Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Wizard World IDW panel

Post by Denyer »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/ ... i?id=10020

Image Image Image Image

Cheers to Raymond T.

Update:

Spoilers for Escalation and the Galvatron spotlight. And for Beast Wars.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/ ... i?id=10034
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I'm looking forward to the Megatron: Origin thing alot, the covers look fantastic, and hopefully it'll be really interesting.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm looking forward to Hound's giant comedy rear wheels. Shame they don't quite go to the base of his foot, so he can skate around on them. BOOO!

Galvatron, eh? That's... uninteresting. Anyone else finding the slection of Transformers who've had nine billion stories already a little disappointing? Nightbeat was the right kinda track, even if he wasn't exactly obscure beforehand, and Sixshot sort-of would be if Sixshot wasn't a fanboy-supported cock, but y'know, there are other Transformers out there than big-hitters - how's about Tailgate, or Override, or Slapdash, or Searchlight, or Finback, or Chop Shop, or Jolt, or Horri-Bull?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I can remember what characterisation Tailgate was supposed to have, and the names of the others...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer
I can remember what characterisation Tailgate was supposed to have, and the names of the others...

Forgive me for being naive, but surely that's where the writer comes in... We follow that line to the logical conclusion, Sixshot's characterisation is he's evil and has six modes. Haven't read that one yet, but surely he doesn't just wander around going "BWAHAHAHAHA I will kill you with my SIX MODES!". Nightbeat's characterisation outside of the Marvel comic is also pretty generic.

But no, the world needs more Galvatron stories, doesn't it?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
surely he doesn't just wander around going "BWAHAHAHAHA I will kill you with my SIX MODES!"

Actually, that does seem to be more-or-less the character, apart from the later manga stories where he decides that he wants to "transform" his perception and experience what it's like to be human...

The spotlights are tying in as plot underpinnings for the main arcs, so if there's a story in which Horri-Bull can be bigged up into being relevant in those, no reason not to give him a spotlight. Seems more likely that (like Hound) he'd co-star in someone else's named spotlight issue. That gives the draw of a character having a following, plus some identifiable characterisation to build others up from scratch.

Did think it was a shame most of Hot Rod's team were both non-ents and died.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Hmm, an interesting GoBots homage.
Don Figueroa will also be working on an Optimus Prime book in September.

Assuming that this is another precursory story, I suppose this makes sense, it would be the yin to Megatron:Origin's yang. Not sure if this is necessary, though it will probably tie into the Megatron Spotlight in some manner. It might work, though personally, I could do without a Prime origin, as he gets enough fanwank as it is. Then again, IDW just may come up with a refreshingly new angle on the character.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Is that Cy-Kill (Gobot Renegade Leader) crushed beneath Megatron's boot there...

(Had him when I was a wain... he died a death at the hands of Overlord, if I remember correctly... serious death... not the just in this game kind ;) )

Maybe that's been banded around before - I've not been paying attention to spoilers (art or story) for the Megs Origin series. I'm looking forward to it too much!

;)

I, for one, am very happy to see a Galvatron spotlight coming. And, if it successfully separates him from Megatron, all the better. Maybe everybody would stop hating him quite so much then... I've always though he's got a great unhinged character (definite mental health problems there...).

I do have to say, Hound's Cybertronian mode has an awful lot of Earth Jeep to it, but he's nifty as ever. :)

I have enjoyed the first four Spotlights (and loved the inclusion of Doubledealer in Hot Rod's, off setting the terribly overdone character who is the focus of the tale...). Six-Shot did still come across like a killing machine though, with maybe just a little remorse and soul searching. But, then, that's what he is, ain't it?

Anyhoo... back to cooking the mince and dumplings...

:p

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by rubicon
Not sure if this is necessary
If it is an origin, hopefully it's not a "grab shiny bauble and/or get upgraded" tale like Rodimus in the movie, War Dawn or War Within. I've always liked the idea that he rose on merit.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Not Cy-Kill again! He was in two different DW books and now he's turning up in Megs Origin story? Isn't there anyone else they could pay homage to?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

May not be in the interiors, although I think both artists had some DW connections, so it is a possibility.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer
If it is an origin, hopefully it's not a "grab shiny bauble and/or get upgraded" tale like Rodimus in the movie, War Dawn or War Within. I've always liked the idea that he rose on merit.

