DC Comics Movies

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

DC Comics Movies

Post by ganon578 »

OK, maybe this has been posted in some shape or form in another thread, but I had to voice my opinion and didn't feel like rifling through the forum:

When is DC/Warner Bros. going to do something about Marvel Studios completely handing them their ass when it comes to new comic movies? It seems like Marvel Studios doesn't hesitate when it comes to developing and pushing out their products via the big screen (X-Men, Iron Man, Daredevil, The Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Punisher, Ghost Rider - and they're at least decent movies at that), while DC/Warner continually drags their feet? (Batman excluded)

I understand that Warner already has a lot of projects that make them money (Harry Potter, etc.), so there's no real big rush to put out tons of comic movies, but there's a lot of potential money to be made from these films if they ever see the light of day!

I recently came across this article concerning the Superman franchise (which IMO, could use a serious update to drag it away from the Richard Donner era):

Superman in Stasis

It bugs me to no end seeing Marvel put out movie after movie of their great characters while Warner Bros. can never seem to even settle on a damn script (Wonder Woman I'm looking at you...). Sure there's a Green Arrow movie in development, and Green Lantern is supposed to film in September, and I hear there's a Flash film in the works, but c'mon all ready! Get those babies out!!!

Granted, there are a few DC properties that have been released, but most people don't know they're owned by DC (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, etc.), I would just like DC to move along and develop their heavy hitters...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

ganon578 wrote:X-Men, Iron Man, Daredevil, The Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Punisher, Ghost Rider - and they're at least decent movies at that
That's massively debatable.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Halfshell wrote:That's massively debatable.
It definitely is. I said decent, I wouldn't go so far as to say they're all good.

I didn't particularly care for the second Fantastic Four, the first Hulk movie was an atrocity - I much prefer the new Edward Norton version, and Daredevil was marginal at best (still can't get over Ben Affleck in that role), though I hear Marvel might already reboot that one much as treatment the Hulk got.

But the others are decent at least, and entertaining. Even if X3 & Spidey-3 were jammed with too much stuff going on.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

:swirly:i wrote something, but I totally didn't read the first post thoroughly. My bad.:swirly:

<thinking of something relevant to write...........>

I think there is a JLA movie being talked about as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

ganon578 wrote:It definitely is. I said decent, I wouldn't go so far as to say they're all good.
I'd say several of them are outright bad... It's been a while since I've seen most of them, but Daredevil sticks out for being all-round awful - badly acted, poorly cast (Colin Farrell? JENNIFER TUKANKAMN GARNER?), poorly designed (he looks like the cocking Gimp) and very badly scripted.

The first X-Men film was very, very dull too, very little plot and very few characters... Plus, of course, one of the most awful lines in history. Which is the only reason anyone can remember that there was more than 1 member in the film roster of X-Men.

Ghost Rider had Nicolas Cage in it if I remember correctly, the man with the range of an American G1 missile. Fantastic if you need that patented Psycho Elvis routine, not so much if you need, well, someone other than a Psycho Elvis.

The second Spider-Man was a big pile of emo shite as well.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Apparently the director's cut of Daredevil is watchable. Can't say I fancy testing that.

I loved Iron Man -- Fantastic Four was passable, X-Men 2 was entertaining fluff. Thought most of the other Marvel films I've been forced to sit through by friends were bollocks.

DC tends to do archetypes better than concepts that translate to a big screen, IMO. Batman works as a somewhat more realistic delivery.

Really liked the first Hellboy film too. Excellent family movie.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Zeeks wrote::swirly:i wrote something, but I totally didn't read the first post thoroughly. My bad.:swirly:

<thinking of something relevant to write...........>

I think there is a JLA movie being talked about as well.
I heard that. From what I understand though, it's now on hold until they can establish the other franchises. Which means it'll be a LONG time before we see it... :(
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:Apparently the director's cut of Daredevil
The Evanescence video?
Hound

Post by Hound »

Denyer wrote:Apparently the director's cut of Daredevil is watchable. Can't say I fancy testing that.
Yeah, I've seen it. It's much better, not that it could've been any worse.

