IDW -- 'Infestation' Zombie mega-crossover with Ghostbusters, Star Trek and GI Joe

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Blackjack

IDW -- 'Infestation' Zombie mega-crossover with Ghostbusters, Star Trek and GI Joe

Post by Blackjack »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=28761

Bloody. Hell.

So this is what they're up to now? This would only end badly...
Fri, October 8th, 2010 at 3:28PM (PDT)

An "Infestation" of zombies hits IDW's licensed titles in January

During its Friday evening panel at New York Comic-Con, IDW Publishing introduced an extraordinarily ambitious crossover event that will tie together some of its most popular licensed titles. Running from January to April, "Infestation" will see one major threat from the IDW-native "Zombies vs. Robots" universe overwhelm the worlds of "Transformers," "G.I. Joe," "Star Trek" and "Ghostbusters." "Infestation" #1-2, bookending the event, will be written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (the writing team known collectively as DnA) and illustrated by "True Blood" artist David Messina. Abnett and Lanning will also write the February-shipping "Transformers: Infestation" #1-2 with artist Nick Roche, while "Star Trek: Infestation" #1-2, alternating weeks in February with "Transformers," are penned by Scott and David Tipton with art by Casey Maloney. March's "G.I. Joe: Infestation" #1-2 are by the creative team of Mike Raicht and Giovanni Timpano, and Erik Burnham and Kyle Hotz team up for "Ghostbusters: Infestation" #1-2. CBR News spoke with editors Tom Waltz and Andy Schmidt about the crossover's story, origins and the challenges of bringing it all together.

"Without giving too much away, I can say that we start in the IDW universe with a zombie outbreak of epic proportions. The threat is contained (or is it?), but not before it infests other realities - the realities of our licensed books," Waltz told CBR. "The individual series will show just how our intrepid heroes - folks like Optimus Prime, Dr. Peter Venkman, Mr. Spock, Baroness, and so many others - face down this new and obviously shocking threat, and their desperate efforts to stop it before it can completely consume - both literally and figuratively - their realities."

The first bookend issue takes place in the "Zombies vs. Robots" world, a universe created by IDW Chief Creative Officer Chris Ryall and artist Ashley Wood. Waltz confirmed that the zombies seen in "Infestation" would be of the sorts seen in "ZVR," including infected robots. "The flavor of zombies we prefer at IDW are chocolate with a vanilla twist (and just a sprinkle of chopped peanuts on top)," Waltz said of the "ZVR" undead, adding that there may be another new twist for them in the crossover. "These are definitely the 'ZVR' zombies we all know and love (and what's not to love when they're so cuddly and brain-hungry?), but Abnett and Lanning have something new in store for readers that we feel is an awesome addition to the zombie mythos. And, let's not forget, 'ZVR' features zombie-infected robots, too, and 'Infestation' will be no different. Plus, tons of cool incentives for this event, folks - patches, ash-cans, zombie sketchbooks and more!"

In addition to "Zombies vs. Robots," characters from early IDW series "CVO: Covert Vampiric Operations" will also play a major role in "Infestation," Waltz told CBR. "Abnett and Lanning have done with CVO what they've done with other lesser-known characters at Marvel and elsewhere - they've made them super cool and must reads," Waltz said. "I never thought a space-adventuring, gun-toting raccoon could be awesome, but DnA made one that is, so can you imagine what they could do with kick-ass vampire commandos? Well, you'll know when you read 'Infestation' #1, I promise you that."

Other than the direct threat of zombie infestation itself, there will not be any crossover between the licensed titles, but "there is a surprise licensed-based crossover into the IDW universe in 'Infestation' #2," Waltz said. "But, that, as they say, is top secret."

