My cat was fantastic.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

My cat was fantastic.

Post by Sades »

The best cat around. No smarter cat evar, I swear. Almost 16 when what was probably Cancer took her down, and it would have had to be Cancer too, because she was tougher than nails.

Spunky little shit liked to argue with me when she was younger, meowing her case at me while I said "no" at her, then hissing at me (without any other sign of aggression) and making me laugh cringe in terror. A cat that just sits there, as calm as can be, no ears laid back or angry look in their posture that decides to end an argument by hissing to make a point is hilarious terrifying yet spectacular and awe-inspiring to witness, FYI.

She was the scourge of the insect world. No bug was safe. And she was a stone-cold killer, too, because she didn't eat them... she just killed them for fun. I know, because I was there. I helped her find victims. She'd have me lift her up to a light that moths were swirling around so she could catch them, and then I'd watch as she toyed with it until it was nearly dead. She often sat by as it twitched on the floor, occasionally slapping it with her fearsome Little White Paws of Death until it stopped moving. Gruesome stuff.

She was amazing. The top cat of cats. I just thought you all should know what you missed out on. :p

Pets in general are awesome. Not as awesome as my cat was, but pretty good, too. Discuss. Or ignore, whatevah. Honey Badger don't care.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

My mother does the "Lift the can up to reach insects of out reach" thing as well. I just tell her to come back when she's evolved some ladder building abilities.

EDIT: The cat that is. Not my mother. In theory she could build a ladder if she so wished.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

You sir, have a little evil genius on your hands. You should respect its wishes and do its bidding like a good lackey.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

I already let her lick my yoghurt lid (that is not a euphemism), that's all she's getting from me.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

My first cat was named Butterscotch he was a great cat and he died of cancer about a year before we lost our house in a foreclosure, which in a weird way made losing the house a little more bearable because one of the reasons we got a house was so I could have a cat. I doubt he would have liked the apartment we currently live in.

My second cat is Terri Lynn Michelle she's an evil cat who has the loudest meow you never want to hear, she hates me and is a pain in ass because she's a long hair and her mats and she won't let anyone near her to get the fur mats off of her. I found her wandering through my yard and she was declawed.

My third cat is Liara Tali Angel she is one of the smallest and most gentle cats I've ever known. She's an old stray cat that I found on my the steps of my apartment building she is friendly and she's been my best friend ever since. She's the first cat that I have owned not to be declawed and she has no teeth (that was how she was when I found her) and she is very quite and she squeaks. I think she has cancer and she probably doesn't have much time left. You do not want to be in a car with she freaks out and craps, piss, and vomit (both Butterscotch and Terri would and will just howl at the top of their lungs) all over the place. The last time we took her to the vet she gave me all three.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

When I was very little, we lived with my nan who had a Jack Russel called Wilf. He was my mate and we used to prowl the house and garden looking for spiders to kill. I would hold them by the legs and dangle them in front of him. Then he'd eat them while I cackled. I can remember this being great fun quite clearly but have since developed pretty bad arachnophobia.
When Wilf was put down, I used to fantasize about finding the vet and murdering him. Yes, I am now fully aware that vets put dogs down for the dog's own benefit, and he was freeing Wilf from suffering. But if you tried explainging that to the 5-year-old me, you'd just get added to my hit list.
I was a pretty sinister child, looking back . . .

Anyway, my mum wasn't a big animal fan so since we moved to Somerset when I was 5, I didn't have any more animals until the end of last year when me and the missus got Smudge, our rabbit.

He's only about 6 months old but he's already very sure that he owns the place. He acts mostly like a cat; he's not at all scared of us, and in the space of a second can go from seeming like he doesn't even know we exist to running around my legs trying to get me to play and making me slip up.
So far, he hasn't encountered any bugs so I don't yet know whether he would kill them. He does have a vendetta against the plastering on all our walls, though.
Also, rabbits yawning are the cutest things ever.
Cyberstrike nTo wrote:You do not want to be in a car with she freaks out and craps, piss, and vomit (both Butterscotch and Terri would and will just howl at the top of their lungs) all over the place. The last time we took her to the vet she gave me all three.
The worst I've ever had was a case of Smudge peeing on my lap in the car on the way home from visiting the girlfriend's mum. It both looked and felt like I'd wet myself.
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

Sure, it was the rabbit that made it look like you'd wet yourself.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

When that bugger is angry, you'd be hard pressed not wetting yourself. He looks all fluff and innocence there but he has claws that'd make Wolverine blush.
I like bears.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Had various dogs as pets earlier in my life, none of them stuck around much. Our current 3 cats are awesome though.