I'm actually very anxious to see a Flash movie.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

THAT IS TEH AWESUM!!!!!!!!!!!11111ONE
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

IMO, I think the best of the Marvel Movies so far is Iron Man- with X2 as a runner up. Didn't like the first FF movie, Only liked the second for Doom's costume upgrade, Daredevil/Electra/Ang Lee Hulk..........um, yeah, I passed. Norton's Hulk= damn good.

For DC, though, I think the best film they have done so far is Catwoman with Halle Berry.

Got ya, didn't I? LOL Naw, definitely DK, with Begins as second.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

ganon578 wrote: When is DC/Warner Bros. going to do something about Marvel Studios completely handing them their ass when it comes to new comic movies?

Well, Marvel studios are certainly aiming to be more prolific but I can't see Warners crying to sleep when The Dark Knight pretty much made more money than every movie ever combined and got big critical props. True, it'll be hard to replicate that without killing off one major cast member in every subsequent film (though if there were ever a good reason to let Nick Cage play Superman...) but I can't see the DC bods looking at Punisher: Warzone and wondering where they went wrong.

I loved Iron Man, but the Norton Hulk was decidedly OK in comparison. I picked it up on DVD for a fiver today, mostly because Tim Roth is supposed to be good insane value on the commentary. Otherwise I'll probably be fast forwarding a lot between Super Stan Lee and Stark showing up to piss over everyone else in the film.

EDIT: Most of the films mentioned in the first post weren't actually made by Marvel Studios were they? I thought up until they got their act together with Iron Man it was pretty much a case of letting the highest bidding studio play with their toys?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Mmm. Iron Man was great, I thought the Norton Hulk was good and like the first Blade flick. X2 aside, every other Marvel film ranges from passable to flat-out dreadful.

Okay, DC haven't drowned us in movies based on their characters, but at the same time they've avoided insulting the medium on quite the level that Marvel have. Stan Lee Inc has had far more misses than hits, artistically speaking. And, as Dalek said, with the success of Batman VII, I doubt DC are too bothered about redressing the balance.

[EDIT] Yeah, Iron Man and The Incredible Norton were the first films actually put out by Marvel Studios.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Halfshell wrote:Okay, DC haven't drowned us in movies based on their characters, but at the same time they've avoided insulting the medium on quite the level that Marvel have. Stan Lee Inc has had far more misses than hits, artistically speaking. And, as Dalek said, with the success of Batman VII, I doubt DC are too bothered about redressing the balance.

[EDIT] Yeah, Iron Man and The Incredible Norton were the first films actually put out by Marvel Studios.
I guess I'd have to agree with that. I suppose you can appreciate DC for not wanting to churn out a bunch of half-assed efforts, I just want to see some more DC properties out there. I'm really interested to see how Green Lantern and The Flash will turn out, and hope they don't get too campy or silly. No need to throw in comedic relief just to make it more 'appealing' to the general audience.

I also didn't realize that only recently Marvel Studios was doing things more on their own instead of whoring out their works. That might explain the better Marvel movies as of late.
inflatable dalek

Marvel's current Avengers plan is certainly a very bold one that, if it works, could be a amazing achievement. The problem is we've only had the two films so far and there's already a potential large stumbling block in Edward Norton looking unlikely to return as Banner (they could recast again but that would work against the shared Universe idea. The only other option is, what, leave him as the Hulk for the whole film?). If Thor or the Cap Movie turn out to be utter, utter shit that bomb badly the whole idea is undone.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

inflatable dalek wrote:they could recast again but that would work against the shared Universe idea
Jim Rhodes has already been recasted for Iron Man 2.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
inflatable dalek

Ozz wrote:Jim Rhodes has already been recasted for Iron Man 2.

If he's in The Avengers I'll be surprised though.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Surprise!

I don't think anything was changed since then and he's not supposed to be in it.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
inflatable dalek

Consider me surprised. Considering they're heading toward their third Hulk in as many Movies I'd have thought they'd have at least made sure the new guy was going to work out before having him sign a contract (though of course, signing and actually winding up in the film are two different things. I may still be right! Possibly).