Disney movie Hercules

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
starlord
Protoform

Disney movie Hercules

Post by starlord »

Do you find it too Christianitize or americanize? It portrayed Greek myths like they should have been. Hades didn't make deals with souls to sent them to the underworld.He got them anyway since that is where all immorals went.
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.
Sociopathic Autobot

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

starlord wrote:Do you find it too Christianitize or americanize? It portrayed Greek myths like they should have been. Hades didn't make deals with souls to sent them to the underworld.He got them anyway since that is where all immorals went.
Has a single post you've made, made any sense whatsoever?
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

starlord wrote:Do you find it too Christianitize or americanize? It portrayed Greek myths like they should have been.

That makes no sense what so ever. It either too americanised it or it protrayed it in the 'true' way. Can't really do both.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I saw it as more Disnified, myself. Definitely a movie that's more geared towards kids. I'd say that the similarities between ades and Satan were put there to make him the clear bad guy, and to give kids a more familiar archetype of an evil godlike being.

Though it's quite interesting to watch as a classics major and point out the timeline errors. ie Phil is talking about the heroes he's trained such as Jason, Theseus and Achilles, but Jason cut his teeth on an adventure where Hercules was all ready an established hero and was helping him out, Theseus was a contemporary of Hercules, and Achilles was actually the generation after Hercules. If I remember correctly Hercules was also trained by Chiron, as were most Greek heroes. *pushes glasses back up on his nose*

It's been a while since I saw it so I can't really remember any of the other things.

Overall it's a fun movie.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Watch your grammar. But yes I thought it was way too PG, the worst was The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

you thought that was bad check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJIBkqlaQWY
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Fairly fun movie; they're not remotely faithful to source material, though.

I'd suggest kids try to find copies of Sandman in their local libraries, but I'd more-or-less given up on the children's sections by the time I was ten...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

rattrap23 wrote:But yes I thought it was way too PG, the worst was The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
What do you expect? It's a Disney film. These things are for kids. Same goes, really, for historical/source accuracy. You could argue that it can be misleading to kids, but then very few historical films full-stop tend to be all that realistic, and at least the wisecracking animals and singing fish can be considered a pointer to things not really being this way in Ancient Whatever.

More misleading is whichever one in Pearl Harbour went to the Battle of Britain a year too late and shot down the entire Luftwaffe, and then him and his mate repeated the trick by taking out the whole Japanese Naval Air Arm (was it Arm or -force? Wikipedia knows...). Or V for Vendetta. Which is shit.

Best we can hope for is it makes the kids interested enough in the subject to look it up...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote:What do you expect? It's a Disney film. These things are for kids. Same goes, really, for historical/source accuracy. You could argue that it can be misleading to kids, but then very few historical films full-stop tend to be all that realistic, and at least the wisecracking animals and singing fish can be considered a pointer to things not really being this way in Ancient Whatever.

And of course, it's especially silly to be moaning about historical accuracy in a film about myths anyway- the stories have been changing and evolving constantly over the centuries.

More misleading is whichever one in Pearl Harbour went to the Battle of Britain a year too late and shot down the entire Luftwaffe, and then him and his mate repeated the trick by taking out the whole Japanese Naval Air Arm (was it Arm or -force? Wikipedia knows...)
Bloody hell, I knew it was a "America wins the war" film, but that's taking the piss. How did Michael Bay make a good Transformers film?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper wrote:V for Vendetta. Which is shit.
I'd take it in preference to the book, which is muddy, relatively direction-less and generally easily-avoided in favour of reading 1984 or a history of the Thatcher years.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote:Bloody hell, I knew it was a "America wins the war" film, but that's taking the piss. How did Michael Bay make a good Transformers film?
Law of averages?
Denyer wrote:I'd take it in preference to the book, which is muddy, relatively direction-less and generally easily-avoided in favour of reading 1984 or a history of the Thatcher years.
I dunno, I still really like the book. To me, it's to 1984 what Miracleman is to Nietzsche (sp?). Everything's better with superheroes in it! ;)

No, the film's just awful, IMO. Far too Hollywood, and there are the hamfisted attempts to make it a satire of Bush/Blair, none of the characters are more than quick off-the-shelf sketches (compare the great, great, great, great John Hurt being reduced to an injoke ["It's kinda ironic, he was Winston Smith in 1984, now he's Big Brother in this! We've made some prick on IMDB's day with this!"] with the layered quasi-sympathetic David Susan - it's bad casting made even worse by the fact he'd have been a perfect Finch), and even the action manages to his the point - V comes across as dangerous in the comic because we hardly ever see what he's doing - he runs past someone and they're dead. In the film, because it's a 21st century action movie, we get bullet-cocking-time whenever someone clenches a damn fist. And there's the Count of Monte Cristo scene, which skillfully establishes V as comic relief in a film about Natalie Portman being dead dedicated because she had her head shaved.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Cliffjumper wrote:What do you expect? It's a Disney film. These things are for kids. kids interested enough in the subject to look it up...
I don’t think we do kids any favours by sugar coating every thing. I think most kids are smarter then we give them credit for.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
inflatable dalek

rattrap23 wrote:I don’t think we do kids any favours by sugar coating every thing. I think most kids are smarter then we give them credit for.
Saying something is for kids isn't the same as saying it's stupid or dumbed down.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

rattrap23 wrote:I think most kids are smarter then we give them credit for.
Yeaaah... Considering the crap I've seen posted by kids on YouTube (Let's talk Pokeymans!) I really doubt that.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

