Any Reviews of RID Op Prime and Ult Magnus?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
PrimeTarget
Protoform

Any Reviews of RID Op Prime and Ult Magnus?

Post by PrimeTarget »

I was looking at the RID optimus prime and ultra magnus and they look cool. but they are not cheap at all.... thats why im asking you guys that have them (if you opened them ;) how they are ??? Like posability and quality. I got an X-Brawn and i think its a pos.... My idea of a cool transformers toy that has good quality and posablity would be laser rod Optimus prime, thats a cool toy. Oh one more how is Landfill ?? the RID construction vehicles?

Thanks!
PrimeTarget

BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

If you're only going to get one, get Optimus. He's got some heft to him, so he certainly doesn't feel spindly, like X-Brawn (who I like, btw). He looks cool in both his normal robot mode and super robot mode. He's got a lot of great articulation and posability, and he makes sounds, if you're a sucker for that. :) Combining him with Ultra Magnus makes pretty much the coolest looking TF that I own, Omega Prime. I have no problems with that mode, except for the fact that he's a little top-heavy. Some people here don't like him because there's a lot of snapping of random parts together, but I don't mind that.

Ultra Magnus is okay in his vehicle mode, but the robot mode is a little weird, since his legs take up about 3/5 of his height. He looks cool, but he's not the simplest guy to transform, either. Attaching his weapon is a little stupid, though. It has to snap into a shoulder joint, and it doesn't seem to ever want to stay in place. Get him only if you've got Optimus already.

As for Landfill, well.... You're either going to like him or despise him. I like the idea that he can combine in 3 different ways, but none of them feel "right," unfortunately. He seems to have HUGE legs whichever way he's combined, and spindly little arms with no real hands on him. I can only recommend him if you're trying to collect the entire line, which it sounds like you're not.

Hope this helps a little!
PrimeTarget
Protoform

Post by PrimeTarget »

Thanks for the nice review! Sorry about rippin on x-brawn. he is cool in car mode but when i transform him to robot mode im missing how he has no hands alos i dont like the huge hood for his hand and i cant figure out what to do wth his passenger door!! it just sticks there and you cant do any thing with it it looks goofy maybe i can take it off and it looks ok but dont feel like i should have to do that.

Yes i think its cool how you can put magnus and optimus together and make a big robot i think thats cool. One thing i do like though is you can put them into action poses with all of the joints and stuff. I did see the speaker inside ultra magnus too like you said, thats cool.

as for Landfill yes he does look goofy, he seems to be missing a middle 5th robot to make him complete.
PrimeTarget

BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

X-Brawn DOES have that little fist that flips out when you rotate the tire back, but it still looks kinda goofy having the whole front end of the car attached to his arm. And the fist on my repaint has a nasty habit of popping out if you move it. I like the fact that his feet are set up in a way that you can give him some pretty dynamic poses, like he's leaping off the shelf at you.

As long as you don't care about having toys where the joints loosen up a little, go for Optimus and Magnus (in that order). Just the process of combining mine and discnnecting them seems to have loosened them up a bit, and I've only done it maybe 3 or 4 times total in the 2 months since I got them.

One other note: Definitely get RiD Prowl. He's my favorite figure of the RiD ones. Great posability, and just cool looking in general, both modes. And hell, you can get him at Wal-Mart for less than $8 now. Get him before you get any others!
PrimeTarget
Protoform

Post by PrimeTarget »

ok i was playing with brawn again and he can put up some cool poses, i think its cool to keep his hand in and use the hood as like a shield or somthing. i think it would be cool if the hood opend and there was a gun inside or missles or something that along the lines of metroplex's black pull out crome missle lancher on his left shoulder, that would be cool!

oh and maybe you can tell me what is the big hoopla over the RID Scourge is ??? i mean its a repaint of laser rod op prime and he is a decepticon...
PrimeTarget

BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by PrimeTarget
oh and maybe you can tell me what is the big hoopla over the RID Scourge is ??? i mean its a repaint of laser rod op prime and he is a decepticon...
Why id RiD Scourge cool?

1. He's a repaint of Laser Optimus. This is a toy I don't have, and I'm certainly not gonna spend $100 to get it when I can get a Scourge for around $30. You said yourself he's a pretty cool toy, so that sounds like a good one to repaint and release.

2. He's a Decepticon. Anybody who has a lot of RiD toys know that the Deceps are outnumbered by Autobots pretty much 2 to 1. At least my shelf won't look as unbalanced with a guy like Scourge on the Decepticon side.

3. I've not seen a lot of the cartoon, but apparently Scourge is a pretty cool character in RiD, so that makes him that much more desirable to people.

4. He's hard to find, which ups the cool factor. He also just looks cool, let's face it. He's just too cool for me (and apparently a lot of other people) not to want to pick up. And the Toys R Us people hate me and my weekly call for it already. :D
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Prime's a cool toy. Fire engine mode doesn't always stay together well. He even has cool battle armor to wear.

Ultra Magnus is the coolest character in RID, but they gave him a lame toy. His legs are too big, but at least his truck mode stays together better than Optimus' fire engine mode.

Omega Prime is horribly top-heavy, but he looks cool (If only they had balanced him.

I do not recommend Landfill, unless you want to complete your collection. The character wasn't too good in the show, and Wedge just doesn't like to stay in place in Gestault mode. If you want a gestault team, get Team Bullet Train, or even the Combaticon repaints.

Scourge is a total bada$$. His spark is basically a fusion of Megatron and Optimus. He even plots to get rid of Megatron/Galvatron and take over the Predacons/Decepticons. The fact that he's a repaint of Laser Optimus is the icing on the cake.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Yes, Optimus is pretty good, I got him 2 days ago and hes pretty sweet, not a real problem to transform or anything, and the armor looks good, the fire engine mode is a bit loose but thats ok. Now I just need to get Magnus.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

yeah prime is great I just went to Walmart looking for Sideways/Axer, but they didn't have them so I bought Prime. I couldn't put that toy down for a whole day. He now sits on my desk guarding me while I sleep.
On the subject of Landfill, I can't get that peg in, the one that goes between the 3 connector pieces of the other guys. I just fold it in and attach the peg on top to Grimlock and pray he doesnt fall off.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

You have to put it in crooked in order to fit the bumps on the peg into the grooves in the ghole, and then you turn it to the appropriate set of arms.