As Spengs said...

For a start Power Rangers (as in the American version) has been around for 13 years, so 2 different groups of kids have been watching it, my group that were 6ish when it first started, and todays group of kids.

And yes Power Rangers is the American version of Sentai, which has been around since the 1970's in Japan (I've seen the first ever episode.... Uggh man, difficult to watch) if you go to supersentai.com you can read about all of the different series. If I remember correctly alot of the material from the Japanese versions of the American series (as in the Japanese versions of MMPR etc) was reused for he American shows, like the fights etc.

Im pretty sure that either in the first episodes or in the actual Pilot (which was never shown I dont think) the scenes of Rita are recycled from the Japanese version and dubbed over with another voice.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

And that makes it a cartoon... how, exactly?
blastoff
Protoform

Post by blastoff »

Alright guys u proved me wrong
And I probably should have said kid show for Power Rangers instead of cartoon
I have Transformers season 2 on dvd
And I still enjoy watching it

Ok
Some of the current cartoons are good
Naruto
Inuyasha
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
Im pretty sure that either in the first episodes or in the actual Pilot (which was never shown I dont think) the scenes of Rita are recycled from the Japanese version and dubbed over with another voice.

The Japanese Rita was used for a bit longer than that I think, I believe the American Acrtress took over around the time of the Movie (which is around the same time they stoped using any footage from Japan in the show).

And rather wonderfully the Pink Ranger was a man in Japan, so she had a sex change everytime they cut to a fight sequence from the original show...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
And I just had a sex-change, too, because my penis just withered up and died.

And all over America, a 1000 ponies breathed a sigh of relief.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

thats ten ponies right there!
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Alright guys u proved me wrong
And I probably should have said kid show for Power Rangers instead of cartoon
I have Transformers season 2 on dvd
And I still enjoy watching it

Ok
Some of the current cartoons are good
Naruto
Inuyasha

Just think, of the hundreds and hundreds of cartoons that were showing in the time of your childhood you have listed only a a select few, and you have only chosen a select few of the cartoons that have been around since you moved away from childhood.

O'm not sure how old you are but there are/were loads of brilliant shows around, these are jus some of the ones I loved from the early 90s til now

Iron Man (the latter seasons with better animation and more engaging storylines preferably)
X-Men The Animated Series
SpiderMan
Batman TAS
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Gargoyles
The new Turtles show
Superman TAS
Beast Wars
The new Captain Scarlet CGI show (which is probs one of the best shows I've ever seen)
Spongebob
Fairly Odd Parents
Johnny Bravo
Roccos Modern Life
Justice League
The New Adventures of Johnny Quest
The Tick

there are so many more that deserve a mention that have slipped my mind, sure some of those overlap in to your childhood, but from the list you made it seems the majority of your childhood would have been in a different decade to mine.

If youre going to argue that 80s cartoons are better than 90's and 00's then atleast chose a bunch of cartoons that are half decent from the 90's and 00's
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
The Tick

That should be all that anybody need ever say.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by Brendocon
That should be all that anybody need ever say.

Which is funny cos I very nearly forgot it