Bella's the fat one and the "older" sister to Lola. She doesn't like other people that much unless she's seen them like 40 times. She doesn't really seem to like my folks either, but she LOVES me. I swear to god, that cat is obedient like a dog when I'm talking to her. She can follow basic commands like "let's go to x\y room" or "follow me" funnily well for a cat. She's aggressive towards her sister and the little one and despite a pretty good diet that almost made her normal, she's too lazy so she got fat again. She's freakishly strong. Not stealthy, no, but god so STRONG.

Lola is Bella's younger sister. They don't have any age difference [same birth] but she's kind of smaller so we stick around calling Bella the old one. They're both nearly 5 years old. Much like Bella, she's very unlike a common cat. She's VERY friendly with strangers, has an obsession with straws and remains the most playful of them all. She's very energetic and likes to climb and jump around a lot, but sometimes she's sort of dumb :lol: . She's VERY whiny though, like embarrassingly whiny for other people. Due to age and less exercise she also put on weight.

Trixie is the last one, a year younger than the other two. My mother brought her in when she was hit by a car and we nursed her to perfect health. Even though we took her in when she was around 2 months old, so she basically grew up with us, she's still a wild cat at heart. Really dislikes and fears Bella and even though Lola was very friendly and protective of her as a baby, she often gets into arguements with Lola. Bella and Lola are freakishly large for female cats, Trixie is sort of petite. She likes to hop around a lot. A LOT. Prefers to hang out with my mother.

What's neat is that all three, no matter where they are in the house, come running when I'm announcing that it's dinner time. Seriously, I've had people laugh at that when with some words three cats storm into the room at anytime I want :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Sades

Post by Sades »

BUNNNYYYYYY

They are very much like cats. With an extra dash of "bastard" thrown in, gotta watch that... ;)

We are planning on getting another fuzzball at some point. I miss having a little furry bastard running around the place, leaving hair on everything. Asides from Hound, I mean.

I want a skunk, but Hound won't let me. Neither will building regulations. I assume, anyway.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

My dad's girlfriend her cat Nora Mae Grasshopper had a litter of kittens and we're thinking of adpoting one or two.
Sades

Post by Sades »

^^ Not that I'm saying you'd do this, reading your post just reminded me of this and it really, really bugs me- people who adopt kittens, then abandon them when they're a few years old for reasons like "We're moving and the place we're moving to doesn't allow pets".

I was looking at kitty ads on the internet the other day, and there were soooo many ads asking for free kittens... and just as many ads giving away 2-4 year old adult cats, mostly because of inconvenience.

The poor cats. I hate humans sometimes.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Sades wrote:I hate humans sometimes.
I hate humans pretty much as a matter of course. But yes, they can be real ducks to animals. I suspect that one day, our treatment of animals will be looked back on the way we now look back on racism and sexism.
I like bears.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I don't get why people want to start at the kitten stage... might as well skip straight to the fully grown pain-in-the-arse.

Mind you, I don't get why people romanticise virginity either.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Summerhayes wrote:I suspect that one day, our treatment of animals will be looked back on the way we now look back on racism and sexism.
As someone who has seen a disheartening amount of examples of such in the past few months, I can safely say that racism (at least, I'd say the other is as well) is alive, well, and acceptable in some circles. In the prairie provinces of Canada, anyway. Moreso than abandoning animals, it seems. But I'm straying from the topic.

If I were to get a dog, I'd skip straight to the adult- I don't have the patience/time to housetrain a puppy. Call me lazy, but I'd rather get an adult dog who already knows not to piddle on the carpet. Cats are a bit different- I love the crazy, jump-at-anything kitten/young adult stage. And most cats already know where to do their business at.

That said, I think our next feline (be it adult or asshat kitten) will be from a rescue group.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Sades wrote:^^ Not that I'm saying you'd do this, reading your post just reminded me of this and it really, really bugs me- people who adopt kittens, then abandon them when they're a few years old for reasons like "We're moving and the place we're moving to doesn't allow pets".