One of the things I like in the Marvel stuff, even if it is a little spotty... you can lay "State Games", "Boltax" and "Leader" out in order for three snapshots at least. I also liked the (doubtless unintentional) implication that being a Prime doesn't automatically equate to being Autobot leader... the Autobots being a monarchy never quite seemed, well, sensible... what if Longtooth was the chosen one? What'd they do then? Die, that's what. Die horribly and stupidly.

EDIT: Somehow missed the Cy-Kill there. Heh, awesome... wonder if they asked Bandai for permission ;)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, those weren't named on the packaging, for one - http://tfwiki.net/wiki/G1_GoBots

For two, Hasbro own the trademarks (etc.), but Bandai own the toys - lil' Cy-Kill amongst others was reissued for Robo Machines in 1993 [but not named - they all had generic names like the Japanese releases, though I think Scooter got to keep his ;)].

Honestly have no idea where they are on animation models, though, which is where the ";)" comes in... I'd guess there's some sort of problem, otherwise I'd have expected something from Challenge on DVD by now, even if it was an uber-cheapo single disc (yeh, it was crap and not particularly popular, but that's not really stopped a lot of stuff getting to release).

Wow, skipping tracks like a Discman here ;)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Interview with Furman (spoilers for most of the stuff he's writing for IDW):

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/ ... i?id=10034
Well, those weren't named on the packaging, for one - http://tfwiki.net/wiki/G1_GoBots

Though being an exclusive, eHobby took the prerogative and risk to name them in their material for the product.

It probably comes down to the names being okay to use, and the designs being pushable, but not use of them together.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Well, I do like the symbolism of such a nice piece of artwork anyhoo. ;)

Must learn more of how Cy-Kill has turned up in previous comics, but am now procrastinating before heading off for an interview, so probably the wrong time... :rolleyes:

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Forgive me for being naive, but surely that's where the writer comes in... We follow that line to the logical conclusion, Sixshot's characterisation is he's evil and has six modes. Haven't read that one yet, but surely he doesn't just wander around going "BWAHAHAHAHA I will kill you with my SIX MODES!". Nightbeat's characterisation outside of the Marvel comic is also pretty generic.

Well, people are more likely to buy solo stories about popular characters. Same reason why Hasbro are more likely to release a new toy that's yet another G1 Grimlock homage, rather than an updated version of Micromaster Whisper. They'll do it occasionally, but the heavy hitters are safer.

And thus, the Spotlight issues will be reserved for more prominent characters first. If the concept proves successful, IDW might try out something more risky (Swerve, Backstreet, Micromaster Tote etc.) by the time the number of their Spotlight issues has long since surpassed two digits.

It'd be commercial suicide to launch the Spotlight lineup with an obscure character who appeared for like five second in a season 3 episode of the cartoon and expect a large audience to be interested in finding out who this guy they never knew before is.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

From the interview, spoilers.
SPOILER! (select to read)
While Galvatron's appearance usually coincides with that of the evil destroyer of worlds known as Unicron, Furman revealed, "I've said it before and I'll say it again. No Unicron. Not on my watch. Mind you, there is always off-chance a certain dark god might just crop up in the upcoming 'Beast Wars: The Ascending.' I'll say no more for now."
And there goes my hope of a more chracter driven BW story arc? After a nice opening issue, the first mini-series left me cold, and this isn't promising much. :(
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Nevermore
It'd be commercial suicide to launch the Spotlight lineup with an obscure character who appeared for like five second in a season 3 episode of the cartoon and expect a large audience to be interested in finding out who this guy they never knew before is.

So instead they launch it with an '88 toy that wasn't in the cartoon at all, and wasn't even in the comic that much... I get exactly what you're saying (even if the launch point is rather void by them being, what, five, six issues in now...), but that wasn't the best example ;)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

So instead they launch it with an '88 toy that wasn't in the cartoon at all, and wasn't even in the comic that much...

Am I being really thick, or was Spotlight #1 actually Shockwave?