The infestaion springs from IDW's "Zombies Vs Robots" universe

The tones of the several series involved - "Transformers," "G.I. Joe," "Ghostbusters," and "Star Trek" - are quite different, suggesting that the heroes of each may have their own distinct ways of dealing with the zombie outbreak. "With 'Transformers,' an inter-dimensional threat doesn't seem out of place. They handle the threat in stride - I mean, until all hell breaks loose, anyway," Schmidt said. "With 'G.I. Joe,' it's a bit trickier. We don't have aliens and extra dimensions in the 'G.I. Joe' comics and (you'll have to read it to see what I mean) we still don't. 'Joe' was the toughest nut to crack here, but I think DnA, along with 'G.I. JOE: Infestation' writer Mike Raicht, really did figure out how to make this work, make it accessible, and make it one heck of a story."

"To me, that's the true beauty of this event, because the methods of counteracting the threat are as diverse as the licenses and the creators involved," Waltz added. "I don't want to give anything away, but rest assured, each book will be fresh and exciting and different - each license facing down the same dangers, but no two in the same way. Success and survival are not guaranteed. Our creators have surprises up their sleeves and things will never be the same for any of these titles when all is said and done."

Most of the licenses involved have multiple incarnations at IDW, with "Transformers" and "G.I. Joe" both having titles set in the movie universes in addition to the ongoing comics and "Star Trek" miniseries set in all of the television series plus J.J. Abrams' recent film reboot universe. Waltz confirmed, though, that "Transformers: Infestation" and "G.I. Joe: Infestation" are set in the core comic book universes and that "Star Trek: Infestation" takes place during the "Motion Picture" era and will star Spock, Kirk, and Dr. McCoy. "And the 'Ghostbusters: Infestation' books take place in the ongoing 'Ghostbusters' continuity (in which the movies, cartoons, and comics basically co-exist)," Waltz said.

With both editors suggesting that there would be ramifications beyond the "Infestation" event, CBR asked Schmidt, who oversees the ongoing "Transformers" and "G.I. Joe" titles, whether this means that the miniseries would tie back into the core books. "Yes to one, and maybe to the other... Ha ha! I love being evil!" he said.

Abnett and Lanning are writing the two bookend issues of "Infestation," as well as the two "Transformers" issues. "They've got a lot of work under their belts with big casts, big ideas, and big action. And somehow, they always manage to stay focused on characters," Schmidt said of how the writers' talents come into play for this project. "Their work on 'Annihilation' at Marvel and 'Legion of Super-Heroes' was outstanding and they're just as excited about 'Infestation' as we are. That's a winning combination."

Waltz joked that there were a few other factors that made these writers perfect for "Infestation." "The English accents," Waltz said, were first and foremost. "That, and you can combine their names into a three-letter acronym. I mean, c'mon: DnA do 'ZVR' and 'CVO' for IDW is press release gold, baby!

Character design for "Infestation"

"Truth is, DnA are the cream of the crop right now, especially when it comes to big, cosmos-spanning event books," Waltz continued, more seriously. "They continue to hit homerun after homerun with the projects they are involved in, and we absolutely jumped at the opportunity to work with them when we knew we had the chance. And, man, from the start they've proven to all of us why they are in demand the way they are. Cool ideas pour out of these guys like smooth Earl Grey from a hot kettle at teatime (couldn't resist that one, fellas), and they are extremely open to suggestions from their editors and ultimately find ways to compile everything into sweet pitches and even sweeter scripts. They bring true professionalism and motivation to the event and it's better for it.

"Plus, c'mon - English accents! It's like being on conference calls with two James Bonds whenever we discuss 'Infestation.' Or two Hugh Grants."

While line-wide crossovers are far from unusual, "Infestation" is quite different in that it draws in several IDW licenses, which adds a few hurdles from the business side of publishing. Waltz joked that IDW was able to overcome these obstacles with "bribes, blackmail, and booze" before confessing that, "seriously, when we first considered doing this, none of us at IDW really believed it would truly happen."