There's a pretty common tradition in Hollywood filmmaking of ignoring the actual characteristics and personalities when portraying non-Christian gods and fitting them into Judeo-Christian roles (ie. God vs. Satan) instead.

Zeus was no saint and Hades was no devil. Zeus took forms of beasts and then banged mortal babes...you know, that makes me wonder, why the hell these religions aren't around anymore? At least their gods knew how to have fun.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

DrSpengler wrote: Anyway, if you're going to get upset at Disney for changing a story to suit their kid-oriented audience, get upset over Pocahontas, not Hercules. That one was changing history.
And as I understand it, the character design for Pocahontas was apparently based on a Thai woman (I have to actually hunt down an online source to cite this though. All I have is actual text books to go by).

I believe it was Thai. Have look through my copy of "Sifters" to be sure
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

rattrap23 wrote:I don’t think we do kids any favours by sugar coating every thing. I think most kids are smarter then we give them credit for.
You honestly think they should have made a disney movie about hercules in which zeus goes around a screws girls in swan form?

it's not about sugar coating it's about logic. when people want to be entertained about stories involving heroes we want them to be heroic in the standards of our time. disney's herc is no different than kevin sorbo's herc from a few years ago in relation to "factual" accuracy.

while im no classics major ive read my fair share and hercules if told like he was "originally" (well as he is told in the surviving stuff that was written down from that age) would be unwatchable for a modern audience. he was a lunatic who murdered his whole family. this was ok back then in that their heroes had deep tragic flaws but he wouldnt be considered very heroic to a current audience.

this is of course no different than any other era of people. greek myths were pretty fluid and back in the oral storytelling days you had common myths interpreted to favour whatever region the tellers lived in. common feats attributed to different heroes were transferred to other strongmen etc. hell, the middle ages had many older works being interpreted by christian scholars to better reflect the morals of the time. what disney did is no different and isnt really a big deal and was largely going on even in the days of homer.

also upon reading ratrap's youtube profile it is shown that he is 15, making him a kid so his opinion on how smart kids may or not be is irrelevant.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Hawkeye wrote:1.You honestly think they should have made a disney movie about hercules in which zeus goes around a screws girls in swan form?
2.their heroes had deep tragic flaws but he wouldnt be considered very heroic to a current audience.
3.also upon reading ratrap's youtube profile it is shown that he is 15, making him a kid so his opinion on how smart kids may or not be is irrelevant.
1.Sure, why not?
2.That why heroes with tragic flaws like Wolverine and Batman are so unpopular. And movies like Troy don’t win Oscars.
3.Good thing we got detective Hawkeye looking out for us. But seriously you where 8 when I was born your that much more mature than me, Mr. pirate University?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
13thScorpio

Post by 13thScorpio »

Trying my hand at this,or creating more chaos...

1.Um...wtf are you thinking there?I think that's called beastiality...god or no god...not cut out for average t.v or movie viewing.
2.Well,after a little puzzling,not to be to mean,but seriously,work on your grammer and punctuation.You get a little hard to understand.They are tragic heroes yes, but they had to be based from somewhere.Take a guess where..
3.Take the floor Hawkeye.
inflatable dalek

rattrap23 wrote:1.Sure, why not?
I'm struggling to think of any Disney film with Beastiality in it (Beauty and the Beast probably comes closest, and even then it's just a bit of a kiss). Would you really, really, really, want a kids film with a swan raping a woman in it? Really?
2.That why heroes with tragic flaws like Wolverine and Batman are so unpopular. And movies like Troy don’t win Oscars.
The vast majority of peeps out there who aren't dedicated comic book nuts would regard Wolverine as more of a Han Sole style loveable rouge due to the films barely touching on his dark past. Batman is certainly tragic, but there's a lot of difference between "My parents were murdered in front of me" and "I KILLED THEM WHILST MAD BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!".

And Troy was Oscar nominated (for costume design), it didn't win anything. Or did you get confused over the sarcasm thing halfway though your post?
3.Good thing we got detective Hawkeye looking out for us. But seriously you where 8 when I was born your that much more mature than me, Mr. pirate University?
My four year old cousin is more mature than at least two people in this thread...