I was looking at kitty ads on the internet the other day, and there were soooo many ads asking for free kittens... and just as many ads giving away 2-4 year old adult cats, mostly because of inconvenience.

The poor cats. I hate humans sometimes.
Both Terri and Liara were full adults were I adpoted them (in the case of Liara she was already a senior cat when I adpoted her) and both are now senior cats I know that Terri is over 10 years old (because I've had since 1999) and I guess the same is true with Liara.

Butterscoth was at 3-4 months old when I got him. I haven't raised a kitten since I was a kid.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

House cats kill more birds every year than windmills and have a way of making your house smell like something absolutely no washed person would want to venture into.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

..only if you don't clean up after them...and have a male whom insists on scenting everywhere (for scenting read 'p*ssing').

I'm sorry to hear your cat has passed away Sades.

I'd give you one of ours, but I think my girlfriend might notice. we have seven.

Mysti followed us home from the pub one night looking very lost. We tried finding her owner, but had no luck so kept her. She then had babies. In the meantime, we got Marmalade from a rescue centre to keep her company. After Mysti had her babies, we kept three (Charlie, Daisy and Willow) and rehomed two. marmalade then had to go onto cat anti-depressants as she started being really moody and was getting a bit uncontrollable and aggressive around the babies.

Liz (my girlfriend) bought a cat called Pepper whom from some woods where she was working at the time. She was the last survivor from a litter that had all died underneath the decking of an old couples house. Her mum was killed on a busy main road, so Liz brought her home. Pepper was nice, but naughty. She weed at the bottom of the stairs relentlessly, and on the door mat and shredded our bannister. In 2010, she had an adventure and we could hear her mewing, but couldn't see her. In the daylight i spotted that she was stuck up a 30ft tree, having been freaked out by our neighbours ugly inside out Fly II dog. We had to get the fire brigade out to get her down (yes, they really do this). Much amusement was had as they couldn't coax her down and she went higher and higher into the tree. They got a tarp to catch her in, which she just weed on before jumping from a great height onto the roof of the neighbour's house then onto ours and our other neighbour's roof before leading everyone on a merry chase around all three houses before I managed to chase her into our house. She now lives with our friend Jane whom lives near a small school by a bit of woodland up a cul de sac and is very happy. As are we, now our house no longer smells of wee when you walk in.

Next up was Daisy, whom was very old and found lost in our street. She had really bad breath due to an humongous build up of plaque on her back teeth. We rehomed her with some friends whom eventually sorted her teeth out.

One of the kittens we'd given my sister had two litters. From the second one, we took in Suki as my sister was having problems getting her to eat. She was fine when we took her in. She had babies about a year ago and was really freaked out and our living room was just grim, with her not knowing waht was happening and dropping newborn kittens onto the carpet - two still in their birthing sacs which i skillfully cut out with a kitchen knife and blew on gently to get them breathing and check they were alive- and one that was screaming as Suki ran around the room with it hanging out of her particulars. That was how I spent my birthday last year.

Mysti ended up looking after Suki's babies as she showed no interest in them. We gave all bar one of the babies away, and kept one of the little boys that I helped bring into the world whom is jet black and called Shadow and is incredibly cute because he's a bit dim.

They are all lovely :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Vin Ghostal wrote:House cats kill more birds every year than windmills
The average person's diet over a year accounts for killing more animals (and probably more even just counting birds) than a cat.

Cats are more demonstrably vicious, though.

edit:

How many birds get killed by windmills? Jet engines and even wind turbines I can see... windmills, not so much. They're slow, made of wood, and pretty easy for birds to spot.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Sades wrote:As someone who has seen a disheartening amount of examples of such in the past few months, I can safely say that racism (at least, I'd say the other is as well) is alive, well, and acceptable in some circles.
Oh, I know that all too well living in Somerset (they filmed Hot Fuzz right outside my window). But go back a few generations and "racism" wasn't even a thing, it was just the accepted thinking.
Denyer wrote:How many birds get killed by windmills? Jet engines and even wind turbines I can see... windmills, not so much. They're slow, made of wood, and pretty easy for birds to spot.
To hear people round here talk, they're like giant bird death traps. But I suspect its a made up fact people use to try and justify a selfish desire to not have wind turbines out their window.
I like bears.