"Initially, the thought process was that we wanted to do something cool that would draw attention to our own intellectual properties - 'Zombies Vs. Robots,' 'Covert Vampiric Operations (CVO),' etc. - but we knew that was an uphill battle from the get-go, as non-licensed properties aren't exactly being embraced by the Direct Market these days, despite the fact that many of them deserve the same kind of audience the licensed properties possess," Waltz said of "Infestation's" origins. "The obvious solution, then, was to try and find a way to tie our I.P. into the broader audience our licensed books would provide, but how to get all those licenses on-board was the catch - we just didn't see all the licensors going for such a crazy idea. But crazy never, ever stops us at IDW (I actually think crazy is part of the company credo. If not, it's certainly part of the job description in IDW editorial). So, we all pulled together to come up with a plan that we eventually dubbed 'Infestation' - an insane mission that brings our IDW Universe and our licensed universes of 'Transformers,' 'G.I. Joe,' 'Star Trek' and 'Ghostbusters' together into one massive event, one where they all face a common foe - a true and dangerous threat that contains future ramifications for all the titles beyond just this initial event. We crossed our fingers (and toes and, in Andy Schmidt's case, our Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow swords) and presented the plan to our licensors and, from the very start, have been absolutely flabbergasted by how supportive and excited they've been to be a part of our efforts from A to Z. To put it bluntly, without the licensors being as cool as hell and helpful as they've been, there's no way 'Infestation' happens at all."

Schmidt added that the key to getting licensors on board was a matter of having the right conversations. "It's all about conversation. And a lot of conversations with a lot of creators, between the editors internally, and with each licensor separately," Schmidt said. "This isn't the kind of thing you pull together over night. It's a logistical nightmare, but hopefully also a lot of fun for everyone."
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Wasn't this zombie shit played out years ago?
praetorian
Protoform

Post by praetorian »

"To me, that's the true beauty of this event, because the methods of counteracting the threat are as diverse as the licenses and the creators involved," Waltz added. "I don't want to give anything away, but rest assured, each book will be fresh and exciting and different - each license facing down the same dangers, but no two in the same way. Success and survival are not guaranteed. Our creators have surprises up their sleeves and things will never be the same for any of these titles when all is said and done."
"Fresh and exciting and different" sounds like "IDW discontinuity/retcon" to me. Have they ever considered that maybe, just maybe the fans like it when all the good guys survive and that we like it when the titles are the same afterward?
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

To be honest, I can't see the zombpocalypse really affecting the Transformers. It's probably going to wind up being 2 issues of:

Prime: -looking at the advancing human zombie horde- "What.... what's happened to them?"

Bumblebee: "From what I've been able too discover, thanks to watching a lot of human movies, they're zombies. The walking dead."

-zombies start trying, rather ineffectually, to eat Prime's right leg, what with that whole 'teeth vs alien alloy' thing-

Prime: "Is there a cure?"

Bumblebee: "No. Once they're infected, they're dead."

Prime: "And this affects us how?"

Bumblebee: "Massive-Mega crossmarketing thing. According to Ryall, we have to fight them." -sighs- "And he does cut our paychecks."

Prime: -shrugs- "I told you not to invest in those hedge funds."

Bumblebee: "I know, I know. You don't have to rub it in."

Prime: -narrowing his optics as the zombie horde continue to try, rather pathetically, to damage him- "This is getting annoying. They're chipping my paint!"

Star Trek will have an easier time of it......

Kirk: -seeing the advancing zombies- "Set phasers to disintegrate." -ZAP!-

Spock: "I must observe, Captian, that this was not nearly as much fun as playing Resident Evil."

McCoy: "Blast it, Spock, you know that IDW doesn't have the rights to that!"
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Wasn't this zombie shit played out years ago?
Bear in mind that "30 Days of Night" and "Zombies vs ____" are the only two original properties IDW have that have been vaguely successful. One of them was going to crossover with the licensed stuff eventually.

