comicbook recommendations anyone?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Prowl1984

comicbook recommendations anyone?

Post by Prowl1984 »

okay, so i've just finished collecting the tpb's of cable and deadpool, i'm awaiting the paperback version of moon knight volume 3, i'm still awaiting escalation and spotlight vol 1 (after 4 months!) and i've just read watchmen so i'm in a bit of a lull comicbookwise and i'm wondering what to pick up next. any ideas?

i had my eye on ultimate x-men or maybe new x-men but couldn't decide which, i was also thinking of runaways, chronicles of wormwood or ghost rider...

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Hound

Post by Hound »

Green Lantern

Start with "Rebirth" and stay with it and GL Corps. They're probably one of the best comics series being put out right now.

This whole build up to Blackest Night is epic...
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Hound wrote:Green Lantern

Start with "Rebirth" and stay with it and GL Corps. They're probably one of the best comics series being put out right now.

im not too familiar with the character, would i need to know much?

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Hound

Post by Hound »

"Rebirth" will pretty much tell you all you need to know about his past. It's a big story but it's not heavily connected to what's been done before. They just finished a retelling of Hal Jordan's origin even in the GL book.
Terome

Post by Terome »

I just mentioned it over in another thread, but I'd put my money on Daniel Clowes' 'The Death Ray' as being the best superhero comic ever written. Yes, that includes Watchmen and that Batman one that really hasn't aged very well.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Does it include Nextwave?

Dark Knight Returns really is spectacularly overrated isn't it?
Terome

Post by Terome »

Okay, Nextwave is definitely in the running. I did feel kind of let down at the end by the fact that I had to look up Devil Dinosaur and Moon Boy and kind of felt that I'd lost out on a great joke. If Marvel is your strong point, then it is probably watertight.

To be fair, I liked Dark Knight Returns just as much as anyone when I was fourteen. These days I like it most for the colouring and those crazy flying child bombs. Seriously, what were those things? Their inclusion is one of the few times that Frank Miller appeared to be genuinely inspired.

Oh hey, thought of another insanely fun comic that could rival even Nextwave - Shaolin Cowboy. Someone gave Geoff Darrow as much time and paper as he needed and now we can see his brain.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

If you're thinking about trying Runaways, you definately should. Brian K. Vaughn's characters are instantly likeable, and his dialogue is perfect. It is one of my top 3 favourite series' right now.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Hound wrote:Green Lantern

Agreed...even though it makes me feel dirty all over to agree with Hound.

The new Buffy series is quite good and there are TPBs out to get you caught up.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Ultimate X-Men is really good up until the Cable saga. Since then it's been a terrible joke. I am almost tempted to drop it.

I suggest giving The Boys a try.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Out of Ultimate Marvel, Ultimate X-Men is actually the last series I'd recommend. I mean, it's good, but I always liked Ultimates, Ultimates Spider-Man and Ultimate Fantastic Four more.

I third Johns' Green Lantern. I'ts great and you won't be lost. Last time I read GL was when Hal and Guy had a fist fight which resulted in latter's expulsion from the Corps. I read Rebirth and it filled me in on everything I needed to know.

Runaways is actually starting to get released in TPB format, so far it was collected only in omnibus style hardcovers and those silly digest things.

Like GL, Marvel cosmic universe has recently become really good. You can start with Annihilation, although not all three books are that good.

I'd say yes to New X-Men, especially under Kyle and Yost (unless you meant the time when X-Men went under Morrison and it change the title to New X-Men - that's good, too). They (sort of) continue their story in current X-Force, while some of the other characters from New X-Men went to Young X-Men, which so far was pretty mediocre.

As for other Marvel recent stuff... She-Hulk? Criminal? X-Factor? Other X-Men stuff?

Non-Marvel... Invincible? Hellboy/BPRD?
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Don't know if you'd be able to track any of them down, but 'Captain Britain and MI13' is pretty quirky and now with added Blade! Yup, he was born in Soho in London, remember, so he qualifies as a home-grown hero... Some of the 'Wisdom' jokes have carried forwards, but you wouldn't need to know them to get the newer ones.

Why not try standing in front of the comics emporium shelves and doing a Bludgeon (no sword) and selecting at random.

Re: the Ultimates. Is it a really good time to get onboard as there looks to be a definite horizon looming?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Clogs wrote:Re: the Ultimates. Is it a really good time to get onboard as there looks to be a definite horizon looming?
Jeph Loeb being put in charge is never a good time to get onboard anything.

Definite horizon's probably not the term, as the universe will supposedly still exist in some form. I'm unclear on exactly what's happening, though that might be the idea.

Though possibly also something to do with me having dropped every Marvel title that starts "Ultimate" and doesn't end "Spider-Man"
Terome

Post by Terome »

Actually, I can't believe I didn't think of this before, but you could buy the comics I made. They're on the shelves in Orbital and in Gosh. They're called Semioitic Cohesion. Look out for the sharks.

I think they're quite good.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Terome wrote:They're called Semioitic Cohesion.
Or even Semiotic. ;)

"You may remember South Africa from the news a while back." = WIN.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Whoops. One of the major pitfalls of having a gigantically inaccessible title is that you really have to be watch the typing or else veer terribly off-brand.

And yeah, people really stopped paying attention to South Africa after the elections. Zimbabwe gets all the spotlight now, the damn hog. Wait till the football comes around, then we'll get even. Oh yes.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Just rack up some massive Human Rights violations, then they'll see who's boss.

You may remember South Africa from the 1989 film "Lethal Weapon 2".
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Halfshell wrote:Though possibly also something to do with me having dropped every Marvel title that starts "Ultimate" and doesn't end "Spider-Man"
Yeah, (March On) Ultimatum so far steered clear off Ultimate Spider-Man. There's going to be a tie-in in the series, but I'm pretty sure you don't need to read the rest of the cross-over.
SPOILER! (select to read)
And it seems that Ultimate Spider-Man after Ultimatum should be really interesting with th enew cast. So should be Ultimate Avengers.
If you haven't, I'd suggest reading Ultimate Origins #4, because it is rather important for Ultimate Spider-Man. Or I could just spoilt it, if you want.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

If you can get your hands on a copy, i recomend Cerebus the Aardvark books, "High Society" and "Church and State" Vol 1 and 2.

to be honest any thing up to "Reads" is terrific.

After that, well, you can read the full article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebus#St ... _summaries
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

My best suggestion will require a little hunting on your part since it has never been released as a TPB..but I promise you it will be more than worth it. My best suggestion would the the Marvel series Hellstorm: Prince Of Lies which ran for 21 issues in 1993-1994. This is without a doubt one of the best Marvel series that was ever created, and gave life to an old character that not many people even remembered.

Warren Ellis wrote most of the issues, and took the character to a very dark place that had not really been explored before in Marvel continuity. His follow up was a mini-series called Druid which did much the same thing with another washed up old character that had sunken into obscurity. The mini-series also takes off where the Hellstorm one ends, making it essential reading if you get into this series.