[Engage Canonicity Scientician Mode]

My understanding is that, as far as it being a multi-title crossover goes, it's actually TF vs Zombies, GI Joe vs Zombies, Ghostbusters vs Zombies and Star Trek vs Zombies. Rather than TF & GI Joe & Ghostbusters & Star Trek vs Zombies.

Whilst it is obvious that, if the zombies in question are shared, it establishes a canonoligical connection between the three universes (TF and GI Joe already share a world, as we all know), anybody expecting Venkman fighting side by side with Drift against a horde of undeads may be very disappointed.

[/disengage Canonicity Scientician Mode]

"Scott and David Tipton"

Christ. There's more of them.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Good on the BBC for refusing to let Doctor Who get involved in this.

The problem here is we've already had the definitive Transaformers Vs. Zombies IDW comic in Kup, that seeing Ghostbusters fight the dead isn't that special or exciting (and surely zombies must have been done already), Star Trek already have the Borg for that sort of thing and, as the interview itself points out, it doesn't really fit in with the Joe style.

I wonder if Furman cried when he saw his title naming system had been nicked?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Plus the Flame stuff already did zombies as well.

Have the Joe & TF universes actually been linked since the Marvel days, excluding the microcontinuity crossovers and the odd strained in-joke? Mind, aren't IDW continuing Harry Lama's ninja car-crash continuity and thus probably continuing the Marvel Hasbroverse, even if Harry was a prissy bitch about the whole Transformers thing? Actually, prissy's probably harsh, considering he ignores vast swathes of everything whenever he writes...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Have the Joe & TF universes actually been linked since the Marvel days
Energon Snowcat turned into a Snowcat. That's totally a connection right there.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Halfshell wrote:Energon Snowcat turned into a Snowcat. That's totally a connection right there.
Oooh, good point. Plus both have writers who insist on cramming their ninja creations down our throats, if possible to the total inclusion of everything else.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote: Have the Joe & TF universes actually been linked since the Marvel days, excluding the microcontinuity crossovers and the odd strained in-joke? Mind, aren't IDW continuing Harry Lama's ninja car-crash continuity and thus probably continuing the Marvel Hasbroverse, even if Harry was a prissy bitch about the whole Transformers thing? Actually, prissy's probably harsh, considering he ignores vast swathes of everything whenever he writes...

From the talk of other realities I'm assuming that, as Halfshell says, the different characters presumably aren't going to be occupying the same space/time. My guess each arc will follow the rough pattern of "Zombies escape into Reality X, Characters Y fight them, they win, next reality".

Closest thing I can see happening to actual multiple franchise crossover is a brief handover at the end of each storyline, and maybe everyone teaming up in the original zombie reality for the final issue. Though I'm assuming with the rights to Ghostbuster and Star Trek toys being (IIRC) with non Hasbro companies there's enough of a conflict of interests for that not to happen with anyone but the Joes and TF's.

Two more thoughts: Isn't "IDW Universe" a bit grand when they've only a couple of original titles (only one of which most people have ever heard of)?

And, if the writers of this are making CVO (which, as I've never heard of it I'm guessing hasn't been running at all in the last 5 years) "Cool", does that mean it wasn't cool before?

EDIT: Oh, and if it's main IDW TF continuity what on Earth have they done to Optimus Prime since I stopped reading? I knew about the slightly desperate "Make Bumblebee like the film one" thing but Prime has a ****ing aweful design there.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

On the on had, I'm disapointed we won't see Prime transform into the Enterprise and shoot Proton rays at the Zombie whilst Snake Eyes screams "don't cross the streams!"
On the other hand, an actual giant crossover would have been wank, wouldn't it?

Also, I hadn't seen much of these new designs either and I have to ask; why don't they have legs?
I like bears.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I like zombies.

But this makes me glad that I gave up on the TF comics (for the most part) years ago.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

*groans* :o What a car crash (with due respect to automobile TFs).

Yup, we've done City of Fear. And that whole thing about the Dark Matrix.